Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Are you trying to complete 25 stays before August 1st 2018?

Old May 5, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Trying to assess the general feeling of Starwood's loyalists.

With the changes announced are you rushing to qualify to Platinum using stays this year? Or if you were aiming for 50+ nights regardless...does it change your hotel-status plans at all? Will you be adding nights at Marriott properties to the mix?

(I had no plans to achieve status with Starriott this year, but after finding well priced properties that work with my plans I'm going for the 25 stays before August 1st)
Old May 5, 2018, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure I qualify as a Starwood loyalist, but I was going to requal this year via Starwood stays. Now, with nights counting from both programs, I'll hit 50 the end of May. My only issue is whether to go for 75 and Plat Premier, or freeelance the rest of the year.

I know there's lots of complaints about the program merge around here, but it will make requalification considerably easier for me.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am attaining SPG Plat before 8/1. Taking no chances.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've realised that the double elite credit promotion is almost worthless, since the year won't count for LTP unless you qualify the normal way.

I mostly trust that the 25 stays in 2018 for Plat will be honoured. Still very confused about how they are going to keep track if points earning, etc. will presumably be happening within Marriott Rewards.

But I'm thinking of squeezing in 50 nights before August, taking the free night certificate right away, then hoping that the new Marriott gives me the 5 SNAs as well.

As it has been since the merger, nights at Marriott are mostly wasted. I will save one or two Travel Package certs to give me a 7 or 14 night headstart on 2019.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm debating whether to aim for 50 Starwood nights and the ten SPG SNAs, although it's unlikely that I can do this naturally before August. I have both SPG LTP and MR LTP and should easily qualify for PP with AMB in the combined program, hopefully by August 1 if there aren't any surprises about how spend is counted. This is assuming that I can collect not only the ten SPG SNAs by the end of the year but also both increments of five SNAs in the combined program using Marriott nights (in my case, it will work out to be before August 1 on the Marriott side, although I really don't really care when the SNAs are credited to my account in that I haven't started to use the ten I earned at the end of last year from SPG).

I need to read the rules more carefully about old (earned this year from Starwood nights only) and new (combined program) SNAs; if it's not worthwhile/possible for me to do the 50 Starwood nights later in the year and still earn those SNAs, I'll shift as much as possible to Hyatt since otherwise I won't benefit from additional Starwood stays beyond making good use of the SPG SNAs I earned late last year. I suspect this might also mean that I should avoid combining my accounts in the meantime.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 5, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old May 5, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Will reach 78 nights (with double nights promotion) or 50 actual nights by the end of this month.
(Did some multiple room bookings during the promo period)
Might try reach ambassador as I still have few more trips planned around August - Dec18
If the next trips wont reach 22 nights, I most likely try Fairmont and Raffles
Old May 5, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure I qualify as a Starwood loyalist, but I was going to requal this year via Starwood stays. Now, with nights counting from both programs, I'll hit 50 the end of May. My only issue is whether to go for 75 and Plat Premier, or freeelance the rest of the year.

I know there's lots of complaints about the program merge around here, but it will make requalification considerably easier for me.
The upgrade priority (if any) for PLT and PP is still not clear.
Although I tend to believe PP will have some advantage.

With the requalification after merging, I guess the loss of stay based qualification and multiple rooms nights credits does affect some members.
For me, with multiple rooms night credis, I can reach 75 easily. Without that feature, I might need some “mattress runs” to get 75 nights. Or stop at 50 nights and use other chains hotel for the remaining nights
Old May 5, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am attaining SPG Plat before 8/1. Taking no chances.
I think they made it clear you will have until the end of the year to make SPG Plat. But if you can pull it off, then all the better. What I would watch out of is any glitches if you merge your accounts before you reach your goal.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm debating whether to aim for 50 Starwood nights and the ten SPG SNAs, although it's unlikely that I can do this naturally before August. I have both SPG LTP and MR LTP and should easily qualify for PP with AMB in the combined program, hopefully by August 1 if there aren't any surprises about how spend is counted. This is assuming that I can collect not only the ten SPG SNAs by the end of the year but also both increments of five SNAs in the combined program using Marriott nights (in my case, it will work out to be before August 1 on the Marriott side, although I really don't really care when the SNAs are credited to my account in that I haven't started to use the ten I earned at the end of last year from SPG).
I need to read the rules more carefully about old (earned this year from Starwood nights only) and new (combined program) SNAs; if it's not worthwhile/possible for me to do the 50 Starwood nights later in the year and still earn those SNAs, I'll shift as much as possible to Hyatt since otherwise I won't benefit from additional Starwood stays beyond making good use of the SPG SNAs I earned late last year. I suspect this might also mean that I should avoid combining my accounts in the meantime.
Watch the future announcements closely. I haven't seen anything that allows you to earn SNAs in SPG AND in MPG. If you have 10 when you merge accounts that will probably top off your earnings in MPG.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:49 pm

Wait a minute, have I got this wrong? I was under the impression that if a SPG member completes 25 stays within calendar 2018 (i.e. by 31 Dec 2018), then his Platinum status is assured until February 2020 in the new Marriott world. Am I wrong on that assumption? If not, why should there be a rush to complete the 25 stays by 8/1/2018 as the OP (and others) suggest? What am I not getting?
Old May 5, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
Wait a minute, have I got this wrong? I was under the impression that if a SPG member completes 25 stays within calendar 2018 (i.e. by 31 Dec 2018), then his Platinum status is assured until February 2020 in the new Marriott world. Am I wrong on that assumption? If not, why should there be a rush to complete the 25 stays by 8/1/2018 as the OP (and others) suggest? What am I not getting?
In my view, part paranoia and part experience. The April announcement was far from complete or precise. There are a lot of changes to still be worked out. Scrambling based upon what was said keeps us distracted from the other issues that are now starting to surface. To me, a big red flag is we will be asked to merge our accounts. I expect there will be consequences to doing this and we will need to decide if the loses outweigh the gains. Until they publish the complete T&Cs we are just guessing.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
The upgrade priority (if any) for PLT and PP is still not clear.
Although I tend to believe PP will have some advantage.
Just speculating, but I would guess very similar to how it works now between Marriott Gold and Plat, with properties having discretion how they dole out upgrades.

Wait a minute, have I got this wrong? I was under the impression that if a SPG member completes 25 stays within calendar 2018 (i.e. by 31 Dec 2018), then his Platinum status is assured until February 2020 in the new Marriott world.
ETA: Thanks for clearing this up.

Last edited by Kacee; May 6, 2018 at 2:23 am
Old May 5, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

From what I understood if we're not Platinum (or whatever) by August 1st then our status would depend on the number of nights completed by Dec 31st. My assumption is based on the emphasis they made on how you could combine both Starwood and Marriott nights by the end of the year.

Besides, will they keep tracking stays after August 1st? Hyatt did away with them when they made the switch.

I can see how this could get problematic if in December you're claiming you had 25+ stays but some of them occurred after the August 1st and the Marriott website is the one doing the counting.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I think they made it clear you will have until the end of the year to make SPG Plat. But if you can pull it off, then all the better. What I would watch out of is any glitches if you merge your accounts before you reach your goal.
This is good to know! However, I was also thinking about doing some mattress runs to achieve Plat with stays before August.

Planing out about 30 stays for the entire year through the SPG program (plus about 10 through Marriott), only to have it all crammed up is, to say the least, not too ideal. My question is two-folds:

1. If I do decide to get the 30-40 stays spread out the entire year, do we still re-qualify under the old rules (i.e. 25 stays)?
2. When I hit 50 nights by the end of this year, do we get awarded the 10 SNA's under the old rules or 5 SNA's under the new one?
Old May 5, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
This is good to know! However, I was also thinking about doing some mattress runs to achieve Plat with stays before August.

Planing out about 30 stays for the entire year through the SPG program (plus about 10 through Marriott), only to have it all crammed up is, to say the least, not too ideal. My question is two-folds:

1. If I do decide to get the 30-40 stays spread out the entire year, do we still re-qualify under the old rules (i.e. 25 stays)?
2. When I hit 50 nights by the end of this year, do we get awarded the 10 SNA's under the old rules or 5 SNA's under the new one?
1. If you plan to qualify based on stay (old SPG rules) then all the stays must be done in legacy SPG hotels.
2. Again if you earn your 50 nights using SPG rules and stay exclusively at legacy SPG brands, then you get your 10 SNAs

One point to note :
- While the faq states this below :
In August, we’ll notify you when you can combine your accounts. We’ll combine your Rewards and SPG Elite Night Credits from this year and count them toward a singular Elite status recognized equally across all hotels. Elite tiers will be achieved through qualifying nights. However, throughout 2018 we will continue to honor Elite achievement via stays at SPG hotels that occur in 2018. Learn more about Elite status qualification and benefits at our Member Benefits page.
you might not get multiple room stays/nights credit after 1 Aug 2018
according to : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1904261

Question no 2
Annual elite status (how to earn, benefits, duration, etc.) starting in August 2018
2. Will night credit still be earned for booking up to 3 rooms?
Members will earn points for up to 3 rooms and will earn Elite Night credit for their personal room. <added by Starwood Lurker 23Apr18>

(Hope Lurkers could clarify if multiple rooms stays/night credit still can be earned or not after Aug if member stays at SPG legacy brands)
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.