Dogs in Club Lounge

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Dogs in Club Lounge

So today I was in the really nice (one of the best I ever experienced) club lounge of the Grand Sheraton in Salzburg and it just started raining outside and in came this big wet dog - it wasn't poorly behaved but smelled - well, like wet dog.
This made we wonder what SPGs policy on dogs or pets in lounges is - while I would expect (true) service animals to be allowed for sure, I had not been exposed to many dogs in lounges before. A quick internet search found a bunch of Sheraton's specifically stating that they don't allow dogs in club lounges and most don't state anything.

I found the dog smell in the lounge bad enough to spoil the experience and given a choice, I would pick a hotel that does not allow dogs in the lounge over ones that do... And I am sure there is at least an equal number of people with the opposite preference.

So what do we know about dog policies in club lounges? Are there any guides/overviews I might have missed?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
If allowed in hotel I think it should be allowed in lounge but like customers ( people or their dogs ) how do you decide what is well behaved/smelling and good manners for person or animal.

I for one would take a well behaved bad smelling or good smelling/bad behaving dog over a human, LOL

I find that most lounge and other hotel employees are mostly trained to accept/allow all but the most egregious behavior or situation as the fear of a negative review trumps almost anything else, except another more negative review.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In most USA jurisdictions, dogs (except service dogs) are forbidden in places that serve food as a health code regulation. Outside of the USA (and this seems to be especially true in Germany, Austria, and France), it's common for dogs to be brought into even the very best restaurants.Genuine service animals of course are an exception and ESAs might be too.

Did you ask hotel staff whether dogs are allowed in the lounge, especially during the hours when breakfast and evening food is being served?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask hotel staff whether dogs are allowed in the lounge, especially during the hours when breakfast and evening food is being served?
I asked the front desk what the policy was and they said dogs are allowed - she seemed rather proud and expected me to be happy about that answer
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
My biggest pet hate (pardon the pun) is when someone with lounge access brings like ten friends or colleagues in, many of whom aren't even staying at the hotel. Nothing worse than a packed and rowdy lounge full of people who shouldn't even be in there.
LPCJr and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:17 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
In most USA jurisdictions, dogs (except service dogs) are forbidden in places that serve food as a health code regulation. Outside of the USA (and this seems to be especially true in Germany, Austria, and France), it's common for dogs to be brought into even the very best restaurants.Genuine service animals of course are an exception and ESAs might be too.

Amazed then at the animals allowed on planes in such close proximity to food and drink.....
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by chipmaster
If allowed in hotel I think it should be allowed in lounge but like customers ( people or their dogs ) how do you decide what is well behaved/smelling and good manners for person or animal.
Completely disagree. Dogs in the lounge is way out of bounds because it infringes on the experience of everyone else who did not sign up for a dog in their room or the lounge. Unlike the lobby, lounges are a privilege. I would have made a stink on the spot and would have done the same if a stinky human entered as well, which is often the case when people come in straight from their workout and sl8me up the seats, etc.
C17PSGR and kennycrudup like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Amazed then at the animals allowed on planes in such close proximity to food and drink.....
On planes, other than service (and unfortunately fake ESA) animals, dogs are supposed to stay in their carriers.

There's nothing like a dogfight in the middle of a Michelin three star restaurant. (Yes, I have experienced this, in the French countryside.)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Apparently ESAs are allowed. I witnessed a situation in Baltimore where the owner with a "claimed" ESA was attempting to be seated in a hotel restaurant for lunch. The owner could not present any papers showing the ESA credentials. As a compromise, the owner and dog were seated in the closed bar and served lunch.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Apparently ESAs are allowed. I witnessed a situation in Baltimore where the owner with a "claimed" ESA was attempting to be seated in a hotel restaurant for lunch. The owner could not present any papers showing the ESA credentials. As a compromise, the owner and dog were seated in the closed bar and served lunch.
It's good that the restaurant at least tried to insist on documentation, although of course there are the ESA documents that are sold on the internet.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Being a pet owner and living in a non dog-friendly city, I absolutely envy countries where dogs could join their hoomans everywhere, like bars and supermarkets.

I get that not everyone's a dog lover but if the lounge has room, I would treat it like witnessing a noisy kid and relocate myself.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by miloworld
Being a pet owner and living in a non dog-friendly city, I absolutely envy countries where dogs could join their hoomans everywhere, like bars and supermarkets.

I get that not everyone's a dog lover but if the lounge has room, I would treat it like witnessing a noisy kid and relocate myself.
Then you would love The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, Avon, Vail Valley. We were there last week and it appeared that 15%-20% of the guests were checking in with dogs. It was the most I'd ever seen at a hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
All I can say is ick. How disgusting.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by miloworld

I'm neither a dog lover nor a dog hater but it seems to me that someone who brings their dog to a lounge or the public spaces of a hotel has made a decision, conscious or otherwise, that their personal interests outweigh the needs of others. Many people have fear of dogs because of past experiences, others worry whether the can they set their food down, still others have allergies, and even the best behaved dogs are ... well dogs. It's like smoking .... I don't care if you smoke in your single family home but when you start smoking in public space, you've made the decision your personal interests are more important than other. I hope lounges and hotels will prohibit animals except as required by law. Plus, the dog will be much happier in a pet hotel or being taken care of by friends and family.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by controller1
Restaurants in the US are generally not required to accommodate ESAs. There might be some sort of local regulation in Baltimore but I kinda doubt it. The management was probably confused here.

FWIW, it's generally illegal in the US for a venue to demand documentation for a service animal and the owner is generally not required to carry it.

On another note, the language being used here ("fake ESAs" and "claimed ESAs") implies a serious misunderstanding. ESAs aren't certified, it's literally impossible for an animal to be a "fake ESA". People who need an ESA get evaluated by a professional, and then it's up to them to pick an animal. Professionals don't get involved in evaluating the animal. There's literally no credentials that a "real" ESA would ever have. There is no required training for ESAs (for that matter, service animals also don't have any legally required training).
clublounger likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.