Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is refrigerator can be expected as standard item?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is refrigerator can be expected as standard item?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope that hotels would give preference on their limited refrigerators for people who need them to store medications. If there aren't enough for all requests, someone wanting to buy soft drinks at a local convenience store and chill them should get lower priority since most properties do have (free) ice makers down the hall.
I’m not sure exactly how often I have a fridge in my hotel room, but it has to be less than 50%. And when I do have one, I don’t necessarily need it. Or vice versa. The only time I HAD to have a refrigerator in the room was a few years ago when I was going to NYC with a sick family member. So I called ahead - to the Sheraton Times Square - to ask if there was a fridge or if I could have one placed in the room. As it turned out, the rooms didn’t have fridges. The agent on the phone asked why I needed the fridge and I explained. They said they’d put a fridge in my room and there would be no charge - without my asking for the latter. I was impressed that this hotel would waive the fee for the fridge if a guest needed it for medical reasons. And I would hope that those who do NOT have special medical needs would NOT try to get special treatment based on providing false information.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've sometimes found a small portable refrigerator in my room that I suspect was used by a previous guest and not removed by the hotel. No problem, assuming that the hotel doesn't try to charge me for it, whether or not I actually use it. OTOH, this could be why hotels don't always have enough refrigerators available for the requests they receive.

I don't remember where, or even whether the property was a Starwood, but I recall seeing a sign in the room that for a fee, someone would empty the minibar so that it could be used to store the guest's own items. I didn't do it and I have no clue what the fee was, but it reminded me of the hotels that will restock one's minibar for a service fee. (I've never used that service either, but it sounds W-like since that brand seems to want to promote a party image and generally has minibars in rooms.)
Old May 31, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've sometimes found a small portable refrigerator in my room that I suspect was used by a previous guest and not removed by the hotel. No problem, assuming that the hotel doesn't try to charge me for it, whether or not I actually use it. OTOH, this could be why hotels don't always have enough refrigerators available for the requests they receive.

I don't remember where, or even whether the property was a Starwood, but I recall seeing a sign in the room that for a fee, someone would empty the minibar so that it could be used to store the guest's own items. I didn't do it and I have no clue what the fee was, but it reminded me of the hotels that will restock one's minibar for a service fee. (I've never used that service either, but it sounds W-like since that brand seems to want to promote a party image and generally has minibars in rooms.)
I'm not doubting it in the least bit, but the idea of them charging to restock the mini bar, and I'm sure in addition to charging for the missing contents, seems a bit much. I usually just send them away when they come to my room to restock the mini bar. But was caught off guard when I was charged for items the previous guest consumed and they hadn't refreshed the fridge before I got there.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's a minibar, I've started to take inventory if possible when I check in unless I see signs saying that items are charged automatically when they're moved.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If there's a minibar, I've started to take inventory if possible when I check in unless I see signs saying that items are charged automatically when they're moved.
I stayed in a hotel with minibar this weekend with my mom. I guess my mom didn't see the signs that said items are charged automatically when moved because she picked up every item to come show me what was available. "I'm not going to drink it. I'm just showing you what's available!" Thankfully the front desk understood and took that off my bill.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by wrp96
I stayed in a hotel with minibar this weekend with my mom. I guess my mom didn't see the signs that said items are charged automatically when moved because she picked up every item to come show me what was available. "I'm not going to drink it. I'm just showing you what's available!" Thankfully the front desk understood and took that off my bill.

I'm sure all of us have a similar story of someone we know doing this.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm not doubting it in the least bit, but the idea of them charging to restock the mini bar, and I'm sure in addition to charging for the missing contents, seems a bit much. I usually just send them away when they come to my room to restock the mini bar. But was caught off guard when I was charged for items the previous guest consumed and they hadn't refreshed the fridge before I got there.
I’m happy NOT to have a minibar for just this reason. I have been charged on rare occasions, in hotel rooms or on cruises, for things consumed by a previous guest. I have tried to take inventory myself upon arrival, but the list provided doesn’t always match what’s stocked in the minibar. It may be outdated OR some items might be temporarily unavailable and therefore missing. So you don’t know for sure if it’s FULLY stocked unless they check it. That’s why I actually welcome a staff person who comes to my door to check. Not because I’m going to use the minibar - I NEVER do - but because I’m confident it’s been officially checked. It especially irks me when I am charged POST checkout for an item I did not use. It takes time to call the hotel & get someone to remove and credit me for a $5 or $10 erroneous charge, and then I have to check my credit card bill. I bet many people do NOT notice or follow up on this type of error. But I do!
RogerD408 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Travelosopher

I’m happy NOT to have a minibar for just this reason. I have been charged on rare occasions, in hotel rooms or on cruises, for things consumed by a previous guest. I have tried to take inventory myself upon arrival, but the list provided doesn’t always match what’s stocked in the minibar. It may be outdated OR some items might be temporarily unavailable and therefore missing. So you don’t know for sure if it’s FULLY stocked unless they check it. That’s why I actually welcome a staff person who comes to my door to check. Not because I’m going to use the minibar - I NEVER do - but because I’m confident it’s been officially checked. It especially irks me when I am charged POST checkout for an item I did not use. It takes time to call the hotel & get someone to remove and credit me for a $5 or $10 erroneous charge, and then I have to check my credit card bill. I bet many people do NOT notice or follow up on this type of error. But I do!

Basically, my experiences mirror yours, except on occasion I do consume minibar items. Sometimes I consume an item and it never appears on my folio, with respect to the automated minibars.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Im from Australia and the first time staying in the US was completely surprised by the lack of kettle and refrigerators in many rooms I stayed in. Even the worst of the worst in Australia came with this as standard equipment and that was 30 years ago. Seems not much has changed! Totally bemused by the ice machine concept!
You're not going to see actual kettles as Americans who drink tea are generally okay with using the hot water from the coffee machine. Not trying to derail the thread on whether that's 'acceptable' but trying to explain a cultural difference.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Basically, my experiences mirror yours, except on occasion I do consume minibar items. Sometimes I consume an item and it never appears on my folio, with respect to the automated minibars.
I agree and in fact I think any hotel that posts such charges after check out should be required to send an updated copy of the bill to the guest. It really isn't fair to charge it to the credit card on file without any notification, hoping that your customer won't notice.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
My general (limited) experience with Westin properties is that you cannot expect a fridge as a standard item at all properties, but at least in my experience if you asked for one someone from maintenance would generally bring one up and plug it in for the duration of your stay. Not the most aesthetically pleasing thing versus having it under the TV or coffeepot, but I definitely preferred having a fridge to not having one.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Keep in mind that even if hotels provide them, the refrigerators aren't usually high quality brands. The range of "normal" temperatures can vary from barely cold to below freezing. I'm personally wary of using them for anything that spoils. If I were using one for medication, I'd bring my own thermometer to ensure proper cooling.
MR Courtyard is the worst for this, their minifridges average around 52-55F. If you put stuff in the back and keep pushing the button with the snowflake on it for extended cooling you can get fairly cold but the temperatures are not terribly consistent and there's no way to adjust the temp setting up or down other than a couple buttons to stop chilling or stop freezing for the next couple hours (and no way to renew it unless you are physically present to push the button again).
Old May 31, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Im from Australia and the first time staying in the US was completely surprised by the lack of kettle and refrigerators in many rooms I stayed in. Even the worst of the worst in Australia came with this as standard equipment and that was 30 years ago. Seems not much has changed! Totally bemused by the ice machine concept!
I do not find the kettle and even tea and coffee in the room at St Regis DC. They have a fridge.

​​​​​I was staying at Sheraton Tribeca which did not have the fridge. Westin Harborfront has a fridge which cannot be used when I stayed there 2 years ago and I was told they were about to remove it from the room.

Courtyard Toronto also no fridge. They told me there are select service hotel.

I never see any of these brands in Asia does not have fridge.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
St. Regs Deer Valley used to charge to empty the "refreshment center (in Utah, cannot put alcohol in units - think of the children...)" - I believe it was $50. Basically, it paid to have someone empty the contents and then refill it post-stay. Something about items being in the center could not be put back in, but discarded. Don't know if really true, but that was the line.

As for those mini-fridges/honor bar/refreshment center: They are not meant to be actual refrigerators as they operate at a higher temperature than needed for a refrigerator. They keep things cool, not cold. That is why hotels have a small supply of other little fridges to give to guests with a need - medication, breast milk, special diet foods, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.