Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
schley, you separated/divorced? i'm sorry to hear that. hang in there buddy.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aero0729
Converting to Marriott Reward points are actually a great deal! Nothing to lose. There are almost no situations imagineable in which 1 starpoint is worth more than 3 Marriott rewards points.

This merger is a HUGE win for SPG customers since they now have access to thousands more hotels and a program that has decent earn and burn.

I have a stay at the Dolphin tonight again in Disney and its shocking how crappy SPG is:

$230 Spend x3 = 690 points + 250 point promo so 940 points. Forfeit check in bonus for breakfast
YUCK!
Marriott would be 230 x 15 = 3450 + 500 (check in bonus) 3950 +Promo = 4700

So yeah.. its 5x more Marriott points in some cases and the points are usually 2.5 x less vauable... Marriott has awesome earn and burn.

Sucks we are losing the check in bonus (have to trade for breakfast) once the new program starts but happy to get resort breakfast -- I think they met us in the middle there.
Um, no. This just means that SPG customers got shafted with the 3:1 conversion ratio that should've been 5:1. Between that and not matching SPG LTP w/750+ nights to LTPP (and 2MM points, but its pretty hard to get 750 SPG nights without 2MM/3 points), I have a hard time seeing this as a win. If Marriott doesn't fix the LTPP issue, I'm off to Hyatt or Hilton. You can keep your thousands of Courtyards and Fairfield Inns that I have no intention of ever staying in. I really only stay in major cities anyway. There are a lot fewer Ritz-Carlton's, and quite frankly if I'm going to pay those kinds of rates, I'd rather stay at a St. Regis anyway.
remymartin likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by aero0729
Converting to Marriott Reward points are actually a great deal! Nothing to lose. There are almost no situations imagineable in which 1 starpoint is worth more than 3 Marriott rewards points.

A whole level of luxury hotels that Marriott doesn't have immediately comes to mind. I would agree, however, that historically Marriott has offered the better free nights per $ spent in commodity business hotels. That's been the central difference between the two programmes: Marriott focused on offering what was effectively a higher rebate rate (but lower than hotels.com), with SPG instead focusing on unique experiences and recognition. This is also the root of many of the disagreements we've been seeing between members of the two legacy programmes. It looks like Marriott might have decided that the Starwood model delivers better economics - potentially better loyalty at a lower cost. Let's see how it's implemented though.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
I have a little over 3 mil Starpoints and 500,000 Marriott points. Not sure what I am going to book before Aug. but I do have a question. Does anyone know what the new program will be after August regarding transferring points to a family member living at the same address? Will it be Starwoods that you can transfer as many points as you want or Marriotts where you can only transfer 50,000 points a year except for an award?

Last edited by Wisdom; May 2, 2018 at 8:20 am Reason: grammer
Old May 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I plan to spend my balance down to near zero prior to August 1. If it turns out I can get better deals in August, I’ll just rebook or call in to ask for the difference in points to be refunded to my account. It’s a free option; no reason not to.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I transferred 110K points to JL (down payment on a couple more showers in the sky), am planning to do some speculative bookings before August 1 with the rest.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by christianj
I

In the end I think Marriott will loose a ton of Starwood elites due to a number of reasons. For me it boils down to them doling out Lifetime Platinum Premier to their members.
I think most loyal Starwood members share your feelings. Lets hope Marriott does something about this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
no standard awards to book in these hotels come August
remember SPG upgrade awards for both rooms and suites, might help

they havent addressed the top SPG award hotels with no entry rooms
Old May 2, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by r415
... not matching SPG LTP w/750+ nights to LTPP (and 2MM points, but its pretty hard to get 750 SPG nights without 2MM/3 points), I have a hard time seeing this as a win. If Marriott doesn't fix the LTPP issue, I'm off to Hyatt or Hilton. You can keep your thousands of Courtyards and Fairfield Inns that I have no intention of ever staying in. I really only stay in major cities anyway. There are a lot fewer Ritz-Carlton's, and quite frankly if I'm going to pay those kinds of rates, I'd rather stay at a St. Regis anyway.

They really drop the ball on the LTPP issue.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Wisdom
I have a little over 3 mil Starpoints and 500,000 Marriott points. Not sure what I am going to book before Aug. but I do have a question. Does anyone know what the new program will be after August regarding transferring points to a family member living at the same address? Will it be Starwoods that you can transfer as many points as you want or Marriotts where you can only transfer 50,000 points a year except for an award?
According to the wiki on the merger thread it'll be the 50k limit.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:40 pm

AA was giving 25% more points plus the 25% from spg transfer would give you 50% more points which will most end soon. That's a good deal?
Old May 7, 2018, 10:18 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I burned some off on a 7 night marriott hotel and flights award package (to Alaska) and have topped off my Aeroplan and AAdvantage accounts (taking into account the SPG 5000 + 25% bonuses for each) to allow for an instant redemption on overseas award. We are still sitting on over 320,000 SPG's in the household.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by daywalkerr
AA was giving 25% more points plus the 25% from spg transfer would give you 50% more points which will most end soon. That's a good deal?
I think it's a good deal. I'll be moving quite a bit over before May 31st.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am cashing in and leaving Marriott is dead to me, they choose how they treat SPG LTP, I choose my response, which has a finger in it.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by daywalkerr
i transferred 330,000 starpoints last summer with a similar deal. Have about 200,000 starpoints right now that I'll transfer under the current bonus, even though I have a million of so AA miles in my account right now. Business class tickets to europe are a FAR better value for me than hotel nights ever will be.
mas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.