Wiki Posts
Search

Combine SPG accounts

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Combine SPG accounts

Does anyone know how to combine my SPG account (have spg amex card) with my wife's? She has ambassador status and when we use her account number we get ripped on the points with my card....any ideas?
Old May 26, 2018, 6:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
Does anyone know how to combine my SPG account (have spg amex card) with my wife's? She has ambassador status and when we use her account number we get ripped on the points with my card....any ideas?
Are you asking if you can have a spousal membership? If so, you can't. Neither Starwood nor Marriott offer this.

Are you asking if you can consolidate your points? You can if you use the same address for your Starwood accounts and have done so for 30 days or more. Log into your account, go to the link to move points to a family member, and give your wife's SPG number. You can move in increments of 1,000. It takes roughly one week for points to move between accounts.

I'll be honest and say I don't understand "when we use her account number we get ripped on the points with my card".
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
with the amex card if you have platinum status you receive more points than with no status so we miss out on all of the bonus points because the ambassador status provides more benefits with her account number. I don't understand why we can't combine accounts or switch her status to my account when (if) we permitted to do so
Old May 26, 2018, 7:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
. . .

I'll be honest and say I don't understand "when we use her account number we get ripped on the points with my card".
When the reservation has her account number yet they pay with his card, her account does not receive the points and credit it should since the reservation is in one person's name and the payment is being made by someone else.

If I were OP, I would add my wife as an authorized user. There is no charge for this and the card is in her name even though the card will be attached to your account not your wife's.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
with the amex card if you have platinum status you receive more points than with no status
Incorrect. A Platinum member does not receive any more points from the credit card than a non-elite.

I don't understand why we can't combine accounts or switch her status to my account when (if) we permitted to do so
Because the program's rules do not allow it.

Originally Posted by controller1
When the reservation has her account number yet they pay with his card, her account does not receive the points and credit it should since the reservation is in one person's name and the payment is being made by someone else.
While the rules do say this, we always book under my account and pay with my wife's card and have never failed to get full credit.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
with the amex card if you have platinum status you receive more points than with no status so we miss out on all of the bonus points because the ambassador status provides more benefits with her account number. I don't understand why we can't combine accounts or switch her status to my account when (if) we permitted to do so
Why? Because you're different people. Also, because the program's T&C say so.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Incorrect. A Platinum member does not receive any more points from the credit card than a non-elite.

Because the program's rules do not allow it.

While the rules do say this, we always book under my account and pay with my wife's card and have never failed to get full credit.
However, elites get the third point on all bills and Plat75 and Amb get the fourth point. Moreover, there can be targeted promos.

AFAIK to get credit, officially the person whose name is on the account is to STAY and PAY. So if another person's credit card is used, ther should be no stay/nights/points credit. YMMV obviously.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK to get credit, officially the person whose name is on the account is to STAY and PAY. So if another person's credit card is used, ther should be no stay/nights/points credit. YMMV obviously.
Yes, that is the rule. However, I believe they have lightened up when it's a spouses/SO's card.

If it was me, I would add the wife to the AMEX account and everything should work.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
However, elites get the third point on all bills and Plat75 and Amb get the fourth point.
Those have nothing at all to do with the credit card.

AFAIK to get credit, officially the person whose name is on the account is to STAY and PAY. So if another person's credit card is used, ther should be no stay/nights/points credit.
Officially yes, but in 10+ years at SPG, I have always gotten full credit when using my wife's card. If there's any concern, use the spouse's card to buy a gift certificate and pay with that. That also works if the spouse isn't traveling with you
Old May 28, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Those have nothing at all to do with the credit card.

Officially yes, but in 10+ years at SPG, I have always gotten full credit when using my wife's card. If there's any concern, use the spouse's card to buy a gift certificate and pay with that. That also works if the spouse isn't traveling with you
I never claimed that this has anything to do with credit cards, but it is a reason for wanting to try to credit the stay to the elite account, not to the account of the credit card holder, even if the elite account doesn't need the stay/nights credit for status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.