Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by lallied
Can I clarify?

if have 10 years or more platinum in Marriott OR 10 years or more SPG. PLUS 750 stays in EITHER Marriott or SPG (providing the total 750 or more) does that qualify you for LTPP?

or does it have to be 10 years SPG plus 750 SPG nights only?

(the wiki says that but some posts and blogs say cant be combined but they may mean can add years , or points?)
I called in and asked the platinum desk who are being inundated with these questions. It seems until August it would have to be either or obviously - in other words you would be told you had LTPP if you were SPG LTP plus had 750 nights SPG.

however in August they are combined and the merged / single account would then show 10 years or more platinum and total of[ SPG+MR ] nights. And provided THEY were 750 or more by 31 DEC 2018, would also = LTPP.

Which fits with wording on the FAQ and blogs. Could have been more clearly written.
SF1K likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:42 pm

I keep referring to this in the members.marriot page FAQs....... but some of the main splash page language has gone away in the last few hours..... so now I am confused!

I am Lifetime PLAT in SPG with 690 nights. And I have about 150 Marriott nights. SO I am assuming/hoping that my 2 sets of nights are combined to push me over 750 nights.

In August, we’ll have three Lifetime Elite tiers, each with its own nights and Elite tenure thresholds. Once you achieve a Lifetime Elite tier, you’ll never go below it, and your points will never expire. If you have previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, we will honor that Lifetime Elite status in the new program (see below). In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG.

Originally Posted by mk89103
If the language is "years qualifying" then you'd seem to be in the clear. If it's "years actually as" or similar then it could be ambiguous.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:45 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not sure where the ambiguity is? I will re-qual for SPG Plat in July, that's 9 Plat years. I will get MR Plat by the end of the year (assuming 75 nights, but waiting to hear if it 50, though I doubt it). My Ambassador confirmed that will get me to LTPP.
If Ambassador confirmed, that's great news.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have felt Marriott has been more than fair during this process .kudos to them . this is how hospitality is done .

I stayed at Mandarin Oriental Bangkok last night but am moving to PA tonight .Marriott wants my LTP 750+ business still so I will give it to them .next week Sheraton Edinburgh now over WAS .
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I get a bit of masochistic pride knowing I will now be one of the biggest "lifetime losers", as going into 2019 I will have ~1,050 nights combined (~850 SPG), an equivalent conversion of about 6MM Marriott points...and 9 years of SPG Plat status

Can anyone top that?
If you qualify for Platinum BOTH in SPG and MR this year, you should have a combined 10 years, no?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I am in the mid 600 range. I am also thinking if I should do a mattress run. It's kind of expensive doing one for 100 nights... Wished that they didn't do a mid-year switch. An extra year would really ease things for me.
I apologize if I have missed this in another post or in another thread: I am a MR LTG (which will convert to LTP in August) and to get to LTPP by year end would be a significant effort. By my read, the difference in LTP and LTPP are (i) additional bonus miles, (ii) additional 5 Nights Suite Upgrades, and (iii) 48 hour room availability guarantee. The value of these benefits is an individual preference. Have I missed anything?

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; May 9, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by lallied
I called in and asked the platinum desk who are being inundated with these questions. It seems until August it would have to be either or obviously - in other words you would be told you had LTPP if you were SPG LTP plus had 750 nights SPG.

however in August they are combined and the merged / single account would then show 10 years or more platinum and total of[ SPG+MR ] nights. And provided THEY were 750 or more by 31 DEC 2018, would also = LTPP.

Which fits with wording on the FAQ and blogs. Could have been more clearly written.
This makes total sense. It’s kind of how I understand it as well but your explanation makes it very clear!
Old May 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

If I read correctly, a Lifetime Platinum member will NOT get any SNA annually if member does not stay at least 50 nights a year. Other Plat benefits apply, but not SNAs.

Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I apologize if I have missed this in another post or in another thread: I am a MR LTG and to get to LTP by year end would be a significant effort. By my read, the difference in LTP and LTPP are (i) additional bonus miles, (ii) additional 5 Nights Suite Upgrades, and (iii) 48 hour room availability guarantee. The value of these benefits is an individual preference. Have I missed anything?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
If I read correctly, a Lifetime Platinum member will NOT get any SNA annually if member does not stay at least 50 nights a year. Other Plat benefits apply, but not SNAs.
I also believe no SNAs unless actually staying 50 and then 75 nights respectively.

The one thing no one knows is if Upgrades at check-in will be prioritized according to the different Platinum levels.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
If you qualify for Platinum BOTH in SPG and MR this year, you should have a combined 10 years, no?
made the post before I knew a MR Plat year would count ��
Old May 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Kudos to Mr. Flueck and the Marriott team for listening to the concerns of its loyal members. This instills confidence and separates Marriott from many Airlines who post-mergers did the exact opposite. It is this sort of action that cements long term loyalty. You have a fan in me and that should result in my continued loyalty throughout the years. I'm sure I'm not alone. Thank you.
Canada101 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

I don't think we'll ever know publicly. IIRC, one of the lurkers once wrote it's "proprietary".

Originally Posted by SF1K
The one thing no one knows is if Upgrades at check-in will be prioritized according to the different Platinum levels.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:18 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by SF1K

I also believe no SNAs unless actually staying 50 and then 75 nights respectively.

Under the current Marriott system, their Platinum and secret level Platinum Elite do not show differences on computer screen according to the Marriott Plat Elite forum. I think Starwood hotels are now migrating to the Marriott system (and not the reverse). If no one uses Suite Night Awards, probably the guy with ambassador get first take on the limited number of suites.

I am very confident that those Suite Night Awards come from our SPG concept. This means, if you didn't stay 50/75 nights, you're not getting any. That's why there is a * next to the benefit list. But if you stay 75 nights, you are already Annual-qualifying Platinum Premier Elite that is more powerful than the Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite because of those ace cards ( Suite Night Awards Certs).
Old May 9, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Under the current Marriott system, their Platinum and secret level Platinum Elite do not show differences on computer screen according to the Marriott Plat Elite forum. I think Starwood hotels are now migrating to the Marriott system (and not the reverse). If no one uses Suite Night Awards, probably the guy with ambassador get first take on the limited number of suites.

I am very confident that those Suite Night Awards come from our SPG concept. This means, if you didn't stay 50/75 nights, you're not getting any. That's why there is a * next to the benefit list. But if you stay 75 nights, you are already Annual-qualifying Platinum Premier Elite that is more powerful than the Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite because of those ace cards ( Suite Night Awards Certs).
It's confirmed you MUST stay 50 or 75 nights each year to get the suite night awards.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Don't forget that you'll also need 10 years of Platinum status.
Got that...... this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.