Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Article: How Sheraton lost its way and Marriott's plans to bring it back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: How Sheraton lost its way and Marriott's plans to bring it back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Wow! Looks like they managed to double the size of the room!
A good wide-angle lense is just cutting short of Harry Potter's wand
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Interesting.

I’ve not stayed at so many Marriott hotels yet but in Asia I’ve been working on the assumption that JW = Sheraton Grand, Marriott = Sheraton, Courtyard = Four Points and Renaissance = Westin (and RC = StR if we have to keep going on).

Just talking about my perception of the brands.

I usually target Le Meridiens first if there is one because Sheratons of all types tend to be less characterful and more dated places. Depending on price Alofts can get my money and sometimes Westins. Actually, the Westin brand means even less to me than Sheraton except probably a bit newer hotel. But in my experience it really depends on the individual hotel rather than the brand. in Guangzhou the Sheraton is definitely a better hotel for Platinums than the Marriott which is not to put the Marriott down. Both have good lounges and service but the Marriott suite was bizarrely laid out and dated while last weekend we got a great suite at the Sheraton and their pool is large and outdoors.

If the Sheraton brand gets an update like these pics then I could find myself seeking them out more.

Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I have yet to actually see a marriott without desks. seemed like a trial baloon.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pvn
I have yet to actually see a marriott without desks. seemed like a trial baloon.
I don't remember which hotel but I posted about it at the time. There was nothing closely resembling a desk and chair and I needed to do a Webinar where I could set up my computer and use a mouse, not the pad on my laptop. a full keyboard and talk into a stand microphone. Finally I set up a desk area by using this:

Someone from AP was writing an article, reached out and wound up quoting me and using the experience in the article.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I notice the sink in the new brand standard: this looks to me like they’re following the trend for it having separate bathrooms - something which I think would be a major mistake, along with the removal of the desk.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I know there's a whole spectrum of superb-to-garbage properties under the Sheraton brand umbrella, but signaling general attributes is what master brands are for, and my default perception of the Sheraton brand is that it's still 1973 in there.

It still evokes the primitive, lower-caste faux-elegance of places my parents took me for Sunday brunch during the Nixon administration. Tired, sometimes garish, often junky. The few Sheraton stays I've had in this century (I was among the last guests at Crystal City before they closed it down to make it into a Westin) have done nothing to modify my view. I can find no reason to choose a Sheraton.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I didnt realize the desk was such a big deal to everyone. I have always considered it a waste of space. I definitely like the space setup in the new design above as it seems better suited for multi-purpose.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:36 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
The desk and TV are probably beside the location of the camera.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JackE
If Sheraton is getting rid of Shine, that may bring me back right there. Those toiletries are like unwanted time travel to the 1960s.
I believe Shine is already gone. I haven't seen Shine products in Sheratons for the past few months.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
The frustrating thing about the Onsen Suite at Le Meridien Singapore is the lack of a desk. Removing desks from rooms is just dumb.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Isochronous
The frustrating thing about the Onsen Suite at Le Meridien Singapore is the lack of a desk. Removing desks from rooms is just dumb.
Where is LM Singapore? I don't recall it at all.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where is LM Singapore? I don't recall it at all.
Sentosa. Emergency rebrand of the Movenpick IIRC.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Interesting.

I’ve not stayed at so many Marriott hotels yet but in Asia I’ve been working on the assumption that JW = Sheraton Grand, Marriott = Sheraton, Courtyard = Four Points and Renaissance = Westin (and RC = StR if we have to keep going on).

Just talking about my perception of the brands.

I usually target Le Meridiens first if there is one because Sheratons of all types tend to be less characterful and more dated places. Depending on price Alofts can get my money and sometimes Westins. Actually, the Westin brand means even less to me than Sheraton except probably a bit newer hotel. But in my experience it really depends on the individual hotel rather than the brand. in Guangzhou the Sheraton is definitely a better hotel for Platinums than the Marriott which is not to put the Marriott down. Both have good lounges and service but the Marriott suite was bizarrely laid out and dated while last weekend we got a great suite at the Sheraton and their pool is large and outdoors.

If the Sheraton brand gets an update like these pics then I could find myself seeking them out more.

I think the only place your comparison fails is Renaissance. They seem generally below full-service Marriotts/Sheratons. I've never stayed in a nice or distinctive one (with the possible exception of St. Pancras, London) and don't understand the purpose of the brand. Though on the Marriott web site it's listed "above" Marriott so maybe they see it differently. Westins, on the other hand, have a fairly strong and consistent upscale brand identity in my opinion.

I share the experience of many others that the average full-service Marriott is superior to the average full-service Sheraton in the U.S. I can't think of many cities off of the top of my head where that's not true.

The desk removal, if that holds, seems bizarre. Aren't the Marriott and Sheraton brands designed at their core for older road warrior business travelers? This is what I am and I find a desk mandatory, even on a leisure stay. I thought Millennials were supposed to stay at lower-price, self-service "hipper" brands like Moxy or Element?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by pvn
Several of the renovated Marriotts do not have desks. Its almost as if they think only millennials travel ...they should hang out in the Admirals Club, check out the group 1-4 boarding line, look at the crowd in the CL. I like working at the bar sometimes but other times need a desk to spread out things.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't really see what "millenials" have to do with any of this and I find such comments to smack of out-of-touch "old man yells at cloud" thinking.

e.g. "millenials are supposed to stay at moxy" is a bafflingly weird statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.