Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Old May 25, 18, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yrs View Post
I transferred 100K miles to AA, given their promotion of 25% bonus miles (stackable on top of SPG's 25% bonus). This nets about 155K AA miles. This AA promotion ends May 31.

I also ordered a 7 night cat 1-5 Travel Package via Marriott, crediting the 120K miles to AS. (MR Travel Packages are excluded from the AA promotion).

I still am holding sizeable balances in both MR and SPG programs, and will wait to understand the rules of the new program.
As in 100K x 1.25 x 1.25 = 156.25K, 36.25K more than redeeming a Travel Package with AA the recipient of miles.
So you feel the extra 36K AA miles are worth equal or more than a 7 night cert, when AA miles are pretty easy to obtain when you hop over the Citi forum on FT to read about it.
AS redemption makes sense, for now. Though I am afraid AS is very ripe for a major devaluation as it has been a stand out among the US airline programs when it comes to certain partners redemption charts. I feel like I should be in the burn mode instead of the add mode with the AS program. Burnt 260K last month for a trip to Australia, CX J out QF F back.

Last edited by Happy; May 25, 18 at 6:58 pm
Old May 26, 18, 1:30 am

Programs: DL PM
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks Cledaybuck!
Old May 26, 18, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by yrs View Post
I transferred 100K miles to AA, given their promotion of 25% bonus miles (stackable on top of SPG's 25% bonus). This nets about 155K AA miles. This AA promotion ends May 31.

I also ordered a 7 night cat 1-5 Travel Package via Marriott, crediting the 120K miles to AS. (MR Travel Packages are excluded from the AA promotion).

I still am holding sizeable balances in both MR and SPG programs, and will wait to understand the rules of the new program.
I think there is a rumor of all the certs being cancelled on Aug 1st and a refund of some points back to you. Sounds like a good way transfer points to airlines with a good deal.
Old May 26, 18, 9:56 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
As in 100K x 1.25 x 1.25 = 156.25K, 36.25K more than redeeming a Travel Package with AA the recipient of miles.
So you feel the extra 36K AA miles are worth equal or more than a 7 night cert, when AA miles are pretty easy to obtain when you hop over the Citi forum on FT to read about it.
AS redemption makes sense, for now. Though I am afraid AS is very ripe for a major devaluation as it has been a stand out among the US airline programs when it comes to certain partners redemption charts. I feel like I should be in the burn mode instead of the add mode with the AS program. Burnt 260K last month for a trip to Australia, CX J out QF F back.
In this particular case, Yes. We typically redeem awards for travel to SE Asia and India in particular. Four J tickets at a time. I value AA miles for EY, QR and CX redemption in J. As far as hotel certs are concerned, at this particular time, I have two 7 night certs, two CC anniv. certs and a large number of MR points to cover hotel stays for our next trip. In the remote event that I run out of those, the cash rate at many Marriotts in that region is low enough that I would pay in cash and earn (15 + 7.5 + 6) MR points per $.

In our particular case, this redemption made sense.
Old May 26, 18, 9:57 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by BuBu4 View Post
I think there is a rumor of all the certs being cancelled on Aug 1st and a refund of some points back to you. Sounds like a good way transfer points to airlines with a good deal.

We have an upcoming trip. I am hoping to redeem these for specific hotel reservations before August 1.
Old Jun 3, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by hts View Post
May I ask as to how one acquires 11m SPG points? Convert over to 36m MR points, lol--that's amazing.
My godson has about 8 million points right now and will have a few million more by August. I told him to consider some airline + hotel transfers before those are devalued.
Alaska air one of the better ones.

Last edited by robertw477; Jun 3, 18 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 26, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG plat/Marriott Plat/United Gold
Hey All,

Is anyone in this thread making large purchases of Travel + Air based on the concept that you might get a refund for some/all of the Marriott certificates you have unused/unattached to reservations? I'm thinking of buying 50-100 packages, particularly for United and possibly Alaska.
Old Jul 27, 18, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lincoln841 View Post
Hey All,

Is anyone in this thread making large purchases of Travel + Air based on the concept that you might get a refund for some/all of the Marriott certificates you have unused/unattached to reservations? I'm thinking of buying 50-100 packages, particularly for United and possibly Alaska.
So long as you're ok with the worst case scenarios (in your case):

1 - being stuck with 50-100 7 night certificates for new Cat 1-4, redeemable in 12 months (or a max of 24 months, if extendable).

or

2 - being refunded the residual value (45k MR pts) for each of the packages.

Last edited by RafKa; Jul 27, 18 at 6:50 am