Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 11, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You *barely* made it.
Someone has more nights than you. Time to step up your game!
Canada101 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I don't think 3 is accurate. They do not appear to be allowing you combine all Marriott and SPG nights prior to 12/31/18. Rather you will have to 750 nights in the SPG program. The one exception seems to be that they will count 2018 Marriott nights towards SPG lifetime. At least that's how I read it.
confirmation on this? By combining both will make the number of LTPP significantly more.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
No you may fall short. You better get to 2000 nights before Dec 31. Congratulations.
It would be better to get to 2,000 nights before August and 2,500 by the end of the year. This person needs to get busy and do a lot more sleeping around, although fortunately SPG allows night credit for three rooms.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The difference is so small between LTP and LTPP, I'm surprised Hilton can squeeze in there. So Hilton is better than LTP and not as good as LTPP?

I will be LTPP, but honestly when I realized how infinitesimal the difference was, I stopped caring. Wish I could gift my higher tier to someone who actually cares.

Plus anyone can be PP just by staying 75 nights/yr which I will easily achieve with Marriott's larger footprint (and credit card nights and meeting nights).
Let me clarify, by 31-DEC-18 I probably will "just" achieve 600 nights and the required years to be LTP. I'm going to be 2 years short of the 10 year requirement. So since there is nothing "higher" for me to work towards beyond LTP, in major cities where I have choice, I will choose Hilton/Waldorf over Marriott and work towards lifetime status there.

Totally agree with you that the difference between LTP and LTPP isn't big. But given I spend about 120 to 200 nights a year at hotels, there is no "extra" loyalty incentive for me to choose Marriott. And yeah, I do "resent" the issue that just cuz I wasn't born early enough that I don't have any path to a tier that other road warriors have achieved, possibly with less annual spend than myself (all out of pocket since I run my own business). My firm probably generates 800 to 1000 nights a year cumulatively, I would like to be recognized equally to other customers who have put in similar loyalty.

Admittedly, Marriott could've screwed up the loyalty merger a lot more, so fundamentally I'm relieved, but on principle, I don't feel recognized for the loyalty I invested into. Yes also agree I will have no problem achieving LTPP on an annual basis. So I will likely do the minimum nights at Marriott, and on average 75 nights at Hilton/Waldorf
Old May 12, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
Let me clarify, by 31-DEC-18 I probably will "just" achieve 600 nights and the required years to be LTP. I'm going to be 2 years short of the 10 year requirement. So since there is nothing "higher" for me to work towards beyond LTP, in major cities where I have choice, I will choose Hilton/Waldorf over Marriott and work towards lifetime status there.

Totally agree with you that the difference between LTP and LTPP isn't big. But given I spend about 120 to 200 nights a year at hotels, there is no "extra" loyalty incentive for me to choose Marriott. And yeah, I do "resent" the issue that just cuz I wasn't born early enough that I don't have any path to a tier that other road warriors have achieved, possibly with less annual spend than myself (all out of pocket since I run my own business). My firm probably generates 800 to 1000 nights a year cumulatively, I would like to be recognized equally to other customers who have put in similar loyalty.

Admittedly, Marriott could've screwed up the loyalty merger a lot more, so fundamentally I'm relieved, but on principle, I don't feel recognized for the loyalty I invested into. Yes also agree I will have no problem achieving LTPP on an annual basis. So I will likely do the minimum nights at Marriott, and on average 75 nights at Hilton/Waldorf
Wouldn't the same argument apply to the legacy SPG program in that, if the merger hadn't happened, once you had completed your ten years as Plat and achieved legacy SPG LTP, there would have been no higher lifetime status possible? Remember, SPG LTP is lifetime PlatMinus and it's always been the case that LTPs must do 50 nights for SNAs, 75 nights for Your24, and 100 nights for an Ambassador. Would you have left SPG as soon as you received SPG LTP two years from now because there's no way to get lifetime Plat50, lifetime Plat75, or lifetime Ambassador?

BTW, to say that your firm generates one thousand total hotel nights per year is nothing.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember, SPG LTP is lifetime PlatMinus*
*Factually not correct*
Canada101 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Im confused....Hasnt 10 always been the required years for SPG LTP??

If if you wanted a path to lifetime status that didnt require years, you should have participated in Marriotts previous program.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
*Factually not correct*
Why not? SPG LTP doesn't give SNAs, Your24, fourth point, Ambassador, etc. You need 50, 75, 75, and 100 nights respectively to earn these benefits, regardless of whether you have SPG LTP status or not.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not? SPG LTP doesn't give SNAs, Your24, fourth point, Ambassador, etc. You need 50, 75, 75, and 100 nights respectively to earn these benefits, regardless of whether you have SPG LTP status or not.
You are literally the only person that calls it that, and all it does is sow confusion.

The additional benefits you get are all layered on top of core Platinum benefits (which also observed a change for the better in 2012). The base level Platinum status is not some discounted, reject, budget friendly option.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Just made SPG PLT again for the 9th year. Checking the SPG Dashboard tells me I have one more year to achieve LTP. Then I see that my PLT status is good thru Jan 2020?

I'm not sure what I need to do to get the MR lifetime status... one more year as MR Plt?
Old May 12, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
And yeah, I do "resent" the issue that just cuz I wasn't born early enough that I don't have any path to a tier that other road warriors have achieved
You also weren't born early enough to get some of the benefits downgraded by Social Security. Meanwhile, others were born too late to get some of the benefits that will open up to you in the future.

Sometimes it is what it is.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Someone has more nights than you. Time to step up your game!
FT is the only place I would expect to find several others ahead of me. I think the lifetime roll call thread has me in 4th or 5th, but I suspect there are a bunch more who haven't posted there yet.
Canada101 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Just made SPG PLT again for the 9th year. Checking the SPG Dashboard tells me I have one more year to achieve LTP. Then I see that my PLT status is good thru Jan 2020?

I'm not sure what I need to do to get the MR lifetime status... one more year as MR Plt?
1. Get one more year of Plat next year, and be LT Plat (assuming you have 600+ nights)
2) Do MR Plat in the rest of this year, and be LT Premier Plat (assuming you have 750+ nights, and assuming they allow that night combining, still TBC)

This is your last chance to get LTPP, if you missed it...
Old May 12, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
FT is the only place I would expect to find several others ahead of me. I think the lifetime roll call thread has me in 4th or 5th, but I suspect there are a bunch more who haven't posted there yet.
I think the LT roll call had me at 6th or 7th so I'm hoping no one else posts!
Old May 12, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by JackE
You also weren't born early enough to get some of the benefits downgraded by Social Security. Meanwhile, others were born too late to get some of the benefits that will open up to you in the future.

Sometimes it is what it is.
only difference is it isnt too easy to stop paying into social security, but one could always switch to hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.