Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs in Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by controller1
Then you would love The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, Avon, Vail Valley. We were there last week and it appeared that 15%-20% of the guests were checking in with dogs. It was the most I'd ever seen at a hotel.
Boy, do I wish I could bring my dogs during overseas travel (without all the preparation/paperwork)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm neither a dog lover nor a dog hater
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I hope lounges and hotels will prohibit animals except as required by law.
Seems to me you're more of a hater. I do understand people's anxiety towards dogs (I'm from HK, the older generation/China immigrants see dogs as food, more than family) and I try my very best to respect everyone's comfort when I bring my dogs out.

That owner obviously did not. But keep in mind when you're travelling, you don't always encounter the best people; rude people at airports, parents doing nothing about their crying baby etc. I've seen people take their shoes (and socks!) off in lounges, sometimes you just gotta find a better seat
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by miloworld
Seems to me you're more of a hater.
Poor, unfounded conclusion. Many dog lovers also feel that dogs have no place in a public lounge.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Amazed then at the animals allowed on planes in such close proximity to food and drink.....

Only ever seen dogs on planes in USA
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by anniegray
Only ever seen dogs on planes in USA
If I think of TATL flights this year, there were dogs on every (2) Swiss, every (3) Austrian and none of my BA (5) flights in J. I am not sure how many AA TATL flights I was on (>10) and can only recall 1 with a dog.

Obviously not a statistically relevant sample size, but at least on TATL flights continental European carriers have way more dogs in my experience. I would agree though that inter-European flights have less than US domestic.

Last edited by flying_geek; Jul 6, 2018 at 4:14 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
It might be a Salzburg/Leisure Ski place sort of thing. Everytime I'm there everyone is with their dogs everywhere, even Pizza places. I usually don't really care cause I got dogs of my own, but if they smell then it's a completely different scenario.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by flying_geek
So today I was in the really nice (one of the best I ever experienced) club lounge of the Grand Sheraton in Salzburg and it just started raining outside and in came this big wet dog - it wasn't poorly behaved but smelled - well, like wet dog.
This made we wonder what SPGs policy on dogs or pets in lounges is - while I would expect (true) service animals to be allowed for sure, I had not been exposed to many dogs in lounges before. A quick internet search found a bunch of Sheraton's specifically stating that they don't allow dogs in club lounges and most don't state anything.

I found the dog smell in the lounge bad enough to spoil the experience and given a choice, I would pick a hotel that does not allow dogs in the lounge over ones that do... And I am sure there is at least an equal number of people with the opposite preference.

So what do we know about dog policies in club lounges? Are there any guides/overviews I might have missed?
In Europe I've found a greater tolerance for four legged companions in eateries and hotels and just as in the US of A there are those who will push the limits. Several of the non chain hotels I use in GmbH not only allow dogs but make special accommodations for them .

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jul 6, 2018 at 7:57 am Reason: additional info
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I don't have a problem with dogs in CLs or anywhere else in the hotel. I have a problem with the people who do not treat having their dogs in a public place as a privilege and do not mind the animal and/or clean up after the animal. The same objection is my feeling towards children in the CL lounge, too. Worst I witnessed: two women walking their dog outside a full service Marriott who could not be bothered cleaning up the pile of steaming stuff their poodle left just outside the front door of the hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Sorry but this is a when in Rome type scenario.
Twas in a very high end resto in Nice where a lady was feeding her dog food at the table, would that fly here not a chance, but I'm not here.
My guess is those same European guests would be horrified at someone walking in with a strapped sidearm, something I have seen at more than one US property.
So my response is, don't like it...stay at home.

PS. Before you ask...no...I do not have a dog.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by HomerJ
]So my response is, don't like it...stay at home.
Well, that's... an opinion.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Twas in a very high end resto in Nice where a lady was feeding her dog food at the table, would that fly here not a chance, but I'm not here.
My guess is those same European guests would be horrified at someone walking in with a strapped sidearm, something I have seen at more than one US property.
So my response is, don't like it...stay at home.

PS. Before you ask...no...I do not have a dog.
Great observation, but I won't take it lying down. If I see something that bothers me I am apt to speak up. Certainly would do so with a pile of poo outside the entrance.
Just because the law says you can do it, doesn't make it right.. and vice versa!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If food is present in the lounge, dogs should not be.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Which US properties? I have never seen any open carry in any hotels I have ever been to in the US. I did see a no sidearm sign at Hyatt Regency Wichita recently.

There is big difference between lady feeding her dog food at a high end restaurant vs a bi wet smelly dog in the Club Lounge. I don't smell the dog in the restaurant.

Just because you can bring a dog with you anywhere does not mean you get to ignore impact to others.

Civility, nothing to do when in Rome.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dayone
If food is present in the lounge, dogs should not be.
I don't think the presence of food should be the deciding factor. It's a small shared public space. People should exercise common sense and courtesy.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think the presence of food should be the deciding factor. It's a small shared public space. People should exercise common sense and courtesy.
In the USA, the presence of food tends to make it a matter of hygiene regulations, so that the hotel would have no choice but to impose and enforce a "do dogs except service animals" rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.