Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lincoln841
Proof! Had to wait until my 5th post to post a photo!
I have a similar balance as lincoln841 on SPG due to amex business spending. I am also annoyed that we lose 33% getting 2 Marriott points instead of 3, but I still think its the best deal. I also get 1.5 points on United Club card but those miles are only useable for United. Unless I am missing something I still dont see a better place to put the credit card spend to get points. For our business it pays for nearly all business travel and we do a TON internationally. SPG+Marriott means there is a top hotel I can get for free in nearly every city in the world.

The others things I use frequently that I am unclear about is the ability to book higher category rooms on SPG with points by calling (cant do that on Marriott), and the ability to pay Folio with points at some hotels which I dont think is an option at any Marriott.

Last edited by bocaEXP; May 11, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old May 11, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by stant
i transferred 330,000 starpoints last summer with a similar deal. Have about 200,000 starpoints right now that I'll transfer under the current bonus, even though I have a million of so AA miles in my account right now. Business class tickets to europe are a FAR better value for me than hotel nights ever will be.
Absolutely. I'll be transferring around 1/3 of my Starpoints before the 31st. Should have 1,562,500 new AA miles to use. Whenever we fly it's usually over 4 hour flights so we like to fly at least business if not first. We used AA miles for our first class tickets to fly to Venice at the end of this month. Sure makes traveling nicer.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:54 pm

I'm not making any final decisions until I see the final program. Specifically I want to know about access to upgraded rooms with points and when peak, regular, and non-peak award levels will be available.

But my gut is our Amex SPG spend will decline significantly going forward. The majority of SPG redemptions are category 7. If it takes $50k in Amex spending to get a free night (100k points) the alternative is $1k on a cash back card. I feel in most cases I can do better with cash booking VRBO (traveling as a family) or Citi 4th night free. Example would be recent family trip to Punta Mita. We had three rooms at the St Regis for five nights. Under the new earning structure the alternative would be $12k cash to book for 5 nights. My opinion is the houses/condos within the community offer a more attractive option for a family in the $2,000/night range.

There'll still be a desire to accumulate points. Opportunities will exist to maximize during peak times (assuming no black out dates remains). But sitting on 4.5 million SPG points now, and with around 10 million various airlines miles or Chase UR points, there's just no reason to keep acquiring them in mass. Bonus categories will stay on SPG, but if it ends up being $50k in spend for one free category 7 night most of the time, probably not a lot else remain spent on the card.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM
This is exactly how I feel and want to transfer my 240,000 points to an airline program or two. I have accounts with AF(which I like a lot though it's changing also), UA and Alaska. Any recommendations? Should I split the amount between two airline programs? Thanks for any advice..I've been out of the loop regarding all of this lately.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jac747
This is exactly how I feel and want to transfer my 240,000 points to an airline program or two. I have accounts with AF(which I like a lot though it's changing also), UA and Alaska. Any recommendations? Should I split the amount between two airline programs? Thanks for any advice..I've been out of the loop regarding all of this lately.
transfers to UA and Alaska will still exist. You may get a better deal actually transferring to Marriott 1:3, then redeeming a a night and flight. 90k spg--> 270k Marriott --> 120k Alaska miles + 1-5 category hotel. vs. 90k SPG -->110k Alaska
Old May 21, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Originally Posted by BuBu4
transfers to UA and Alaska will still exist. You may get a better deal actually transferring to Marriott 1:3, then redeeming a a night and flight. 90k spg--> 270k Marriott --> 120k Alaska miles + 1-5 category hotel. vs. 90k SPG -->110k Alaska
Before you make a move on the Marriott travel packages, I would look at the below article on the travel packages and speculation on August implications....

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...age-arbitrage/
Old May 21, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I wouldn't make any transfers unless you have a short term use for them. Airline transfers are not going away. Once you transfer to an airline program, they are generally stuck there.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm not interested in any travel packages or hotel nights, only miles for int'l biz travel. I don't want to lose out on the SPG bonuses when transferring points to miles, and would, ideally, like to transfer them to AF and one other program.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:22 am

I'm not interested in any travel packages or hotel nights, only miles for int'l biz travel. I don't want to lose out on the SPG bonuses when transferring points to miles, and would, ideally, like to transfer them to AF and one other program.
​​you get 10k more miles going through marriott program if u plan on transferring 90k spg points to airlines...
the hotel certs is just extra.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Nothing is changing with the transfer ratio. You still get an extra 5,000 miles for transferring 60,000 (20,000 SPG) points.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mrfussion
I'm not making any final decisions until I see the final program. Specifically I want to know about access to upgraded rooms with points and when peak, regular, and non-peak award levels will be available.

But my gut is our Amex SPG spend will decline significantly going forward. The majority of SPG redemptions are category 7. If it takes $50k in Amex spending to get a free night (100k points) the alternative is $1k on a cash back card. I feel in most cases I can do better with cash booking VRBO (traveling as a family) or Citi 4th night free. Example would be recent family trip to Punta Mita. We had three rooms at the St Regis for five nights. Under the new earning structure the alternative would be $12k cash to book for 5 nights. My opinion is the houses/condos within the community offer a more attractive option for a family in the $2,000/night range.

There'll still be a desire to accumulate points. Opportunities will exist to maximize during peak times (assuming no black out dates remains). But sitting on 4.5 million SPG points now, and with around 10 million various airlines miles or Chase UR points, there's just no reason to keep acquiring them in mass. Bonus categories will stay on SPG, but if it ends up being $50k in spend for one free category 7 night most of the time, probably not a lot else remain spent on the card.
Uh...... I would be burning like crazy with those balances. I hoard myself as a single guy I have 300k SPG and about 1.5 million miles in various FF programs. I have too many probably, but I guess although I feel rich with those balances, I would be more rich if I would use them and less cash.

Burn baby. Get down to about 1 million SPG and 4-5 million FF miles where you can use to take a couple family trips in first class a year.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by schley
<snip> I would be more rich if I would use them and less cash.
Then why don't you?

Regards
Old May 24, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked at the MATH? You can just throw away the hotel cert or used it to book for other people. But you will still get 10K MORE miles going thru the Marriott route.

Are you saying you would rather get 10K LESS miles even if you dont care for the "Freebie" that is thrown in and that you can give to someone as a nice gift?

Originally Posted by BuBu4
​​you get 10k more miles going through marriott program if u plan on transferring 90k spg points to airlines...
the hotel certs is just extra.
Bingo.
T'is the time folks need to pay attention to the devil of details instead of just making emotional decision and actually lose out on that.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by scubadu
Then why don't you?

Regards
I have to chase status miles and nights in most cases but I am talking about resisting buying miles points mostly. It isn’t in redemptions vs cash it is stopping the buying when offered at incentive .
Old May 25, 2018, 8:43 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
I transferred 100K miles to AA, given their promotion of 25% bonus miles (stackable on top of SPG's 25% bonus). This nets about 155K AA miles. This AA promotion ends May 31.

I also ordered a 7 night cat 1-5 Travel Package via Marriott, crediting the 120K miles to AS. (MR Travel Packages are excluded from the AA promotion).

I still am holding sizeable balances in both MR and SPG programs, and will wait to understand the rules of the new program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.