Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Reflections pt1: Looking at Marriott Rewards – SPG Lifetime Plat perspective

Reflections pt1: Looking at Marriott Rewards – SPG Lifetime Plat perspective

Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by X-ON
Well if ""total Elite years achieved at that level or a higher level"" is how MAR intends to count elite year for legacy MR accounts I have no problem with that. My wish would be that the same principle would be applied for legacy SPG accounts as well, but that is probably hoping for too much and me being "entitled".... different strokes for different folks
It is how they are counting both MR and SPG nights according to their marketing materials, not by the made up criteria you keep repeating. From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/:
A Lifetime status level is determined by the total Elite years achieved at that level or a higher level. For example, Rewards Gold Elite and SPG Gold years are combined and applied toward the total number of Elite years needed for the new Lifetime Gold Elite status — but Rewards Silver Elite years are not because Silver Elite is a lower level than Gold Elite. If you achieved Elite status in both Rewards and SPG in the same year, you’ll receive credit for two Elite years.
Implying a a different criteria will be considered is irresponsible. It is the same criteria for members of both programs, not some rejiggered refigured number calculated under rules that never applied to the program when the status was earned.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is how they are counting both MR and SPG nights according to their marketing materials, not by the made up criteria you keep repeating. From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/:

Implying a a different criteria will be considered is irresponsible. It is the same criteria for members of both programs, not some rejiggered refigured number calculated under rules that never applied to the program when the status was earned.
??? What why are talking about nights all of a sudden ??? I have been talking about the DEFINITION of a Elite Year and in SPG a VALID elite year DID NOT include gifted status???

From SPG T&C https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...nguage=en_US#8

An "Eligible Status Year" is a calendar year during which an SPG Member obtained Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status (Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest) by: (A) achieving the Gold Minimum Requirement or the Platinum Minimum Requirement during such calendar year's Qualifying Period; or (B) being a Vistana Owner as described in Section 11.1. Only a calendar year in which an SPG Member obtains Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status as described in the prior sentence will count as an Eligible Status Year, regardless of the length of time that such SPG Member will retain the benefits of Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status.

Where Earning Platinum Preferred Guest Status. In order to become a "Platinum Preferred Guest", an SPG Member must have at least 25 Eligible Stays or 50 Eligible Nights in a Qualifying Period at SPG Participating Hotels or SPG Partner Hotels (the "Platinum Minimum Requirement").

So how is it irresponsible for me to cite SPG T&C, the only program of MR and SPG which had a definition of Eligible Status Year in the context of the LT programme? It is pretty clear that gifted status NOT count towards LT status in SPG... but I am entitled of course ... MR years should count double years ...or maybe triple ...

Last edited by X-ON; Jun 23, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
So how is it irresponsible for me to cite SPG T&C, the only program of MR and SPG which had a definition of Eligible Status Year in the context of the LT programme? It is pretty clear that gifted status NOT count towards LT status in SPG... but I am entitled of course ... MR years should count double years ...or maybe triple ...
Because Eligible Status Year has nothing to do with qualifying for elite status in the new program, nor do legacy SPG program terms have anything to do with the legacy MR program or the terms of the new program. How one qualifies is spelled out in simple, straight forward language which has been posted several times already and has nothing to do with Eligible Status Years. Nothing. The number of times Santa went down a member's chimney is mentioned in the members.Marriott site as many times as Eligible Status Years is mentioned, which would be zero for both. While it might have been something in the SPG terms that are about to be retired, it is not included in any materials about the new program.

Again, the important thing for everyone to know is that nobody at Marriott has ever said or done anything which would indicate the poster has a valid point. Nobody should read what he advocates as having any credence and be concerned. Marriott is not going to change the published rules of what counts towards LT status nor require MR members to have followed SPG rules in the past. I'm done responding to the lunacy since but no matter what is posted about the lunacy hopefully everyone realizes it is absolute fiction. Legacy SPG rules are not going to retroactively be applied to past years' MR eligibility.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like the OP is overly concerned about how other people achieve status.
This.

My experience with SPG has been the opposite of the OP's: it's long been a chain that has rewarded me greatly ....
And this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

So, to summarize, you want a program that has few ways to earn points/status that don't benefit you, encourages your own pattern of behavior, limits access to people with other patterns of behavior, and concentrates more on providing benefits to you by having fewer elite members who reached your status tier via an alternative path.

I want that program too. Marriott should recognize me as Titanium Deluxe and all of you schmucks as the rusty old fender of a 1983 Plymouth Turismo.
+1
This post basically summarizes the OP.

If you care so much about how other people are earning their status, why don't you go and start your own Hotel Frequent Stay club that fits exactly how you want the program to be run.
This Pt. 1 and Pt 2 post about the 2 programs is one of the most self-centered and a 'Do you know who I am' thread. Quite honesty if getting these benefits is so important in your life, maybe you should just pay for them.

BTW - your 10 years and 600+ nights at SPG is not all that impressive. There are many many folks with more nights and years and not are whining as much as this post. And to question whether a MR Plat, really did have those nights as butt on the mattress? How dare you question someone else? How do you know, most of the MR LT Plat did not stay 75 nights in a year in a actual hotel?

BTW 2 - I have over 1300 nights in MR, 1200 nights in Hilton, and 600 nights with SPG over a 18 year span. And I can assure you 90+% of the MR are actual hotel stays. and I am sure, there are many many more people with more nights stay at a hotel than me.
margarita girl and CJKatl like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can do better: I have NEVER gotten even one night credit for having a certain credit card, spending on a credit card, doing a "meeting" or event, or claiming credit for a second or third room. All of my nights have been either BIB or on the MR side, rollover according to the program T&C that I was apparently unable to reject. Nevertheless, as both a SPG LTP and MR LTP, I have more than twenty years Plat combined (at least ten Plat years on each side, where MR Plat = 75 nights and SPG Plat = either 25 stays or 50 nights) and even if I exclude rollover, I have a number of MR legacy nights that goes well into four figures.

I'm offended that some SPG people consider me scum of the earth when I sleep in a MR bed (some of us can't always choose our hotels) even though I'm one of them too as an upstanding and honorable SPG LTP. In fact, I lost all sympathy for any SPG whiner when the two threads appeared saying that no MR LTPs should get LTPP and I am fundamentally opposed to any special provisions to enable them to earn LTPP, including the rules that have already been announced for SPG LTPs with 750+ nights. After all, the SPG program never gave lifetime status above PlatMinus, certainly not at the Plat75 level.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can do better: I have NEVER gotten even one night credit for having a certain credit card, spending on a credit card, doing a "meeting" or event, or claiming credit for a second or third room. All of my nights have been either BIB or on the MR side, rollover according to the program T&C that I was apparently unable to reject.
Similar here. I am at about double what is needed for MR LTP and I do not think rollover had kicked in nor did I have the cc yet nor I had I given my birthday to Marriott yet to get that night. I have gotten credit for a second room maybe 20 times total because I am with a salesperson who is not a MR member so we put my rewards number on the second room. While I often hold meetings our departmental assistant takes the points. She and her husband were able to take a trip to England where she used to live. (Yay!) Ironically, the only meeting I'm sure I got credit for was at the Omaha Sheraton (horrible property) before the merger was even announced. One year I was one night short of requalifying for Plat and Marriott requalified me anyway, And points stays didn't count as credited nights until years after I made LTP.

A very stark difference, at least on FT, is no legacy MR members have been whining. The only time I have seen MR members comment on SPG member eligibility was when many of us complained that SPG members with at least 750 night should get LTPP. Even when some SPG members simultaneously berated MR members as cheaters because small number used the meeting nights while asking how to conduct the meetings MR members have stepped forward and helped hundreds of people, without any attitude. No MR members have explained why SPG members should be excluded from any eligibility. It is a stark difference.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:06 pm Reason: It was actually the Omaha Sheraton, not Marriott, which was the awful property. The Marriott there is actually nice.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wow...where to begin

I'm offended that some SPG people consider me scum of the earth when I sleep in a MR bed (some of us can't always choose our hotels) even though I'm one of them too as an upstanding and honorable SPG LTP.
Any quotes reflecting this? Otherwise you are just creating fake news. There is no shortage of SPGers (myself included) who have stayed at Marriott properties. No one is openly or subtlety attacking other posters for what legacy company's properties they may stay it. GMAB.

In fact, I lost all sympathy for any SPG whiner when the two threads appeared saying that no MR LTPs should get LTPP and I am fundamentally opposed to any special provisions to enable them to earn LTPP, including the rules that have already been announced for SPG LTPs with 750+ nights.
As the OP of that thread, I stand by it now more than ever. Marriott has done many things well, but assigning a caste system for SPG vs. MR when it came to lifetime Plat status was one of their finer moments (especially since the new LTP is as good if not better net-net than prior MR LT Plat).

Had they had the "750 night" rule from the start, I would have had never had the need to start the post, and thankfully the company came to its senses.

After all, the SPG program never gave lifetime status above PlatMinus, certainly not at the Plat75 level.
Once again - there is no PlatMinus. There is only Plat. After all, if there was such a caste system among SPG Plat levels, as a semi-lowly Plat50 I doubt you would have gotten the nice European property upgrade you posted about the other day.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A very stark difference, at least on FT, is no legacy MR members have been whining. The only time I have seen MR members comment on SPG member eligibility was when many of us complained that SPG members with at least 750 night should get LTPP. Even when some SPG members simultaneously berated MR members as cheaters because small number used the meeting nights while asking how to conduct the meetings MR members have stepped forward and helped hundreds of people, without any attitude. No MR members have explained why SPG members should be excluded from any eligibility. It is a stark difference.
Let's be real - if the roles were reversed, I'm sure there would have been plenty of MR "whining" as you and others call it. In fact, some have "whined" that SPGers can do 100 SPG nights this year and get an Ambassador for next year, w/o the $20K spend (even though all-in that's probably what they are spending anyways).
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
In fact, some have "whined" that SPGers can do 100 SPG nights this year and get an Ambassador for next year, w/o the $20K spend (even though all-in that's probably what they are spending anyways).
I have not seen it but will take your word as I have not been following the Ambassador threads. Surely though we would not have anything like these Reflections threads if the roles were reversed.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely though we would not have anything like these Reflections threads if the roles were reversed.
If Marriott was the niche program with a crazy following, and Starwood was the corporate behemoth with a very different mindset, I have no doubt similar threads would exist.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

Why in the world would a legacy MR member whine? Everything about the program has improved since the merger was announced. They would be grasping at straws to complain at this point.
UA-NYC likes this.

Last edited by spgplat21; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Why in the world would a legacy MR member whine?
We haven't seen the details of the future Travel Packages yet.

If that isn't to our collective liking, we will no doubt have a 1,000-post whinge thread about it.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Why in the world would a legacy MR member whine? Everything about the program has improved since the merger was announced. They would be grasping at straws to complain at this point.
Maybe because the achievements to earn lifetime status have suddenly changed?

I'm sure there are member who have been diligently working towards the lifetime points goal for lifetime platinum, but who are still far enough away that they can't get there by the end of this year? Meanwhile, there's a new requirement for years or status that was never measured before.

If I'm correct about my own lifetime status years, 2018 will be #9 for me, and LTPP will be forever out of reach. In hindsight, I could have stayed enough nights in 2017 for #9 , so that this year would have been #10 . I predicted my likely 2018 stay pattern, and with most nights at limited service properties where status means little, I had no incentive at the time to requalify. Had I known years of status would matter in the future, I would have.

There's your whine.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

I'm offended that some SPG people consider me scum of the earth when I sleep in a MR bed (some of us can't always choose our hotels) even though I'm one of them too as an upstanding and honorable SPG LTP.
Where is anyone saying something like that? Surely an economist wouldn't get offended without having hard data to back it up with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.