Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How do you get free internet at Starwood Properties?

Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond

I am staying at the Westin Rosemont. They are saying that I have to pay for internet because I am getting a convention rate. The reservation was booked through Starwood meetings. They supervisor said that does not count as SPG.com. What do you folks think? Does Starwood give free wifi or not?

Also, what about Marriott meetings? Is that part of Marriott.com or not?

Last edited by ChinaShrek; Jun 23, 2018 at 7:52 am Reason: adding Marriott question
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:10 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Yes, check your rate details and what is included.

Different rate levels come with different benefits. Everytime I stay at a Westin as part of my time share I pay a resort fee even though i am rather higher level as it is an SPG property.

When my wife checks in before me into my room, she has never gotten any of my level benefits like breakfast.

Sometimes we can get the benefits when we ask, ask with a smile if you have some premium level.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Yes, check your rate details and what is included.

Different rate levels come with different benefits. Everytime I stay at a Westin as part of my time share I pay a resort fee even though i am rather higher level as it is an SPG property.

When my wife checks in before me into my room, she has never gotten any of my level benefits like breakfast.

Sometimes we can get the benefits when we ask, ask with a smile if you have some premium level.
Well, I have no elite status with Starwood. I just stay at one or two properties each year for conventions or conferences. The internet rule is confusing for non-elites.

I did some more digging and found this on their website:

Complimentary in-room Internet access is only available for Stays booked by SPG Members at SPG Participating Hotels through Starwood Websites (currently starwoodhotels.com, spg.com, stregis.com, theluxurycollection.com, whotels.com, lemeridien.com, fourpoints.com, aloft.com, element.com, sheraton.com, and westin.com) and SPG Apps (both iPhone and Android versions).

This means that the Starwood Meetings website will not give you free internet and if you book directly with the hotel (in person or phone) then you will not receive complimentary internet either. I urge Starwood to reconsider this policy.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Well, I have no elite status with Starwood. I just stay at one or two properties each year for conventions or conferences. The internet rule is confusing for non-elites.

I did some more digging and found this on their website:

Complimentary in-room Internet access is only available for Stays booked by SPG Members at SPG Participating Hotels through Starwood Websites (currently starwoodhotels.com, spg.com, stregis.com, theluxurycollection.com, whotels.com, lemeridien.com, fourpoints.com, aloft.com, element.com, sheraton.com, and westin.com) and SPG Apps (both iPhone and Android versions).

This means that the Starwood Meetings website will not give you free internet and if you book directly with the hotel (in person or phone) then you will not receive complimentary internet either. I urge Starwood to reconsider this policy.
Yes, one would think any Starwood branded site would qualify and I would call SPG for clarification.

What you might check is if there is a second SSID available onsite that you already have access. I often find an at&t site along with the SPG signal so I can choose which one to use (since I have an at&t cellphone).
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, one would think any Starwood branded site would qualify and I would call SPG for clarification.

What you might check is if there is a second SSID available onsite that you already have access. I often find an at&t site along with the SPG signal so I can choose which one to use (since I have an at&t cellphone).
Thanks, I am able to use wifi in the lobby for free. It's just in the guest rooms that they charge. I guess I am just annoyed more than anything.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Free internet needs to have been negotiated into the convention contract. If the meeting planner didn't include it in the contract, it is not the hotel's resposibility to provide it free except to elite guests under SPG program guidelines. So you should be more upset with the convention planner for their oversight (unless it's a very small contract, like under 10 rooms), not the hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Hmmm, I've never encountered an AT&T site along with SPG. However, I tend to always find an AT&T site along with Hilton.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, one would think any Starwood branded site would qualify
Why would one think this when the T&Cs explicitly lists the specific sites that qualify?

booked by SPG Members at SPG Participating Hotels through Starwood Websites (currently starwoodhotels.com, spg.com, stregis.com, theluxurycollection.com, whotels.com, lemeridien.com, fourpoints.com, aloft.com, element.com, sheraton.com, and westin.com)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Who doesn't offer free wifi in this age of day?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
Who doesn't offer free wifi in this age of day?
They do offer free wifi…if you make your reservation through an official website. Hotel chains have decided to use free internet access as the carrot to lure people away from making reservations via online travel agencies (OTAs) like Expedia or Orbitz.

A hotel will pay a commission or give free internet. If a guest books through one of the sources listed above, the hotel won't pay out a commission. The thing that OTAs and Starwood Meetings have in common is that they typically involve paying commissions to the booking source.

As bosman notes, any "free" internet access associated with a meeting (either in guest rooms or meeting rooms) must be negotiated by the meeting planner. It would be unusual for a hotel to give out free in-room internet and still pay a commission at a hotel that doesn't already give in-room internet access to all guests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.