Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What to do with SPG Starpoints as merger approaches Aug 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with SPG Starpoints as merger approaches Aug 1

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I should understand this but I don’t. Can someone explain the Aug-Jan “sweet spot” for award nights?
When the new loyalty program begins in August 2018, it will have 7 categories: https://members.marriott.com/redeem/

Booking redemptions while this new 2018 chart is in effect is likely to be the "sweet spot" for redemptions.

The new categories do not map to existing SPG categories, Rewards categories, or RC tiers. Category 7, the highest category in 2018, is 60,000 points per night (equivalent to 20,000 Starpoints). Aspirational SPG properties can be higher than that today. Hotels will be mapped to the new chart. Some will go up. Some will go down.

In 2019, the loyalty program will add an 8th category and will introduce off-peak and peak redemptions. Chances are that highly desirable hotels and will require more points, either because top hotels will move up to category 8, or because the member's redemption will be during a peak session for that hotel -- or both.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Ok..so if I have two accounts right now.......and I do nothing on August 01 then nothing will change for me other than my SPG points being multiplied by 3. Now in saying that I am under the impression that it said that as of August 01 all nights whether at SPG or MAR will go toward your elite qualification for the year.

As said I am sure we will find out more but if they are not automatically combined...do I combine / do I not combine....I can't imagine there will be more or less benefits doing one or the other?

In essence based on my nights I will need to add some MAR stays into the picture before the end of the year to get PLAT but I thought it was just doing it automatically. If I don't combine on Aug.01 will the MAR stays still count towards the whole from two accounts?

I think I am more confused now than I have ever been!
Hopefully they will have most the gaps filled in by the time we are asked to merge our accounts. Depending upon your situation, holding off may be wise. I can see them closing the legacy accounts once merged and that cutting off the ability to earn status in those programs (this is my fear and not official). They have switched regarding how to earn LTPP status, so what else will change? Looking at the downside, I don't see any issues holding off on the merge until more things shake out. Once you merge, then all earned nights in both programs will come together. If the combination puts you at a higher status, then you will have it. Again, no apparent issue holding off.

Everyone needs to read the rules as they evolve and decide what works the best for them. Some of us spend way too much time working the angles and squeezing the most out of every move.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:56 am

I have the SPG Amex card for Canada..havent heard anything about a new card..so I guess it's wise to keep my SPG account open until that card ceases to exist?
Old May 26, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by torontotravel
I have the SPG Amex card for Canada..havent heard anything about a new card..so I guess it's wise to keep my SPG account open until that card ceases to exist?
Yet another unresolved issue. It might be fair to expect them to continue to accept the points from AMEX until the agreement is shut down. Whether they will just transfer them to the merged account or update AMEX with you new account is unknown. But wise to hold off until addressed.
torontotravel likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:34 am

This conversion is horrible for Star Point holders, i highly recommend reserving future stays as they will still honor the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.