Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Marriott Awards chart for SPG properties, published 28 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Official announcement from Starwood Lurker V :

Maximize your points as our programs become one this August.

As you may already know, SPG®, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® will become one program this August. You’ll be able to redeem for free nights and unforgettable experiences at over 6,500 participating hotels across 29 brands.

Our Free Night Award Chart will be updated and give you more power to redeem your points. Even better: More hotels are moving down in redemption rates than up – so chances are that you’ll be able to redeem fewer points for free nights at the hotels you love.

Here are our top eight tips to help you maximize your points:
Plan ahead. Explore the full list of hotel category changes and decide if you want to plan your trip before or after the updates take effect. Here are just a few examples of hotels that are moving to a lower category in August:
- REDEEM FREE NIGHTS FOR 10,000 FEWER POINTS
Hotel Talisa in Vail, Le Méridien Barcelona, W Punta de Mita, The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, The Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, and Le Méridien San Francisco

- REDEEM FREE NIGHTS FOR 5,000 FEWER POINTS
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, Renaissance Paris Republique Hotel, The St. Regis Princeville Resort, Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, Autograph Collection’s Hotel Punta Islita, and Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel in Napa Valley

See the complete new award chart here.

Take advantage of future Category 8 hotels. Future Category 8 hotels will be available at Category 7 rates from August until 2019. Redeem now to save up to 20% and guarantee your rate even if the stay occurs after new rates take effect. Explore future category 8 hotels.
Use Cash + Points. Stay for as little as $55 and 3,500 points at more hotels than ever. Your next vacation may be closer than you think. See the Cash + Points Chart.
Stay five nights, pay for four. Get a complimentary night when you redeem four consecutive nights.
Save more with PointSavers. Enjoy up to 20% off when you redeem points at top destinations. All 29 brands participate, all you have to do is enter the city, state or country along with your dates to find participating hotels. See the PointSavers Chart.
Upgrade your stay. Use points to upgrade your room (think suite or a room with a picture-perfect view) during your stay.
Enjoy Travel Packages. Travel Packages now include all SPG hotels. Until now, SPG Nights & Flights applied only to SPG Category 3 and 4 hotels. Starting in August, Marriott Rewards and SPG members can redeem points for airline miles and hotel stays at any of the 6,500 participating hotels. This offer continues to be one of the richest offers among travel loyalty programs.
Get instant gratification. Instantly redeem points for cocktails, meals, spa treatments or anything else you can charge to your room at participating hotels. Each US$1 is valued at 250 points, so if you would like a spa treatment worth US$50, you would redeem 12,500 points.

Explore all the changes happening in August and read FAQs now by visiting members.marriott.com. In the meantime, please feel free to share your feedback and we’ll do our best to answer your questions.
Print Wikipost

New Marriott Awards chart for SPG properties, published 28 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
FWIW-
As I am sure many others may have experienced, here is an example of how it previously worked when the redemption rates changed:

On January 15 you booked a SPG 7000 point room, (with the reservation for checking in on the night of June 1). Then in March the redemption rate for that hotel went up from 7000 points to 10,000 points. If you logged into your account on April 15, and checked the details of that reservation, it would then show that you had redeemed 10,000 points for the reservation (when in fact you had “paid” 7000 points).

However, if you had cancelled that same “10,000 point” reservation on May 15, only 7,000 points would be redeposited into your account, because that is what you “paid” originally.

I expect something very similar with this change. If I book a 7000 point SPG room today, and then cancel it on October 15, I will either get back 7000 SPG Points, or 21000 MR points, regardless what the new value is. So no, I doubt you will be able to (or should) game the system to get more points, if that is what you are implying.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kavok
FWIW-
As I am sure many others may have experienced, here is an example of how it previously worked when the redemption rates changed:

On January 15 you booked a SPG 7000 point room, (with the reservation for checking in on the night of June 1). Then in March the redemption rate for that hotel went up from 7000 points to 10,000 points. If you logged into your account on April 15, and checked the details of that reservation, it would then show that you had redeemed 10,000 points for the reservation (when in fact you had “paid” 7000 points).

However, if you had cancelled that same “10,000 point” reservation on May 15, only 7,000 points would be redeposited into your account, because that is what you “paid” originally.

I expect something very similar with this change. If I book a 7000 point SPG room today, and then cancel it on October 15, I will either get back 7000 SPG Points, or 21000 MR points, regardless what the new value is. So no, I doubt you will be able to (or should) game the system to get more points, if that is what you are implying.
I have never seen it change the number of points redeemed; that would disturb the record. The category assignment listed under the redemption may or may not change - same with the hotel name - but I've never seen the number of points redeemed on the accounting side of it changed - because it is a historic record of how many you actually redeemed.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I have never seen it change the number of points redeemed; that would disturb the record. The category assignment listed under the redemption may or may not change - same with the hotel name - but I've never seen the number of points redeemed on the accounting side of it changed - because it is a historic record of how many you actually redeemed.
It depends on where you look. Using the example I gave, if you click on "my stays" and look at the reservation details, it would show on the reservation that 10,000 points were redeemed (even though only 7.000 were actually used). Now if you go back and look at "account activity", it would show that on January 15, 7000 points were redeemed. Strangely enough, if you cancelled the reservation on May 15, it would show that 10,000 points are being credited to your account. However in the seconds following the cancellation, your account value would only increase by 7,000 points (i.e. 100,000 to 107,000).

It always just struck me as a weird bug in the programming, but as the outcome was as it should be, I never thought anything more of it. The reason I bring this weird bug up is that I could see something similar happening with the merge. Figured I would give fellow Flyertalkers a heads up.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
It depends on where you look. Using the example I gave, if you click on "my stays" and look at the reservation details, it would show on the reservation that 10,000 points were redeemed (even though only 7.000 were actually used). Now if you go back and look at "account activity", it would show that on January 15, 7000 points were redeemed. Strangely enough, if you cancelled the reservation on May 15, it would show that 10,000 points are being credited to your account. However in the seconds following the cancellation, your account value would only increase by 7,000 points (i.e. 100,000 to 107,000).

It always just struck me as a weird bug in the programming, but as the outcome was as it should be, I never thought anything more of it. The reason I bring this weird bug up is that I could see something similar happening with the merge. Figured I would give fellow Flyertalkers a heads up.
This was exactly how it happened when I booked the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport before it went from 7,000 points to 10,000 points a night. When I cancelled it after the increase, I got back only 7,000 points despite the reservation was showing 10,000 points due me.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
TPG completed an analysis of the new chart. Not surprisingly, pretty much the same results.

2018: The average hotel increasing in price is going up by 4,241 points per night, while the average hotel decreasing in price is dropping by 4,494 points. This results in an overall average drop of 977 points per night.
2019: The average hotel increasing in price is going up by 4,326 points per night, while the average hotel decreasing in price is dropping by 4,144 points. This results in an overall average drop of 755 points per night.

As you can see, the properties decreasing in price hold a slight edge for the remainder of 2018, though the introduction of Category 8 in 2019 will reverse this. However, in both 2018 and 2019, the overall average price per night is still dropping.
The same key points are identified in the article and follow-up. Low end and extreme high-end are what rose (SPG/MR 1/2 and MR9/RC5). Vacation Club/Vistana (timeshares) took a big hit.

Boarding Area chimed in:
On average, award pricing stays about the same when comparing current pricing to early 2019 pricing.
There were a few other "reviews", but they mostly just re-posted the chart, repeated the "roughly 70% down or unchanged" PR line (which is accurate), and a few highlighted the huge decrease in SPG specialy properties (I'm looking at you, Bora Bora). Great value, but outliers.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Really does seem like a silly way to categorize awards. As you say, it simply incents behavior away from one property that is priced inappropriately (like the aLoft BKK starting in Aug) and then - after people shift away, it drops next year and people shift back.
Supply and Demand is silly?

High prices, people go away, lower prices, people come back, market prices adjust to an equilibrium. Seems OK to me.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by CPRich

High prices, people go away, lower prices, people come back, market prices adjust to an equilibrium. Seems OK to me.
Isn't the ADR reflect the supply and demand?

Aloft Bangkok has much more rooms compare TO FP Bangkok. Aloft has more than 30+floors and FP only have 8 floors and 2 buildings.

This means forever redemption at FP will always lower compare to Aloft, which is silly when Aloft price is lower as they have much more rooms to sell.

Well actually I don't mind with this logic as I can get free room at FP and Bangkok Marriott cheaper
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CPRich

But it's not really supply and demand. Wouldn't the cash price then follow along with the award increase? It doesnt - but if it were truly supply and demand it would. Seems more logical to me to have awards equate to cash prices to keep effective award redemption be at a rate Marriott likes. that is closer to what Starwood did before them.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by EdofFX
This was exactly how it happened when I booked the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport before it went from 7,000 points to 10,000 points a night. When I cancelled it after the increase, I got back only 7,000 points despite the reservation was showing 10,000 points due me.
A heads up: When redeeming points in the legacy Marriott program, if the points needed for redemption increases a change in your reservation can change the number or points for redemption. If you are holding a reservation but have not had the points taken out of your account yet, if the hotel gives you an upgrade that can trigger the system to change the points redemption to the new higher amount. A simple call or email to Marriott and they will correct the points to the lower, previous amount and, of course, you keep the UG, but watch your reservations carefully if the redemption rate increases and reach to Marriott if you need to. This has happened to me more than once and others have posted about it, too.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
no surprises here

I am in the "no surprises" category.
Some of the SPG "deals" to be booked before August:
Sheraton Vistana Villages + 20,000
Westin Nashville + 14,000
Sheraton Duluth + 5,000
Westin Chattanooga + 5,000
Sheraton Anchorage + 4, 000
Four Points Milan + 4,000
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
For instance, a cat 4 SPG gets paid 65.00 USD for each award night.
You sure? I thought that the amount that a property is paid under the legacy SPG system is somewhat dependent on occupancy rate for the night(s) in question; and that if full or nearly so, the compensation to the hotel goes up.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You sure? I thought that the amount that a property is paid under the legacy SPG system is somewhat dependent on occupancy rate for the night(s) in question; and that if full or nearly so, the compensation to the hotel goes up.
I can’t say for sure that all cat. 4 properties around the world get paid exactly that (maybe it changes by brand or region). I know for a fact that’s what the cat 4 property I regularly stay at gets paid for each FNA. It’s sort of a voucher system where SPG pays a fixed amount for each night redeemed (including the 5th night) which is directly related to the category locksteps. The exception is for nights when property occupancy exceeds 95% in which case SPG will pay ADR (not sure if that night’s or a benchmarked value for that purpose) just for those nights. This is a trade-off for properties’ acceptance of the no-blackout-dates policy.

Which category each hotel falls into is determined by the previous year’s ADR for the base room category with some shenanigans (some hotels have more leverage with SPG than others). But within each category the rate paid per night is a fixed amount.

I believe (not sure though) that that amount is inclusive of all taxes and fees, except those that are charged directly from the guest at checkout.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
they already said starpoints are being converted. that means starwood accounts can be converted into marriott accounts, and people can end up with multiple accounts that they put together whenever. i dont see any reason they would have to automatically combine or kill accounts.

going to be odd having "points" from "starwood credit card" for a few months, my big question is re expiration extension
FWIW-

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Remember, when you are looking at the rate details online, it will change as they make changes to the "rate code" associated with the rez (and no, you don't get to see the rate code except maybe on the folio). They are using an old-school data-saving coding technique of indexing repetitive data. This is why it is important to save your emailed confirmations that will show the rate details at time of booking. The system has what was paid and that is what will be refunded should you cancel. The only caveat here is will it know the difference in MR/SPG points or MPG points. Again, keep any/all documentation until after the stay date and everything has posted.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:55 am

Can someone enlighten me?

Tier 5 resort hotel - 12,000 starpoints/night for stay in Dec.

Under the new Marriott programme tier 5, the resort hotel states current points required 36,000 and will go down to 35,000 under new points required.

Does this mean it is going up from 12,000 to 35,000 because of the 3X multiplier effect?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by westbay
Can someone enlighten me?

Tier 5 resort hotel - 12,000 starpoints/night for stay in Dec.

Under the new Marriott programme tier 5, the resort hotel states current points required 36,000 and will go down to 35,000 under new points required.

Does this mean it is going up from 12,000 to 35,000 because of the 3X multiplier effect?
Yes, if you apply the 1:3 ratio, it's going from 36,000 to 35,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.