Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Existing reservation. Points reduction in August. Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver

I swear I thought I saw the answer to my question somewhere on FT but now I can't find it...

I have a reservation at a cat 7 SPG property for early 2019. It's 5 nights at 30,000 per night, so 120,000 SPG points (with the 5th night free). With the new award chart coming in August the property will almost certainly become a "new" category 7 at 60,000 MR points per night (20,000 SPG equivalent). So I could book the same reservation for 240,000 MR points in August which is significantly less than the 360,000 MR equivalent points I spent for the existing reservation.

Will the points difference be automatically refunded to my combined account in August?

The catch here is that the dates I'm booked no longer have availability for points bookings so I can't just cancel and rebook in August.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
C6. Will existing SPG award reservations be honored at the same rate after August 1?
Stays booked now will be honored at current booking rates even if the stays occur after the new redemption rates take effect. There’s no need to take any action. Note that for stays booked with points, if you modify your stay dates after August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation. <added by Starwood Lurker 30Apr18

C7. If a member cancels an SPG award reservation after August 1, how many points will be refunded? Refunds will be returned at the converted value. <added by Starwood Lurker 30Apr2018>
Old May 19, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't see any way they magically credit you back any points differential...you just have to hope space opens up and then re-book at the lower rates
Old May 19, 2018, 9:54 am

A previous Q&A stated reservations will need to be cancelled and then rebooked to redeem rates at the new award chart. I would not expect an automatic refund. Even if points availability does not show online for your dates, if premium rooms are available they may be available on points by calling. I have not seen any information with respect to what the new program will look like for premium room redemptions, but it is one other avenue for you to consider should availability not be displayed on your dates come August 1.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
C6. Will existing SPG award reservations be honored at the same rate after August 1?
Stays booked now will be honored at current booking rates even if the stays occur after the new redemption rates take effect. There’s no need to take any action. Note that for stays booked with points, if you modify your stay dates after August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation. <added by Starwood Lurker 30Apr18

C7. If a member cancels an SPG award reservation after August 1, how many points will be refunded? Refunds will be returned at the converted value. <added by Starwood Lurker 30Apr2018>

To my reading it's not entirely clear what is meant by "Refunds will be returned at the converted value." I assume that it means that my 120,000 SPG points would be returned as 360,000 MR points which would be fine. However, it could also be read as the points would be returned based on the new (lower) points rate in effect after August 1.

Originally Posted by mrfussion
A previous Q&A stated reservations will need to be cancelled and then rebooked to redeem rates at the new award chart. I would not expect an automatic refund. Even if points availability does not show online for your dates, if premium rooms are available they may be available on points by calling. I have not seen any information with respect to what the new program will look like for premium room redemptions, but it is one other avenue for you to consider should availability not be displayed on your dates come August 1.
I assume that any refund would not be automatic. My hope (and it's only hope) is that I will be able to contact MR and have the existing reservation cancelled and converted to the reduced points level and the difference refunded, essentially cancelling and re-opening award space for my dates. I've not seen any details regarding this sort of event on FT or the Marriott/SPG sites.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; May 19, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old May 19, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

To my reading it's not entirely clear what is meant by "Refunds will be returned at the converted value." I assume that it means that my 120,000 SPG points would be returned as 360,000 MR points which would be fine. However, it could also be read as the points would be returned based on the new (lower) points rate in effect after August 1.

I assume that any refund would not be automatic. My hope (and it's only hope) is that I will be able to contact MR and have the existing reservation cancelled and converted to the reduced points level and the difference refunded, essentially cancelling and re-opening award space for my dates. I've not seen any details regarding this sort of event on FT or the Marriott/SPG sites.
would be careful. Much like a cleared airline upgrade or award, canceling that space is a gamble whether the space returns or not
roubaolic likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond

My experience with SPG was ALWAYS that if there was a category change at a hotel and the number of points required decreased, I just called and was refunded the difference in points. They didn’t need to CANCEL my reservation. I don’t have experience with MR in this regard, but I would hope they’d do the same! DON’T cancel your own reservation, unless you are able to rebook successfully first, and don’t let a customer service rep cancel it either. If the policy isn’t crystal clear by the time the changes occur in August, I’d call and ask for the assistance of a customer service supervisor.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

You may have hopes that will not be realized. You need to make sure an award reservation is still bookable prior to cancelling a current award reservation. Cancelling an award reservation does not necessarily open availability for a new award reservation.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Travelosopher

My experience with SPG was ALWAYS that if there was a category change at a hotel and the number of points required decreased, I just called and was refunded the difference in points. They didn’t need to CANCEL my reservation. I don’t have experience with MR in this regard, but I would hope they’d do the same! DON’T cancel your own reservation, unless you are able to rebook successfully first, and don’t let a customer service rep cancel it either. If the policy isn’t crystal clear by the time the changes occur in August, I’d call and ask for the assistance of a customer service supervisor.
My experience with SPG has ALWAYS NOT been what your experience has been. A reduction in number of points required has always required me to cancel the current higher-point reservation and book a new reservation which in effect brought about the refund.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1
My experience with SPG has ALWAYS NOT been what your experience has been. A reduction in number of points required has always required me to cancel the current higher-point reservation and book a new reservation which in effect brought about the refund.
When I’ve handled it myself, I’ve rebooked first, then cancelled the original reservation and thus got my points back. But when I’ve called SPG, I believe I’ve simply had my reservation & points adjusted. (Am I thinking of Hyatt for the latter?)

Last edited by Travelosopher; May 19, 2018 at 11:43 am Reason: Typo
Old May 19, 2018, 11:47 am

When I’ve handled it myself, I’ve rebooked first, then cancelled the original reservation and thus got my points back. But when I’ve called SPG, I believe I’ve simply had my reservation & points adjusted. (Am I thinking of Hyatt for the latter?)
Not sure if you're thinking Hyatt or not but the first time I attempted this I called SPG and was warned that there was no award space available and when they cancel my current reservation they could not guarantee award rooms would open.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:28 pm

Keep the res but change the award certificate

I googled to try to find an answer to this question, and saw that in an April 16, 2018 blog post, View from the Wing quoted Marriott/David Flueck as advising those who experience a category decrease for an already reserved hotel to CALL Marriott Rewards in August, once the category changes are in place, to get help to CHANGE the AWARD CERTIFICATE attached to the reservation but KEEP the ORIGINAL RESERVATION intact. This is what I would do! It makes sense! (BUT if you handle it yourself, NEVER CANCEL the original reservation until you’re certain the new one is confirmed.)
controller1 and roubaolic like this.

Last edited by Travelosopher; May 19, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

I googled to try to find an answer to this question, and saw that in an April 16, 2018 blog post, View from the Wing quoted Marriott/David Flueck as advising those who experience a category decrease for an already reserved hotel to CALL Marriott Rewards in August, once the category changes are in place, to get help to CHANGE the AWARD CERTIFICATE attached to the reservation but KEEP the ORIGINAL RESERVATION intact. This is what I would do! It makes sense! (BUT if you handle it yourself, NEVER CANCEL the original reservation until you’re certain the new one is confirmed.)
Excellent post Travelosopher. This is exactly how it works now when a MR property drops in category and should be how it will work in August.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Excellent post Travelosopher. This is exactly how it works now when a MR property drops in category and should be how it will work in August.
Thank you, HHonors OUTSIDER, for the positive feedback and confirmation of the way this process currently works. I, myself, am just starting to learn the Marriott rules!
Old May 19, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think it's quite a stretch to read the latter into it. If you booked at X SPG points and cancel, you'll get 3X MR points back in your combined account. I'd bet heavily on that. I've never heard a category change referred to as a "converted value".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.