Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 12:48 am

Your 24
As we know it shifts from 75 nights to 100 plus 20K ( and the 100 requirement kicks in August 1st.) What happens in the event that one qualifies before August 1st, under the old rules? Your 24 is valid for the remainder of this year and all of 2019? Or if by 31st December , only counting SPG nights, it's valid for 2019. I'm a bit confused about this.
As for the changes with LTPP, personally I'm glad ( and much more likely to stick with the program) but I believe there's more than a few SPG Golds who would rightfully consider they got a raw deal relative to their Marriott counterparts.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:04 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Seriously I appreciate flyertalers are rabid but to spend 100 nights in a hotel within less than a year is insane unless you genuinely need to. I don’t see much difference to the tiers except for the status. Just not worth it. To be honest if they let everybody who has a claim, combined nights, 10 years, rollover nights, credit card nights it will mean nothing. I will be short of around 50 nights but have no intention of spending six months on a mattress run so I can brag to hat I have the highest level of elite membership. Will be interesting to see if my 90% suite nights still materialise. So far I am happy that I will keep my lifetime platinum membership with little change to the program. Would have liked LTPP but realise it will never happen. Life goes on
margarita girl and Canada101 like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sadly not...I had one Silver year like a decade ago but that's it.
You know you can get plat in SPG and Marriott this year? As a Marriott gold you can do a 9 stay challenge to qualify as plat. There is also the 10 nights for booking a meeting room path at Marriott. Maybe you have some options open to you with some planning.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I apologize if I have missed this in another post or in another thread: I am a MR LTG (which will convert to LTP in August) and to get to LTPP by year end would be a significant effort. By my read, the difference in LTP and LTPP are (i) additional bonus miles, (ii) additional 5 Nights Suite Upgrades, and (iii) 48 hour room availability guarantee. The value of these benefits is an individual preference. Have I missed anything?
(i) correct
(ii) no, you have to stay 50 nights to get 5 SNAs
(iii) correct
Old May 10, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Under the current Marriott system, their Platinum and secret level Platinum Elite do not show differences on computer screen according to the Marriott Plat Elite forum.
This is incorrect. The level above Platinum is Platinum Premier. Having had that status for several years, I know it does show as a different code. The issue is most front desk staff does not know the difference.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by margarita girl
(i) correct
(ii) no, you have to stay 50 nights to get 5 SNAs
(iii) correct
@margarita girl@nli007@SF1K@broadwayboy: Thank you to all who have helped with my understanding of earning Suite Nights (a new concept to most MR members)--that's what FlyerTalk is for!
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Question Bit Confused

OK, so on the SPG dashboard it states years Elite, does this mean years platinum?
I have 14 years "eltie", 901 lifetime nights with SPG and last year I got status matched with Marriott due to the merger and have 96 lifetime nights.
Does this mean I will be Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite?
Also it seems the difference between LPPE and LPE is minimal?!?
So confusing!
Old May 10, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
If I am not too dense to understand the rules now I am actually pretty HAPPY with Marriott after this change. Here's my situation:
- SPG Platinum 9 years
- 2018 will be year 10 of SPG Platinum for me
- End of 2018 I will have 630 Lifetime SPG nights
- End of 2018 I will have 188 MR Lifetime nights
= If I qualify for Platinum this year (which I will) then I will have 10 years of Platinum and 818 combined nights
= Lifetime Platinum Premier ^

I hope I am understanding this correct!!! Only question that I still have open is....do I have to qualify for Platinum this year on JUST SPG nights or can I reach the 50 nights in the combined program to get my 10th year of Platinum full?
Old May 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I apologize if I have missed this in another post or in another thread: I am a MR LTG (which will convert to LTP in August) and to get to LTPP by year end would be a significant effort. By my read, the difference in LTP and LTPP are...
The value of these benefits is an individual preference. Have I missed anything?
I'm in a similar situation, maybe. I have the 750 nights combined. I'm not sure of my years of Plt, but if come August they say it's 9, should I go for a 10th by 12/31?

With the current benefits, it's just not worth it. But I wonder about future changes, not so much enhancements to PP but devaluations to P.

I hate that it's a one-time chance to get LTPP, and if not now, never. Back when AA stopped counting all miles towards LT status, I had a chance to push for LT PLT before the change, but I looked at GLD benefits at the time and they seemed good enough. Since then, GLD has eroded, and I often wish I'd locked in the higher LT status when I had the chance...
Old May 10, 2018, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
All this talk of rushing to make LTPP is making me wonder whether Marriott executives need/want to bump up Starriott occupancy rates for rest of this calendar year to make it appear to investors that the merger is successful and/or to keep hotel owners/managers/investors happy. Yes, I realize that FT is a small part of the universe, but every little bit of revenue added over six thousand hotels for more than seven months helps. [Think of airline cost cutting by removing a shrimp from salads or eliminating free newspapers to save weight as well as the various small fees.]

OTOH, unhappy SPG Golds and people who had comped Gold status (AmEx Plat/Centurion cardholders, UA Gold+, etc.) are threatening to cancel Starriott bookings, so the groups might balance each other to result in zero net impact.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by bedasaka
OK, so on the SPG dashboard it states years Elite, does this mean years platinum?
So confusing!
I totally agree re: confusion on "Years Elite". I was in the same boat before I qualified for SPG LT Platinum when I hit 500 nights but didn't yet his 10 years Platinum but thought I had because of the "Years Elite" counter. "Years Elite" includes both Gold and Platinum years. For the purposes of SPG LT Platinum and now LTPP, the only years that count at those where you earned Platinum status.

If you are already SPG LTP, you will already have earned at least 10 years Platinum (and 500 nights) so for the purposes of LTPP, you will have achieved (at least) one of the two criteria (10 years Platinum) (the other criteria being 750+ nights before Dec 31, 2018).
Old May 10, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
All this talk of rushing to make LTPP is making me wonder whether Marriott executives need/want to bump up Starriott occupancy rates for rest of this calendar year to make it appear to investors that the merger is successful
Any incremental revenue coming from the extra bookings/retained bookings due to a change in how SPG LT Plats can achieve LTPP status by CYE 2018 is LITERALLY less than a rounding error for the purposes of institutional investors.

Dave
Old May 10, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by christianj
If I am not too dense to understand the rules now I am actually pretty HAPPY with Marriott after this change. Here's my situation:
- SPG Platinum 9 years
- 2018 will be year 10 of SPG Platinum for me
- End of 2018 I will have 630 Lifetime SPG nights
- End of 2018 I will have 188 MR Lifetime nights
= If I qualify for Platinum this year (which I will) then I will have 10 years of Platinum and 818 combined nights
= Lifetime Platinum Premier ^

I hope I am understanding this correct!!! Only question that I still have open is....do I have to qualify for Platinum this year on JUST SPG nights or can I reach the 50 nights in the combined program to get my 10th year of Platinum full?
A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Why don't you just finish up your 10 years of SPG before August, get LTP in SPG and be definitely grandfathered in to LTPP in the new programme? Then you don't have to worry any more. ... I'm sure you can generate 25 stays before August to get Platinum...

The specific answer to your question is in the Wiki... you can earn it under legacy or existing SPG requirements all the way till end of 2018 ie just like before. Which means 50 nights in SPG, no combined nights.

Or you can earn it based on the new criteria, in August (when they merge and see if you already meet the requirements) or any time through the end of 2018... which means as long as you do 50 combined nights you're good to go.

At least you have a shot at this... I'm nearing 800 and only have 8 years. Even if I did all Marriott stays from now to get stay-based MR Plat by August I'd still only have 9 years... so close yet so far...
Old May 10, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by paolo64
Your 24
As we know it shifts from 75 nights to 100 plus 20K ( and the 100 requirement kicks in August 1st.) What happens in the event that one qualifies before August 1st, under the old rules? Your 24 is valid for the remainder of this year and all of 2019? Or if by 31st December , only counting SPG nights, it's valid for 2019. I'm a bit confused about this.
As for the changes with LTPP, personally I'm glad ( and much more likely to stick with the program) but I believe there's more than a few SPG Golds who would rightfully consider they got a raw deal relative to their Marriott counterparts.
Sorry, no. Answered by William in the other wiki.

A11. Will those who meet either the 75 or 100 night criteria in 2018 still be eligible for the Your24 & Ambassador benefit, respectively, for the remainder of 2018 and for the 2019 year even if they don't achieve the new $20K spend requirement? If so, what is the deadline for meeting these criteria - August 1 or December 31?
Any members that stay 100 nights at legacy SPG brands or 100 nights plus have $20,000 USD in eligible spend, across all 29 brands by year-end 2018, will retain their Ambassador for all of 2019. Your24 will remain a benefit of SPG Platinum 75-night members through July, after which the Your24 benefit will only be available to Platinum Premier with Ambassador members. We will continue to honor the existing SPG stay-based thresholds for all levels through year-end 2018 for stays made at legacy-SPG brands/hotels. <added by Starwood Lurker 26Apr18>
Old May 10, 2018, 8:13 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I thought I understood that combined SPG & MAR nights would count toward the 750 required for LTPP until The Points Guy confused me with his assertion that the nights had to be in a single program.

And now I am further confused by “If
you’ve spent 750+ nights at Starwood hotels, well above the SPG Lifetime Platinum requirements, you will now also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. If you’re short of that threshold, you’ll have the rest of the year to get there, and nights across the entire 29-brand portfolio of properties will count toward it.”

Isn’t that a contradiction?

🤔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.