Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs in Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the USA, the presence of food tends to make it a matter of hygiene regulations, so that the hotel would have no choice but to impose and enforce a "do dogs except service animals" rule.
Given that, dogs should not be a problem in several US lounges as the absence of (at least: real food) solves the problem of the presence of a dog.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Two separate issues: (1) Dog in lounge (2) Dog smelled bad enough to annoy other guests.

When I've encountered dogs in social settings (Austin is quite dog-friendly), I have never encountered one that I could smell from, say, the next table. IMO, the OP's incident is an unusual situation that wouldn't represent most dogs under most conditions.

I'd never object to a well-behaved dog in a lounge, but an unusually odiferous one would be similar to one that kept barking - not acceptable if other guests are affected.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:01 am

End of February of last year
I am in the Delta lounge at JAX.
Couple comes in with a dog.They sit down.
One of them gets up, and brings food back from the buffet.
They proceed to provide a full lunch for the dog, putting the food
they brought from the buffet on the floor.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:18 am

I have no problems w your dogs as long as I can not see them. If your dog invades my personal space, it is now your problem and not mine. I get totally pissed off when dog owners insist that the rest of the world has to adjust to their dogs.

DON
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Hello. I’m new here but the subject is interesting so I thought I’d have my say. From the outset, let me say that I love animals and dogs in particular. I love children. I wish that I had some of my own, but life didn’t quite play out that way.

One’ dogs and one’s children are like one’s politics and one’s religious beliefs. They are to be respected, but kept to oneself and not imposed upon others. If the hotel permitted it, then I would take the dog with me. He would sit by me and he would be forbidden to bother others. He knows better anyway. If anyone objected then I’m afraid that they would be invited to go to Hell. I do appreciate that not everyone likes dogs, but then in all probability they don’t like anything other than themselves so as long as they are not having their space invaded by my dog, then we can all get along. I love coming to France as I can take the dog with me if we go out to lunch or dinner (I always ask first). Our dog adopted us. Rather than the other way around. No one had chipped him, and so we took him in.

I am am aware that there is no one more self-righteous than those who have given up smoking, have children, or animals. I am also aware that there seems to be les and less tolerance for anyone or anything. I find people who think they have got the 8th wonder of the world in a push-throne (as for some it might as well be) or on a lead (actually I’ve seen perambulators for dogs who are perfectly capable of walking.

One final point, I failed dismally with my Husband, but my dog is disciplined. If I say No, he obeys. I cannot bear yappy snappy dogs or humans and having flown for BA for years I’ve had my fill of both. No, you won’t see dogs on BA.

One and last and sad reflection, had that smelly dog been a guide dog for a blind person would there have been this thread in the first place. I sincerely hope not

Maybe I should send my husband to odebience classes. Thank you for letting that idiotic though enter my partly blond head and thank you for letting me visit.
RafKa likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I do appreciate that not everyone likes dogs, but then in all probability they don’t like anything other than themselves
That is pretty judgemental, I think.
skrosvik likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by wanderer35
That is pretty judgemental, I think.
You sound just like my husband.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Lake District UK

In the Lake District UK they encourage visitors to bring dogs. The place is often full of soggy walkers so a wet dog or the farmers sheep dogs are not out of place. I fully understand the posters initial reaction but when you see my dog lying down with an Autistic child or sitting allowing a special needs adult stroke her you will realise dogs are more than just smelly animals!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I prefer not to see pets and children in the Club lounge thank you. Should be +18 only.
​​​​​​
Spec1alk likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:13 pm

About 6 months ago I was sitting in a restaurant waiting for my food and a person walked in with a dog. What impressed me is that the woman taking orders at the counter told the patron that dogs were not allowed in the restaurant and they would need to sit outside. I was shocked that she did this, and commented to her that I was impressed. She told me that they had to not allow pets in because they had received some negative online reviews.

The lesson I took from this is that I can influence this with my reviews, and I do so regularly.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by joakgarp
I prefer not to see pets and children in the Club lounge thank you. Should be +18 only.
​​​​​​
You will definitely be seeing my toddler there. I won't be passing happy hour because some people who haven't got round to, or decided not to have children are bothered. If you want a child free environment, go to a bar. This doesn't mean I condone parents who let their misbehaved children run loose in lounges (hotel or airport).

Same goes for dogs: well behaved ones are done. Noisy, smelly, dirty ones should be asked to leave for the sake of other guests.
clarkef and pvn like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by miloworld
Being a pet owner and living in a non dog-friendly city, I absolutely envy countries where dogs could join their hoomans everywhere, like bars and supermarkets.

I get that not everyone's a dog lover but if the lounge has room, I would treat it like witnessing a noisy kid and relocate myself.
After witnessing/experiencing a hysterical screaming little girl at the Hilton LAX this past week through a tantrum that was mostly ignored by her parents for a good 7-10 minutes, I would MUCH rather have a dog (wet or not) in the lounge. To me it's no different than people bringing in 12 family members including screaming babies who hoard spaces, food and have in my experience, been just generally loud and rude. But maybe I've been visiting too many USA lounges....
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
If you don't like dogs in a lounge or club (I love dogs, I do not like dogs in the club), you could memorize these foods that are bad for dogs that are very common in clubs. Then, you can tell the owner you are concerned for their dogs because of the dangerous foods in the club. Kinda like second hand smoke for after dinner smokers. Statistically speaking, the smokers are more likely to kill you than the dogs are, see link #2 . Concerning post #39 , the loud complaining woman may be annoying but it is clearly not likely to increase your risk of dying an early death. YMMV

https://www.rover.com/blog/surprisin...food-for-dogs/

Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke | American Lung Association

and this...

Pets are an important source of health benefits to many individuals. But close contact with pets, such as when they live in homes, can be associated with a variety of risks, including medically significant allergic diseases. Adding confusion to our understanding of the relationship of pets to allergic disease has been the discovery that infantile exposure to furry pets appears to be associated with a substantial reduction of allergy and asthma risks in childhood; however, it is possible that continuing pet exposure may become a risk for allergies and asthma at some stage of life. The apparent allergy-protective effect of pets appears to be mediated through exposure to a more diverse microbial community in the home. The discovery of this microbe-related protective effect will hopefully lead to allergy prophylactic options in the coming years without requiring direct pet or other animal exposure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4755411/
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
There are many types of behavior in lounges that I find objectionable. Loud phone conversations, large business meetings, and various forms of loud or obnoxious behavior can make a lounge visit miserable. A well-behaved dog, like a well-mannered child or adult wouldn't concern me. On the other hand, unless it is a service animal, I believe the dog should count as one of the two guests per room allowed at one time in the lounge.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Who says bars are child-free? While you may respect the bars as child-free, PLENTY of others don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.