Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What to do with SPG Starpoints as merger approaches Aug 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Between spouse and myself, we have about 150k Starpoints. Our big summer trip is already planned/paid for. And with a kid starting college in the fall, I haven't wanted to make any particular travel plans for the year ahead b/c no telling what our schedule will be like. Including or excluding that kid (1 of 3) alters how we travel, so it's hard to plan not knowing what his situation will be.

Should I be doing anything with these points? Are they going to devalue radically when moved to Marriott? I'm wondering if I should move over to an airline, though would rather not b/c far less flexibility. Should I speculatively book a SPG property for next year? Just wondering best strategy going forward.

FWIW, I have zeroed out my Marriott Rewards for summer trip.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This thread reflects some recent discussion.

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?
Old May 14, 2018, 11:28 am

Wow, some people have MILLIONS of SPG points on that other discussion. It's amazing.

I don't think there's much of a risk for sitting on the 150K points right now and getting 3X Marriott points in August.

I will be lifelong gold with Starwood with a stay in July, so I'll probably stick with SPG/Marriott for now. Just wondering what to do with my SPG Amex right now. I read the whole, huge thread about the future of the SPG card and still don't know what to do!
Old May 14, 2018, 2:45 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
It looks like there’s going to be a temporary increase in the value of redemptions on the high end of the Starwood scale for award nights booked in August to December where the top tier is 20k starpoints equivilent. If you’re concerned about the math going forward after December then I’d burn your points during that window on luxury collection or st Regis stays.

The high end end still doesn’t look too bad with peak season highest category going from the 35k/70k starpoint level to the 33k equivalent level.

Lower end end hotels are a crapshoot and If that’s how you typically spend your points then you might want to zero out before the changeover.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Between spouse and myself, we have about 150k Starpoints. Our big summer trip is already planned/paid for. And with a kid starting college in the fall, I haven't wanted to make any particular travel plans for the year ahead b/c no telling what our schedule will be like. Including or excluding that kid (1 of 3) alters how we travel, so it's hard to plan not knowing what his situation will be.

Should I be doing anything with these points? Are they going to devalue radically when moved to Marriott? I'm wondering if I should move over to an airline, though would rather not b/c far less flexibility. Should I speculatively book a SPG property for next year? Just wondering best strategy going forward.

FWIW, I have zeroed out my Marriott Rewards for summer trip.
Since you don't know what your travel requirements will be, I'd suggest leave your points in the account with the highest status (pre linking) and DO NOT merge your accounts in August. Review all three programs (MPG, MR, and SPG) to see what you feel comfortable with. You might find booking legacy MR/SPG point stays to be a better deal, especially if your legacy status gets you better benefits. We don't know what's going to happen with linked accounts come August. We don't know what's going to happen with legacy accounts once merged. Take time to evaluate your needs before jumping.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Since you don't know what your travel requirements will be, I'd suggest leave your points in the account with the highest status (pre linking) and DO NOT merge your accounts in August. Review all three programs (MPG, MR, and SPG) to see what you feel comfortable with. You might find booking legacy MR/SPG point stays to be a better deal, especially if your legacy status gets you better benefits. We don't know what's going to happen with linked accounts come August. We don't know what's going to happen with legacy accounts once merged. Take time to evaluate your needs before jumping.
I'm not sure why you feel you don't know what's going to happen. They have already told us we can convert between programs instantly. They have already told us on Aug 1 that Starpoints will convert into points at the same conversion. You make it seem like the sky is falling but they have been clear and upfront about the value of the points in the separate programs.

OP - when the award chart comes out in June (I believe) you/we will be able to see the devaluation and at that time you can peruse the list to make a more informed decision as to what to do with your points. If you find the devaluation too deep, you an do an airline transfer. I'd sit tight until then in your case since you have no current need.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
It looks like there’s going to be a temporary increase in the value of redemptions on the high end of the Starwood scale for award nights booked in August to December where the top tier is 20k starpoints equivilent. If you’re concerned about the math going forward after December then I’d burn your points during that window on luxury collection or st Regis stays.

The high end end still doesn’t look too bad with peak season highest category going from the 35k/70k starpoint level to the 33k equivalent level.
i was actually thinking about that before I move my starpoints. but looking at some of the uber top end properties such as the W maldives and st regis maldives, they have zero points availability at the end of this year.

So i guess these arent going to get slotted into category 8 - or any category for that matter. wonder what the redemption possibilities will be post merger.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm not sure why you feel you don't know what's going to happen. They have already told us we can convert between programs instantly. They have already told us on Aug 1 that Starpoints will convert into points at the same conversion. You make it seem like the sky is falling but they have been clear and upfront about the value of the points in the separate programs.

OP - when the award chart comes out in June (I believe) you/we will be able to see the devaluation and at that time you can peruse the list to make a more informed decision as to what to do with your points. If you find the devaluation too deep, you an do an airline transfer. I'd sit tight until then in your case since you have no current need.
If you read the announcement closer they say sometime in August we will be asked to merge our accounts. Not that they will be doing it for us on 8/1, why? Nowhere do they say what effect the merge will have on legacy accounts. Will they remain in effect to earn status per legacy rules or will they manage that manually. I've been through enough merges and even just program rule changes (especially with MR) to look closely and not just presume everything will be done right. WE have to watch what's going on and be sure to understand what's expected vs what's delivered.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thanks, everyone! I think I will wait and see what happens after Aug 1. I merged my accounts long ago, so no going back now. Also need to read the terms of the merger closely to figure out what flexibility I'll be loosing.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thanks, everyone! I think I will wait and see what happens after Aug 1. I merged my accounts long ago, so no going back now. Also need to read the terms of the merger closely to figure out what flexibility I'll be loosing.
Actually, no SPG or Rewards member has combined or merged their SPG and Rewards accounts yet.

It's been possible to link accounts since September 2016, when Marriott's acquisition of Starwood closed. But that's still meant two separate accounts -- just with linked Elite status and the opportunity to move points between accounts.

In August, it will be possible really to combine accounts. According to Marriott, "Combining accounts will create a single account and profile; and it will combine your points and Elite-night balances — so all your points and nights will work harder for you."

Before August, Marriott will release the new redemption levels for each hotel. It would then be the right time to decide whether to book reservations under the old (pre-August) or new redemption levels -- or just to hold onto the points for future use.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Quick question along the same lines of this topic. Should we leave points in our SPG or does it not matter? I ask because I have been staying at SPG exclusively this year and moving my points to Marriott in advance of cashing in on the points and miles offer.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJKen
Quick question along the same lines of this topic. Should we leave points in our SPG or does it not matter? I ask because I have been staying at SPG exclusively this year and moving my points to Marriott in advance of cashing in on the points and miles offer.
Seem general consensus is there should be no difference. The announcement says WE will be asked to merge our accounts. Presuming we will still have the 1:3 conversion rate we will end up with the same number of points. If you think you will do any Marriott stays before the accounts are merged, then putting what you need into MR sooner will avoid any system issues that might popup later. I suggest just sit tight and watch for any future announcements that may suggest doing differently.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NJKen
Today, SPG and Rewards are separate programs, each representing a non-overlapping set of hotel brands, with redemption categories that don't align with each other and differently valued point currencies (1 SPG point = 3 Rewards points). In August, this will no longer be the case. SPG and Rewards, as we know these programs today, will cease to exist.

The combined program will represent all 29 participating brands. Starpoint balances will be multiplied by 3. Starpoints and Rewards Points will all just be points. Redemption will be across all 29 brands with a consistent redemption structure. In 2019, the new loyalty program will have a name.

Members who have only an SPG account or a Rewards account, but not both, will automatically have one account in the new loyalty program.

Members who have linked their SPG account and Rewards account will probably get a simple "one click" option to combine them into one account in the new loyalty program. Until they exercise this option, they will have two accounts, without any advantage in having two (at least as far as I can tell).

Members who have both, but have not linked their accounts, will undoubtedly be encouraged to combine their accounts. Until they do so, they'll have two accounts -- again with no particular advantage of having two.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you read the announcement closer they say sometime in August we will be asked to merge our accounts. Not that they will be doing it for us on 8/1, why? Nowhere do they say what effect the merge will have on legacy accounts. Will they remain in effect to earn status per legacy rules or will they manage that manually. I've been through enough merges and even just program rule changes (especially with MR) to look closely and not just presume everything will be done right. WE have to watch what's going on and be sure to understand what's expected vs what's delivered.
Hmmm. Not sure if I understand your post correctly? I don't think we have a choice in August. Period.

My assumption is that when August 01 comes our accounts will be combined and they will be doing it.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

I went digging and found this information:

https://members.marriott.com/spg/
In a one-time conversion in August, StarpointsŪ will automatically become points and your Starpoints balance will be multiplied by three.

It seems that whether you have linked your Marriott and Starwood accounts or not, you will have currency in each that behaves exactly the same.
rick253 and LF72 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.