Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is refrigerator can be expected as standard item?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is refrigerator can be expected as standard item?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
After 1,000+ (1,725 nights) SPG stays around the world, I can confirm that many properties do not have a fridge, and not all properties have a minibar.
So as per others, to have 500+ nights under your belt and not have encountered a property without a mini-fridge/cooler box is pretty remarkable, IMHO. Unless the sample size of the properties is not diverse...

And yes, when I have requested that a mini-fridge be placed into my room, I am asked to pay a per day rate, which I oblige.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum and United Silver
75% Hit Rate for Refrigerators

I only have 500 nights between SPG and Marriott. But, I’ve stayed in a variety of hotels around the world. I would say that having a refrigerator or mini bar in the room has been roughly 75% - I always look for it since I like cold bottled water. At the last 2 hotels I’ve stayed in, Sheraton Grand in Sacramento and Park Central (except in the Presidential suite), San Francisco (both SPG), the rooms did not come standard with mini bar or refrigerator. I had to request one to be sent up. I am Platinum and have never been charged.if you need one, request one early, since for hotels where the refrigerator isn’t standard, they are limited.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

I’m with OP. With little over 800 nights I’ve never been in a hotel that did not have a minibar. Only a few hostels and low-level guesthouses (back in the days).
Old May 28, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
advice

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IME it can be dependent on the property. There are certain brands where in-room refrigerators are a brand standard. However, for those where refrigerators are not a brand standard it can vary a lot, and you should not expect (or complain about) it.
PHLGovFlyer is 100 % correct. It really varies property to property. The OP did not say which property??
I often put "Fridge" in my PLAT upgrade requests. Rarely is granted. All you need/want is a mini-bar fridge. That is pretty standard, IMO. Here is what I suggest. At the bottom of the propetry's WEB site, is a Contact Us icon. Click on it gives you direct access. Send them an e-mail and give them a good reason i.e. diabetic drugs. My guess is your chances will be 100 %.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
PHLGovFlyer is 100 % correct. It really varies property to property. The OP did not say which property??
I often put "Fridge" in my PLAT upgrade requests. Rarely is granted. All you need/want is a mini-bar fridge. That is pretty standard, IMO. Here is what I suggest. At the bottom of the propetry's WEB site, is a Contact Us icon. Click on it gives you direct access. Send them an e-mail and give them a good reason i.e. diabetic drugs. My guess is your chances will be 100 %.
Are you suggesting that someone lie about a medical condition?
Old May 28, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It may be 100%. It should also come with a surcharge for the use of the refrigerator. Why should others subsidise your use of a refrigerator. And lying about a medical condition is, as MSPeconomist says, just
karenkay and Often1 like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Seems to be more common in the mid to low end properties. Every Aloft I've stayed in has had a mini fridge. Sheratons are 30% likely in my experience . Luxury Collection properties 0% if you don't count the mini bar.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by LondonElite

It may be 100%. It should also come with a surcharge for the use of the refrigerator. Why should others subsidise your use of a refrigerator. And lying about a medical condition is, as MSPeconomist says, just
If a hotel has chosen to put a mini-fridge in each room why should there be a surcharge for its use? My head is shaven so I never use the hairdryer but couldn't see asking for a surcharge for its use. I do use the iron on almost every visit but wouldn't want to pay a surcharge for it.

Recently I have stayed at a couple properties where the minibar uses a vending machine like contraption that looks like the old automat, where you get charged when you remove an item, a new item rolls in and you cannot put anything else in the fridge.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:48 pm

Keep in mind that even if hotels provide them, the refrigerators aren't usually high quality brands. The range of "normal" temperatures can vary from barely cold to below freezing. I'm personally wary of using them for anything that spoils. If I were using one for medication, I'd bring my own thermometer to ensure proper cooling.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

thanks again for everyone perspective. they opened my eyes to be less "entitled". going forward I will ask before hand, than make assumption.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
I’m with OP. With little over 800 nights I’ve never been in a hotel that did not have a minibar. Only a few hostels and low-level guesthouses (back in the days).
thanks, you make me feel not alone
^
Old May 30, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Im from Australia and the first time staying in the US was completely surprised by the lack of kettle and refrigerators in many rooms I stayed in. Even the worst of the worst in Australia came with this as standard equipment and that was 30 years ago. Seems not much has changed! Totally bemused by the ice machine concept!
remymartin likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't know that any property particularly cares whether you have drugs requiring refrigeration or have a fridge fetish. The ones which charge for the service, will charge. If you blindly send off an email asking for an "extra" don't be surprised when it comes with a significant charge.

In any event, I would not presume that there is a fridge in your room unless you have checked and I would not presume that a mini-bar is useable as a fridge to store your stuff.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know that any property particularly cares whether you have drugs requiring refrigeration or have a fridge fetish. The ones which charge for the service, will charge. If you blindly send off an email asking for an "extra" don't be surprised when it comes with a significant charge.

In any event, I would not presume that there is a fridge in your room unless you have checked and I would not presume that a mini-bar is useable as a fridge to store your stuff.
I would hope that hotels would give preference on their limited refrigerators for people who need them to store medications. If there aren't enough for all requests, someone wanting to buy soft drinks at a local convenience store and chill them should get lower priority since most properties do have (free) ice makers down the hall.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope that hotels would give preference on their limited refrigerators for people who need them to store medications. If there aren't enough for all requests, someone wanting to buy soft drinks at a local convenience store and chill them should get lower priority since most properties do have (free) ice makers down the hall.
Problem with trying to prioritize who gets the mini-fridge: people will "pull a Trump" (aka., lie) to get what they want. Happens all the time. "Service animal", book accessible room, book for 2 when there will be 4, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.