Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

MAGC and Welcome Points under combined program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I just thought about this after a multi-night stay at a Sheraton the other week. One of SPG's greatest benefits has been 500 points for MAGC as well as 500 points for Plat Amenity. I've earned many thousands of points from this and when you do the 1:3 transfer it works out well will MR.

Marriott currently gives 500 points Plat Amenity and sometimes 250-500 points for declining housekeeping.

This is a big devalue if you'll earn 500 Marriott Rewards points instead of the 1500 points equivalent per night/checkin.

Anyone seen anything out there or have thoughts on what they might do to adjust it? I'd be happy if they split the difference and make it 1000 MR points, but who knows. Might need to switch stays to Starwood until August just to make a run at points.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by bigshooter
This is a big devalue if you'll earn 500 Marriott Rewards points instead of the 1500 points equivalent per night/checkin.
My sense is the MAGC points will depend on what amount of points/reward (USD5 F&B credit at SPG) will shift behavior. MAGC is not so much about the environmental benefits (clearly there are) but about properties saving sometimes significantly on housekeeping and other costs. My sense is that 250 SPG points (USD5) was about the minimum customers would participate meaning if the points awarded fall anywhere below 750 points/USD5 in the new program, customer participation would likely drop. For example, I doubt a USD1 F&B credit would do much.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm guessing that since both SPG and Marriott have been making a distinction on the welcome amenity points and at least SPG on MAGC, we'll see the combined program give twice as many points at more expensive hotels, we'll see perhaps 1,000 at 4Pts, aloft, element (plus RI, TPS, etc. on the Matrriott side) and 2,000 at what are considered full service properties.

AFAIK element hasn't been doing this, but Marriott extended stay properties normally don't do housekeeping every day on longer stays anyway, so I don't think they'll start offering points for a MAGC program.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I just thought about this after a multi-night stay at a Sheraton the other week. One of SPG's greatest benefits has been 500 points for MAGC as well as 500 points for Plat Amenity. I've earned many thousands of points from this and when you do the 1:3 transfer it works out well will MR.

Marriott currently gives 500 points Plat Amenity and sometimes 250-500 points for declining housekeeping.

Anyone seen anything out there or have thoughts on what they might do to adjust it? I'd be happy if they split the difference and make it 1000 MR points, but who knows. Might need to switch stays to Starwood until August just to make a run at points.
Obviously, it is 1:3 devaluation under the premises of bringing all points to common denominator. I foresee a change to better points maybe in 2-3 years. I would usually stay a week at a time, so Amenity + green choice will bring me up to 3.5K points (if a property didn't have a mandatory clean up after 2 or 3 nights).
Old May 10, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If MAGC continues I reckon it will mimic the Plat Amenity - i.e. 500 Marriott points at limited service and 1,000 Marriott points elsewhere.

Just checked into a Holiday Inn offering 500 points, and that is worth $2.50 or so. So the value can go lower and don't forget that a large number of people have no idea that 1,000 Hilton points is worth half as much as 500 Starpoints. As long as the round number sounds impressive, many people will go for it...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:53 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Has there been any official communication on how the new MAGC program will work?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
FWIW, I am currently staying at a Sheraton that I’ve always participated in the MAGC program at. Staying again next week after the program merger. Who knows if this is the official position but they said they still plan to only offer 500 points next week (acknowledging there is a value difference between Starpoints and Marriott Points).

If that ends up being true, that’s obvuously not great news.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by laangelsfan
FWIW, I am currently staying at a Sheraton that I’ve always participated in the MAGC program at. Staying again next week after the program merger. Who knows if this is the official position but they said they still plan to only offer 500 points next week (acknowledging there is a value difference between Starpoints and Marriott Points).

If that ends up being true, that’s obvuously not great news.
Just completed a stay at the Milwaukee Marriott Downtown and they had a hangtag indicating one would receive 500 Marriott points for declining housekeeping. I assume all "Marriotts" will be consistent come August 18 on this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:05 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I get the impression from my standard SPG hotel that the number of points will remain the same. I have to admit that I will likely no longer participate at that level. I value the water bottles being replenished more.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by cbellero
I get the impression from my standard SPG hotel that the number of points will remain the same. I have to admit that I will likely no longer participate at that level. I value the water bottles being replenished more.
Yeah same here. A clean room everyday, empty trash can, refuled shampoo and new towels are so not worth as little as 500 marriott points. That's ridiculous.
I can understand business people will take part and won't care. However my travel are all personal with friends and girlfriend.
Will not take part in this new green choice program.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:43 am

I totally agree. 500 points isn't enough to make it worthwhile and I won't use the program at those amounts.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I don't think they are going to offer more than 500 for MAGC or for welcome amenities. As mentioned, the current state at Marriott properties is 500 MR for each benefit. It must be achieving the goals they anticipated at that level otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Why would they change that for legacy SPG properties?

I, for one, typically don't want housekeeping in my room regardless of MAGC on weekly business trips. So if I get any points, it's a bonus versus just leaving the DND sign up for 3 days.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Little question....do you believe this is all changing on the 18th August...or by not linking our accounts, we could benefit from the old 500 starpoints till the end of the year?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Little question....do you believe this is all changing on the 18th August...or by not linking our accounts, we could benefit from the old 500 starpoints till the end of the year?
No, come the 18th all SPG points are up'ed 3 times and everyone works in MPG points. Starpoints will be gone forever, regardless of having linked (which dies with the merge of the programs) or merging your accounts.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
i'm more concerned with reducing waste and the environmental impact by not cleaning my room every day. The shampoo and soap suck so I bring my own. There are more than enough towels for my weekly stays. If my stays are less than 5 days then even less reason to clean it every day. I don't fill my garbage can up in 3-4 days. I've stayed over 200 nights this year and I've only had my room clean 6-7 times. regardless of points or not I'll still do it. Guess the asian in me hates the wastefulness...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.