Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Thanks Marriott! Great to see that you're listening to your customers.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
So right now I have the following:

- 740 lifetime Marriott nights.
- 140 lifetime Starwood nights.
- 1.75 million lifetime Marriott points.
- Probably around 500,000 lifetime Starwood points, majority from credit card.
- About 7 years (?) of Marriott Platinum, plus another 10+ as Marriott Gold
- Three or four years of SPG Platinum, plus another 10+ as Starwood Gold

Am I LTPP right now? Or do I need to reach 2MM Marriott to be safe?

Crossing 750 Marriott by July will happen naturally with planned stays. Crossing 2MM would take a little cajoling of points, transfers through my wife, etc. But would be doable...
I read it as point requirements dropped. Just need 750 nights in either or combined and a combined 10 years Platinum with a possible duplicate year or 2 across both Programs as Platinum.

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by adunker
Current SPG Plat members with 750 nights and current Marriot members with 750+ nights but not 2 million + points can now qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier (if you have 10+ years of elite status).

Source Source 2
10+ years Platinum status.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Incorrect - 750 nights MR+SPG combined plus 10 years platinum will get you LTPP in 2019 as an one-time exception. See the FAQ I posted upstream.
Ok, I stand corrected I guess!

I was simply quoting (and interpreting) thepointsguy's wording.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Easier and probably cheaper than booking 3 rooms is just doing meetings to get over the 750 threshold, correct? Assuming nights will be combined from both programs, that's going to be the easiest method for folks in both programs to reach the 750 night milestone.
Thats a good idea. Do 10 meetings if someone is short 100 nights.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Incorrect - 750 nights MR+SPG combined plus 10 years platinum will get you LTPP in 2019 as an one-time exception. See the FAQ I posted upstream.
I really hope you're correct on this. It was my anticipation that 750 nights would be required when the merger was announced and so I made sure that I was over 750 nights across both programs, having already had SPGLTP in the legacy SPG program.

So currently SPG LT Platinum - 683 Nights
Marriott - 76

I'm still concerned because the Pointsguy does state:

"It’s important to note that this new qualification method is still based on activity with a single program, though it is available through the end of 2018"

Total 761. So hoping for New Program Platinum Premier.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Thanks Marriott! Great to see that you're listening to your customers.
Yes Thank Marriott as always you are Superstar at Customer Service.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SF1K
I really hope you're correct on this. It was my anticipation that 750 nights would be required when the merger was announced and so I made sure that I was over 750 nights across both programs, having already had SPGLTP in the legacy SPG program.

So currently SPG LT Platinum - 683 Nights
Marriott - 76

Total 761. So hoping for New Program Platinum Premier.
You and me both, since I'm in the same boat. Status won't change until January 2019, but better late than never.

And yes, in this case thepointsguy is wrong. FAQ from Marriott is fairly prescriptive, and I've posted the FAQ on the wikipost above.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not sure if I saw this - if it's 750 nights combined, 9 years SPG Plat, 1 year Marriott Plat - will that cut it?
Old May 9, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not sure if I saw this - if it's 750 nights combined, 9 years SPG Plat, 1 year Marriott Plat - will that cut it?
Yes you are in. Welcome to the exclusive Club.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes you are in. Welcome to the exclusive Club.
Ha. Fortunately I can spend away to CC nights and do meetings to MR Plat (vs. BiB), definitely easier to rack up those nights w/Marriott as we all know
Old May 9, 2018, 12:04 pm

I would appreciate someone's advice/help here: At the end of 2018, I will have 9 platinum years with SPG (and qualified for the 10th, not that it matters) and a total of around 600 lifetime nights (currently at 570). Given this new change, I'm thinking whether it may make sense to try to get to the Lifetime Premier Platinum Status - but I'm not exactly sure what I'll need to do and by when. I have Marriott Platinum right now, but it's the matched status, so I doubt that counts towards Lifetime status (if it does which I don't think, I'd already have 10 years) - if it doesn't count, I'll need to qualify for Marriott Platinum this year + get about 150 additional nights (to get to the 750) in both programs to it the qualification criteria for lifetime premier platinum. Now, a I missing anything? Do I need to achieve this by the end of August or end of December? Appreciate any advice.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
From the FAQ:

Looks like they are doing a 1 time only LT Platinum Premier offer for 2018. ^^

Yes - very accurate summary.
Could not find the 3rd option(combined) confirmation anywhere. I do have by the end of the year more than 900 nights combined(if needed can do 750+ solely with MR) and currently 6 years SPG Platinum and 3 years MR Platinum. By the end of the year I could easily make 7 years as SPG Platinum and 4 years as MR Platinum(before August 1st). So, I might get LTPPE if combined nights and Platinum years be 750+ / 10?
Old May 9, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by honflyer
I would appreciate someone's advice/help here: At the end of 2018, I will have 9 platinum years with SPG (and qualified for the 10th, not that it matters) and a total of around 600 lifetime nights (currently at 570). Given this new change, I'm thinking whether it may make sense to try to get to the Lifetime Premier Platinum Status - but I'm not exactly sure what I'll need to do and by when. I have Marriott Platinum right now, but it's the matched status, so I doubt that counts towards Lifetime status (if it does which I don't think, I'd already have 10 years) - if it doesn't count, I'll need to qualify for Marriott Platinum this year + get about 150 additional nights (to get to the 750) in both programs to it the qualification criteria for lifetime premier platinum. Now, a I missing anything? Do I need to achieve this by the end of August or end of December? Appreciate any advice.
You will need an additional 150 nights by end of 12/31/18, assuming you'll requalify for 1 more year of platinum (well, with 150 nights, you'll even get Ambassador with sufficient spend).
Old May 9, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
You and me both, since I'm in the same boat. Status won't change until January 2019, but better late than never.

And yes, in this case thepointsguy is wrong. FAQ from Marriott is fairly prescriptive, and I've posted the FAQ on the wikipost above.
Yeah, looks like thepointsguy is wrong. Starwood Lurker in the program merger sticky master also indicates combining counts for LTPP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.