Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs in Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Sheraton in Tuscon was the last one....

Originally Posted by CIT85
Which US properties? I have never seen any open carry in any hotels I have ever been to in the US. I did see a no sidearm sign at Hyatt Regency Wichita recently.

There is big difference between lady feeding her dog food at a high end restaurant vs a bi wet smelly dog in the Club Lounge. I don't smell the dog in the restaurant.

Just because you can bring a dog with you anywhere does not mean you get to ignore impact to others.

Civility, nothing to do when in Rome.
...also how would you know if the dog in Nice smelled or not, I was there you weren't.
Finally the OP asked " This made we wonder what SPGs policy on dogs or pets in lounges is?"
My guess is if this was an issue at the Salzburg there would be a sign on the Club Lounge door that said "no dogs in the club lounge".
Now if it was me, the dog wouldn't bug me, but if it smelled I would have no problem speaking to the guest or the management about the smell issue.
Like I said in my previous statement, don't like the local customs, feel free not to travel.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...also how would you know if the dog in Nice smelled or not, I was there you weren't.
Finally the OP asked " This made we wonder what SPGs policy on dogs or pets in lounges is?"
My guess is if this was an issue at the Salzburg there would be a sign on the Club Lounge door that said "no dogs in the club lounge".
Now if it was me, the dog wouldn't bug me, but if it smelled I would have no problem speaking to the guest or the management about the smell issue.
Like I said in my previous statement, don't like the local customs, feel free not to travel.
I'v been in plenty of restaurants in France where owners brought dogs and never had I smelled a WET dog.

A the OP stated, this was not an issue of dog in the Club Lounge per say, it was about a big wet dog that had a distinct wet dog smell.

Like I said, this is not about local custom, it's about courtesy and consideration of others.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
As a confirmed lounge lizard, it's my humble opinion that even a lounge full of dogs would be exponentially less irritating than one badly controlled child, or indeed, one pompous conference caller or headphone-less video watcher.
darcyt, remymartin and msp3 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I’d take a dog over a crying infant, poorly behaved child (and their ...... parents that don’t lift a finger to control them), or smelly humans any day...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Whether a dog would be allowed in the lounge or not of course should depend on whether said dog has Platinum status, or has paid for a Club room or Suite.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by templar42
As a confirmed lounge lizard, it's my humble opinion that even a lounge full of dogs would be exponentially less irritating than one badly controlled child, or indeed, one pompous conference caller or headphone-less video watcher.
This. This the current plague assaulting lounges, restaurants, airplanes, etc.
templar42 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'd take 100 dogs over a single miserable baby-hating nitpicker.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
All the dogs. More dogs everywhere in every airport. That's my campaign promise.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Sorry but this is a when in Rome type scenario.
Twas in a very high end resto in Nice where a lady was feeding her dog food at the table, would that fly here not a chance, but I'm not here.
My guess is those same European guests would be horrified at someone walking in with a strapped sidearm, something I have seen at more than one US property.
So my response is, don't like it...stay at home.

PS. Before you ask...no...I do not have a dog.
+1 and I do have a dog.

Sorry but as someone that travels internationally a lot and is of both German and US descent and has lived in both countries as well as other foreign countries......when I read the OP I automatically assumed the poster had to be an american since no one in Europe would complain about this.

In most European countries it is socially acceptable to take your dog to a restaurant and even the grocery store! In the US it is not but that does not make it an issue in those countries that allow it. This is a social norm issue just like smoking always was. I remember to this day sitting OUTSIDE at a highly rated restaurant in PARIS and having to listen to the american woman complaining loudly about someone smoking after their meal. Mind you the smoke was less bothersome than her loud complaining.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by christianj

when I read the OP I automatically assumed the poster had to be an american since no one in Europe would complain about this.
well, born in Belgium as a British Citizen, grew up in Bavaria, acquired Canadian Citizenship in the 90ties and now live in the US. And I know plenty of Europeans that are equally keen on dogs in places like lounges as I am.

But I'd take the wet dog smell over smoke ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry but as someone that travels internationally a lot and is of both German and US descent and has lived in both countries as well as other foreign countries......when I read the OP I automatically assumed the poster had to be an american since no one in Europe would complain about this.
Then dangers of jumping to conclusion, even for someone who travels international a lot.

Originally Posted by flying_geek
well, born in Belgium as a British Citizen, grew up in Bavaria, acquired Canadian Citizenship in the 90ties and now live in the US. And I know plenty of Europeans that are equally keen on dogs in places like lounges as I am.

But I'd take the wet dog smell over smoke ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by CIT85
Then dangers of jumping to conclusion, even for someone who travels international a lot.
True! I will admit when I am wrong or at fault.

Now I will take my wet dog and go smoke a cigarette in the club lounge!

Last edited by christianj; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek
So today I was in the really nice (one of the best I ever experienced) club lounge of the Grand Sheraton in Salzburg and it just started raining outside and in came this big wet dog - it wasn't poorly behaved but smelled - well, like wet dog.
This made we wonder what SPGs policy on dogs or pets in lounges is - while I would expect (true) service animals to be allowed for sure, I had not been exposed to many dogs in lounges before. A quick internet search found a bunch of Sheraton's specifically stating that they don't allow dogs in club lounges and most don't state anything.

I found the dog smell in the lounge bad enough to spoil the experience and given a choice, I would pick a hotel that does not allow dogs in the lounge over ones that do... And I am sure there is at least an equal number of people with the opposite preference.

So what do we know about dog policies in club lounges? Are there any guides/overviews I might have missed?
I came back from the restroom at the LAX Admirals Club to find out that a woman's dog (not a service dog or even an ESA) had knocked my food off of the table and was eating it. She went off on me for leaving it unattended. I wrote a letter to American questioning the policy of letting pets in the Clubs and got a snarky reply from a smartassed customer service rep telling me that "American cannot guaranty an animal free experience due to Federal law." I wrote back pointing out that it was not a service dog and that it was in a club and got a reply that "to deny the animal would be unethical" and denying me compensation. I hadn't asked for compensation.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MitchR
"to deny the animal would be unethical"
now why would that be? Did it have paid Admiral's club membership? Or it's own citi card?
MitchR likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr

Completely disagree. Dogs in the lounge is way out of bounds because it infringes on the experience of everyone else who did not sign up for a dog in their room or the lounge. Unlike the lobby, lounges are a privilege. I would have made a stink on the spot and would have done the same if a stinky human entered as well, which is often the case when people come in straight from their workout and sl8me up the seats, etc.
I personally could not care less if the animal behaves. I do however not sign up for people making a stink on the spot.
MitchR likes this.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.