Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Reflections pt2: Lifetime Plat with 11+ years but 600 ~ 750 nights – what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reflections pt2: Lifetime Plat with 11+ years but 600 ~ 750 nights – what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
There is so much here to comment on that I don't know where to start. But here's what I will say, I will end up being short of LTPP in the MR program due to nights. As of now, I think I will end up with about 720 in December - and that will be stretching it. I have had one legitimate meeting in the 15+ years I have been part of the MR program. I feel like you are basing your knowledge of MR members over one thread in FT. I know many, many MR elite members who have never read FT in their lives and have no knowledge of these types of "angles."

In any case, I have decided that I will be just fine with LTP (I have already hit LTG in MR) as opposed to LTPP. I am not going to spend some crazy amount of money or time to achieve a level that may (or may not) affect me other than earning 25% more points. Yes, it is disappointing that I will miss out on this one-time higher level, but wow, not enough to go through some crazy process to make it happen.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:12 am

I will be close to 700 nights so will miss the LTPP although I have been LTP for more than 11 years. I am not prepared to chase the nights to get the higher status. Even getting the 10 nights with a Marriott branded card will not get me to that level. So, I will keep reading the posts and thinking what might have been!
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ac777
I will be close to 700 nights so will miss the LTPP although I have been LTP for more than 11 years. I am not prepared to chase the nights to get the higher status. Even getting the 10 nights with a Marriott branded card will not get me to that level. So, I will keep reading the posts and thinking what might have been!
You might have gotten 25% more bonus points and instead of getting almost no UGs you may get a few less than almost no UGs.

LT status is not really about those who have the status, it is about getting those who want the status to spend more money with Marriott. The idea that once Marriott closes LTPP to new members it will suddenly get more perks sends a message to those still qualifying that they will never get the best, which would cheapen the value of getting LT status and make is a less effective marketing tool, so it is doubtful that will happen. It is more likely there will remain little difference between LTP and LTPP so that those qualifying will be encouraged to spend more instead of feeling no matter how much they spend they will be missing out on something wonderful. LTPP are frozen out of getting SNAs or gift selections and I would expect similar exclusions should PP be given additional meaningful benefits. Most people only care about what benefits they receive and are not concerned with being able to brag about having top status in a marketing program.

If I were not eligible for LTPP by virtue of being a longtime MR LTP, I would like to think I would not spend money to chase a status in a marketing program. Those who are not getting swept up in the hype of having to be LTPP, I applaud you and think you are making the right decision, especially if you are or will be LTP in the new program soon and will have the biggest benefit, lounge access, anyway. If someone has money to burn and they want to spend it on holding no-show meetings, I won't judge, but I would not do it.

The irony is Marriott obviously created LTPP so as to not have to put legacy MR LTP into the same tier as legacy MR LTGs. Now that we have seen how things have unfolded, that seemed to be the wrong decision. Legacy MR LTP seem to have accepted changes maturely, professionally and without a peep, including not being eligible for SNAs. Collapsing the two legacy tiers into one would have probably caused fewer headaches than creating a special tier to deal with the issue.
Markie and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Legacy MR LTP seem to have accepted changes maturely, professionally and without a peep, including not being eligible for SNAs.
Are they supposed to be patted on the back for accepting something they never had in the first place, nor was a feature of any SPG LT status?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think this is possible. SPG started granting LTP status less than eleven years ago, at the same time as SNAs were first introduced, which I would guess was about six to eight years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stant
Thanks, but thats of no help to me. I have been in the program over a decade, but while i do 100+ nights a year these days, for a while i was just a lowly gold. If I wanted to I could finish out the year with the nights required, I dont have the 10 years platinum no matter how you cut it.

so when i finally do cross that threshold I'll have more butts in bed than some fraction of lifetime PP, but with zero chance of earning the status. I think that entitles me to a far bigger gripe than the OP's going on about.
Very dramatic. Won’t you get PP just by staying 75 nights/yr?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think this is possible. SPG started granting LTP status less than eleven years ago, at the same time as SNAs were first introduced, which I would guess was about six to eight years ago.
I’m guessing the poster means they have been Platinum for 11 years
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I stand corrected. I meant Platinum for over 11 years. LTP for a few years but do not recall how many.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I am totally cool with your choice. To make it or not make the 750 nights is a personal one.

My purpose of outlining my experience is to show my personal discovery of how to make it to 750 nights (if needed), write down my journey on discovery and to help fellow SPG lifetime Plat members like yourself if you want to make it but somehow constrains because the hotel doesn't have the know-how.

If you do decide to do it, you can send me a PM.
​​​​​
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Very dramatic. Won’t you get PP just by staying 75 nights/yr?
NOW? of course I will. thats not the point. The point is the arbitrary access of a perk to some but not to all, then closing the window for that perk. lifetime status is a valuable perk. Ask lifetimes if they would be upset if the status was stripped from them? I'm sure 90+% would say yes.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NOW? of course I will. thats not the point. The point is the arbitrary access of a perk to some but not to all, then closing the window for that perk. lifetime status is a valuable perk. Ask lifetimes if they would be upset if the status was stripped from them? I'm sure 90+% would say yes.
Count me in the 10% that wouldn't get my panties in a knot over LTPP vs LTP. The only benefit that I see missing out on is the 25% bonus, and if I'm not staying 75 nights/yr, it won't amount to that much.

There is NOTHING that says that PPs will get more upgrades than Plats. I have enjoyed a tremendous number of incredible suite upgrades as an 11 year SPG Platinum, but I expect that number to drop to the Marriott level of slight to non-existent. I've already made my peace with the fact that I have enjoyed all those amazing years with Starwood and it is now coming to an end.
yeunganson likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Nobody is getting rid of lifetime status. The highest lifetime status attainable in the new program will be LTP. LTPP will be a closed status that earns a few additional points and may get almost no UGs instead of one or two less than almost no UGs.

The primary reason for LT status is to encourage those who stay frequently now to stay more and earn lifetime perks. If you were Marriott and you had a closed level and the highest attainable level was right below that, you would do everything possible to show those who are presently working towards LT status that getting LTP, the top tier available, is worth it. You wouldn't shower perks on the closed level, showing those presently earning that they will never achieve the best. Therefore, the notion that Marriott is going to shower LTPP with all sorts of additional perks just does not make sense. Already LTPP does not get SNAs and I would expect similar restrictions on any PP goodies that may be added in the future.

Creating LTPP allowed Marriott to avoid merging their present LTP into the same level as LTG but it would make no sense for Marriott to make LTPP into anything meaningful.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Count me in the 10% that wouldn't get my panties in a knot over LTPP vs LTP. The only benefit that I see missing out on is the 25% bonus, and if I'm not staying 75 nights/yr, it won't amount to that much.

There is NOTHING that says that PPs will get more upgrades than Plats. I have enjoyed a tremendous number of incredible suite upgrades as an 11 year SPG Platinum, but I expect that number to drop to the Marriott level of slight to non-existent. I've already made my peace with the fact that I have enjoyed all those amazing years with Starwood and it is now coming to an end.
To date I have transferred enough starpoints to american airlines to get me just shy of 7 business class tickets to europe. With the flights I normally take, thats normally a MINIMUM of about $3200 per ticket, $5-6k if I dont plan ahead. Even at the lower end we are talking about over $20k worth of real world value. 25% of that is a big deal. If you arent staying >75 nights a year then sure, it takes longer to build up starpoints, but is real money out of your pocket any less of something to gripe about if it happens a bit more slowly?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Nobody is getting rid of lifetime status. The highest lifetime status attainable in the new program will be LTP. LTPP will be a closed status that earns a few additional points and may get almost no UGs instead of one or two less than almost no UGs.

The primary reason for LT status is to encourage those who stay frequently now to stay more and earn lifetime perks. If you were Marriott and you had a closed level and the highest attainable level was right below that, you would do everything possible to show those who are presently working towards LT status that getting LTP, the top tier available, is worth it. You wouldn't shower perks on the closed level, showing those presently earning that they will never achieve the best. Therefore, the notion that Marriott is going to shower LTPP with all sorts of additional perks just does not make sense. Already LTPP does not get SNAs and I would expect similar restrictions on any PP goodies that may be added in the future.

Creating LTPP allowed Marriott to avoid merging their present LTP into the same level as LTG but it would make no sense for Marriott to make LTPP into anything meaningful.
1. marriot has already decided to give LTPP a major perk that LTP doesnt get - a 25% point bonus - see my comment to margarita girl.
2. there is no logic behind closing enrollment to LTPP. let's pretend it's 20 years from now and I'm still qualifying for an ambassador. I'd have 3000 some nights and millions upon millions of new marriot program lifetime points. Yet I still wouldnt qualify for LTPP - what logic is that? How does that incentivize me to stay with the program? If marriot was trying to do what you claim they are trying to do they would say that you get LTPP at 1500 nights and 5 million points or something like that - but they arent. Now, after I qualify for LTP under the new rules there is none of the incentive you are talking about for me to continue with the program. I might as well call it a day and move on to hilton.

As a loyal member who goes out of his way to stay at particular properties it really rubs me the wrong way to know that there is a level of perks that other got, that i just didnt have the luck to get, even if I give the chain more business than others.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To date I have transferred enough starpoints to american airlines to get me just shy of 7 business class tickets to europe. With the flights I normally take, thats normally a MINIMUM of about $3200 per ticket, $5-6k if I dont plan ahead. Even at the lower end we are talking about over $20k worth of real world value. 25% of that is a big deal. If you arent staying >75 nights a year then sure, it takes longer to build up starpoints, but is real money out of your pocket any less of something to gripe about if it happens a bit more slowly?
You do realize it's not 25% more points, right?

I believe Plats will earn 100% + 50% bonus whereas PP will earn 100% + 75% bonus, so the net difference in earnings between the 2 tiers is 14%.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.