Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel opening postponed - Platinum help line unhelpful - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I have a stay at the Four Points SLC. The opening has been pushed back to July, and my stay is in about 10 days time.

I received an email that was open ended, with an email address. Replied back and asked to be called back, requesting to be moved to the Sheraton for the same rate. No call back, so I called SPG Platinum. They were polite, but basically said I could book the Sheraton at the current rate or cancel. They feel that 10 days is sufficient notice, and no further consideration can be given. By that rep at least. My booking was made about a month ago or more.

I was polite, and we decided to leave it as is and see if I get called back. But this does not feel like a positive experience for any guest, let alone a Plat (actually Marriott lifetime Plat). This is my first experience in this situation, but expected SPG would have stepped up. Are my expectations out of tune? I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Aside from the "principle" of this... what is the Sheraton rate you're getting compared to your FP SLC rate? If it's similar I'd just book it rather than wait and then have the rate go higher.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bmchris
I have a stay at the Four Points SLC. The opening has been pushed back to July, and my stay is in about 10 days time.

I received an email that was open ended, with an email address. Replied back and asked to be called back, requesting to be moved to the Sheraton for the same rate. No call back, so I called SPG Platinum. They were polite, but basically said I could book the Sheraton at the current rate or cancel. They feel that 10 days is sufficient notice, and no further consideration can be given. By that rep at least. My booking was made about a month ago or more.

I was polite, and we decided to leave it as is and see if I get called back. But this does not feel like a positive experience for any guest, let alone a Plat (actually Marriott lifetime Plat). This is my first experience in this situation, but expected SPG would have stepped up. Are my expectations out of tune? I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
To summarize another recent thread on the same topic it's up to the specific property as to what, if anything, they do.

SPG policy for delayed hotel opening?
Old May 26, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Am in the same position and got the email from SPG.

This has happened to me once or twice before and the responses seem to be much better when the property reaches out directly!

When Aloft Louisville East was postponed a few years back, they gave everyone a free night for the inconvenience!

When SPG are in charge though, it seems that the response is pretty lackluster.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doing this stuff by email is useless and asking to be called back when you can call yourself also puts you at the back of the line.

1. Call back and see if you can do better.
2. If you can, great.
3. If you can't, make a decision as to whether you book the place you want, some other place presumably at roughly the rate you had expected to pay.
4. After your stay, send a short note to SPG saying how disappointed you are that it was unable to open on schedule. See if they toss something your way. Unlikely and if it's anything, it won't be much.

Whatever you do, don't delay. There is a whole lot less SPG capacity out there on your date of travel and that will push rates up, up, and up as the date gets closer. You will likely pay more today than last week, and so on.

This isn't a 5-star luxury resort on a far-away island, it's SLC. Tons of properties at all price levels.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
When SPG are in charge though, it seems that the response is pretty lackluster.
SPG isn't in charge. Your booking is with the property, not SPG.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
The Sheraton SLC is a dump. I would go elsewhere.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
SPG isn't in charge. Your booking is with the property, not SPG.
Right, but it is SPG that is doing the bidding on behalf of the properties... whereas in the past the property has reached out directly.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Aside from the "principle" of this... what is the Sheraton rate you're getting compared to your FP SLC rate? If it's similar I'd just book it rather than wait and then have the rate go higher.
2000 points for 2 weekend nights.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:54 am

2000 points for 2 weekend nights.
Why didn't you state in your first post that you had a points booking at 2000 points per night and the Sheraton is 7000 points per night?
Old May 28, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Because I didn't know how much the Sheraton was in terms of points - I never looked it up.

But the rates in terms of dollars between both hotels is comparable (from memory when I booked), so I expected there not to be an issue and any difference to be absorbed for the inconvenience. But since someone asked, and it may be an issue, that is why I replied.

Is that an issue? Wouldn't they also mainly take into account the dollar rates? Is it a case of we can't do 2000 points, but could do 3000 or 4000 points a night?
Old May 28, 2018, 8:07 am

Because I didn't know how much the Sheraton was in terms of points - I never looked it up.

But the rates in terms of dollars between both hotels is comparable (from memory when I booked), so I expected there not to be an issue and any difference to be absorbed for the inconvenience. But since someone asked, and it may be an issue, that is why I replied.

Is that an issue? Wouldn't they also mainly take into account the dollar rates? Is it a case of we can't do 2000 points, but could do 3000 or 4000 points a night?
I apologize my last question was confusing. My question is are you holding a 2 night reservation at 2000 points per night at the hotel that is delayed in opening?
Old May 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Ask for accommodation at the same rate (or less) at one of the plethora of Marriott properties in that same area. The 4 Points is going in on the west side of the airport, not near downtown. Look at the Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, or Fairfield Inn, all within the same vicinity. Be aware that there is not much out there, but hotels and the hotel restaurants. If you wanted more options for that stay, then look at the properties downtown SLC. Be wary of the Marriott City Center! In major need of the scheduled renovation (the GM told me about the reno, but I don't know the dates). Really tired facility. SLC is one place where I choose to stay outside Starriott - Kimpton Hotel Monaco is my go-to now.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I apologize my last question was confusing. My question is are you holding a 2 night reservation at 2000 points per night at the hotel that is delayed in opening?
Yes - that is exactly my situation.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Ask for accommodation at the same rate (or less) at one of the plethora of Marriott properties in that same area. The 4 Points is going in on the west side of the airport, not near downtown. Look at the Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, or Fairfield Inn, all within the same vicinity. Be aware that there is not much out there, but hotels and the hotel restaurants. If you wanted more options for that stay, then look at the properties downtown SLC. Be wary of the Marriott City Center! In major need of the scheduled renovation (the GM told me about the reno, but I don't know the dates). Really tired facility. SLC is one place where I choose to stay outside Starriott - Kimpton Hotel Monaco is my go-to now.
If one finds accommodations in a non-Stariott property in lieu of the Four Points SLC, can one expect any compensation from SPG for the consequences of the delayed opening? Either in $ terms or by way of Starpoints or stay credits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.