Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott guy - questions about Westin, benefits and expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

OK, as title says, I am 95% Marriott guy, 5% SPG. I have been extremely happy with my SPG stays and branching out to see the other brands in preparation for the merger

I booked at the Westin DFW and saw this review:
Backstop:
This Westin does not offer an Executive Lounge or any Platinum benefits. And they hide this fact. If they said this on their website why would any member stay here? This hotel should not be allowed to be called a Westin.

March 15, 2018
Hello Backstop, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. Our goal is to provide the highest level of hospitality and we regret that we did not meet your full expectation. As you may know, the Executive Lounge is an optional amenity of the Westin brand. While it is currently not a Westin brand standard, please be assured that our leadership team are working to increase ways of providing stellar hospitality for our valued guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Now, the SPG terms and benefits say this:
  • Complimentary health-club, Club-level and Executive-level access.

The benefits don't give a carve out for Westin. Am I missing something? is this semantics? Does the DFW Westin have an executive level club and not an executive lounge, so no access?

I am confused, mainly because I was kinda hoping to grab breakfast there, not so much for cost savings as time savings, but some of both.

Will I have some lounge access and will it have a breakfast offering?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Welcome to the Starwood universe. From my experience not all Westins have club lounges and as the comment from Westin DFW management says, a club lounge is not part of the Westin brand standard. In other words, it's a nice to have not a must have for Westin.

If breakfast is your main preoccupation, you may want to consult this thread on this forum: How Properties are Handling the New SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit.

You'll note that there is an entry for the Westin DFW (although I can't vouch for its currency) that a breakfast buffet is offered to Platinum members in the restaurant. If the breakfast amenity isn't offered at check-in, simply inquire with the associate and let them know you are a Platinum member (99% of the time, from my experience, however, it is offered up immediately).

Hope this information helps.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canada101
Welcome to the Starwood universe. From my experience not all Westins have club lounges and as the comment from Westin DFW management says, a club lounge is not part of the Westin brand standard. In other words, it's a nice to have not a must have for Westin.

If breakfast is your main preoccupation, you may want to consult this thread on this forum: How Properties are Handling the New SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit.

You'll note that there is an entry for the Westin DFW (although I can't vouch for its currency) that a breakfast buffet is offered to Platinum members in the restaurant. If the breakfast amenity isn't offered at check-in, simply inquire with the associate and let them know you are a Platinum member (99% of the time, from my experience, however, it is offered up immediately).

Hope this information helps.
OK, that is close enough. I saw that thread but figured it only applied after August, this is for next week, so i assumed it would be under the standard SPG rules. Although right now, not much is standard, lots of flux.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, that is close enough. I saw that thread but figured it only applied after August, this is for next week, so i assumed it would be under the standard SPG rules. Although right now, not much is standard, lots of flux.
That thread is about how Starwood properties are handling the current Plat breakfast benefit to which you would be entitled since Starwood has matched Marriott status.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The breakfast buffet at the Westin DFW is a full buffet with cooked-to-order eggs. Very nice buffet. As far as Platinum benefits, I've been upgraded to a suite three of the past four stays. The bar has quite a few craft beer offerings from the Dallas/Fort Worth area if you are into craft beer. The food is also quite good, especially for a hotel restaurant/bar. The shuttle to/from DFW airport is also very efficient.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canada101
That thread is about how Starwood properties are handling the current Plat breakfast benefit to which you would be entitled since Starwood has matched Marriott status.

Yes, I see that now, the one guys review was from 2018 and the last entry in that thread was 2016 and I got them confused

Either way, I should be good for this trip - thanks for your help
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
The breakfast buffet at the Westin DFW is a full buffet with cooked-to-order eggs. Very nice buffet. As far as Platinum benefits, I've been upgraded to a suite three of the past four stays. The bar has quite a few craft beer offerings from the Dallas/Fort Worth area if you are into craft beer. The food is also quite good, especially for a hotel restaurant/bar. The shuttle to/from DFW airport is also very efficient.
Good to know, I am alone which means I don't care about a suite - which means I'll get the best one they got LOL
I don't drink, but it is nice to know in case the next time is with co-workers
I will probably eat dinner in the hotel at least 1, maybe 2 nights, so that is very good to know the food is good
I will also be using the shuttle every day to get to the orange line at DFW most likely
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:55 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
I just checked into the Westin DFW (I'm also a Marriott guy--Lifetime Plat, but switched over to SPG last fall after maxing out on the MR promo and haven't looked back since--I so much prefer my Westin stays over full-service Marriotts--about the only thing I miss is the lounge access).

In any event, no concierge/executive room at this property. I also got upgraded to a suite (not that I really care). I was offered breakfast at check in (I'm also SPG Plat of course) but didn't pursue as I always take the points (although I might opt for breakfasts on vaca now that resorts are going to include breakfast for Plats--we'll see).

Basically this post is of no value. I just thought it was timely/interesting that you inquired about a prop that I just checked into 15 mins ago for the first time. Oh, and the planes fly right overhead. I mean, it almost sounds as if they're going to crash into the hotel, so bring earplugs.
JBauer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hts
I'm also a Marriott guy--Lifetime Plat, but switched over to SPG last fall after maxing out on the MR promo and haven't looked back since--I so much prefer my Westin stays over full-service Marriotts--about the only thing I miss is the lounge access.
Curious about this part, as Westin has long been my go-to SPG brand (have stayed in 60 globally, more than any other Starwood brand for me), but I'm guessing I will do more FS Marriotts in the future...why do you prefer the Westin so much more (even without lounges in many of them)?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:22 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
For the most part (I've only stayed at maybe 8-10 Westins in the past 6 months since I switched over from Marriott), my experience has been that the service is better, the properties are more contemporary (have been renovated more recently in a style that appeals to me), I like the green choice point option, and I've had more suite upgrades in 6 months of Starwood than I've had in 10 years as a lifetime platinum at Marriott (and I've never requested a suite--every single one of them has been offered up by front-desk staff without my prompting).

The only downside that I've experienced at the Westins is that most of the ones I've stayed at do not have a club room. I've stayed at probably 4-5 Sheratons the past 6 months too and while I believe many long-time SPG'ers look down on Sheratons, my limited experiences with them has also been very positive (and they also have concierge/club rooms).
Hipplewm likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hts
For the most part (I've only stayed at maybe 8-10 Westins in the past 6 months since I switched over from Marriott), my experience has been that the service is better, the properties are more contemporary (have been renovated more recently in a style that appeals to me), I like the green choice point option, and I've had more suite upgrades in 6 months of Starwood than I've had in 10 years as a lifetime platinum at Marriott (and I've never requested a suite--every single one of them has been offered up by front-desk staff without my prompting).

The only downside that I've experienced at the Westins is that most of the ones I've stayed at do not have a club room. I've stayed at probably 4-5 Sheratons the past 6 months too and while I believe many long-time SPG'ers look down on Sheratons, my limited experiences with them has also been very positive (and they also have concierge/club rooms).
I am essentially doing what you seemed to have started a while ago. When I am by myself, i have basic needs. Especially if i am working, this particular trip is leisure, so I have a specific need, but rarely do I care. Now, when i have my best girl with me, then I want everything smooth, no hiccups and all the bells and whistles to make her stay more enjoyable. I am looking at this as a "test drive" so to speak.

Even if I wanted to change for business travel, I never could. I don't think I have been on a single working job where a SPG hotel was available, sales calls are typically in cities and I can venture, but the bulk of my stay will be at legacy Marriott properties

Originally Posted by hts
Basically this post is of no value. I just thought it was timely/interesting that you inquired about a prop that I just checked into 15 mins ago for the first time. Oh, and the planes fly right overhead. I mean, it almost sounds as if they're going to crash into the hotel, so bring earplugs.
I'll only be sleeping there, but generally not much bothers my ability to sleep. 20+ years in the military, I can sleep standing up at a rock concert if I need to.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yes, I see that now, the one guys review was from 2018 and the last entry in that thread was 2016 and I got them confused

Either way, I should be good for this trip - thanks for your help
That thread was started in 2012 when the benefit was added to the SPG program. It isn’t ‘new’ as in the Marriott combined program. I’ve amended the title to make it more clear.

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012
Hipplewm likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Well, I checked in, upgraded to a standard suite - with a direct line shot of the runway - pretty cool. A few planes landed and they are kinda loud for a few seconds, not enough to bother me. I could see some people not caring for it at all though.

I chose the breakfast over the welcome points - protip for Marriott peeps - if you use the mobile check in - it automatically gives you the points - they have to undo your check in and give you the breakfast at the counter.
Ate dinner in the rest, was pretty good - thanks for the tip @controller1

I went to bed at 7:30 and i didn't hear a single plane land or anything
controller1 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The Westin brand is to my impression inconsistent. Luxury hotels in Europe, APAC and Africa, some nice hotels and so more mediocre places in the US
Old May 7, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I am essentially doing what you seemed to have started a while ago. When I am by myself, i have basic needs. Especially if i am working, this particular trip is leisure, so I have a specific need, but rarely do I care. Now, when i have my best girl with me, then I want everything smooth, no hiccups and all the bells and whistles to make her stay more enjoyable. I am looking at this as a "test drive" so to speak.

Even if I wanted to change for business travel, I never could. I don't think I have been on a single working job where a SPG hotel was available, sales calls are typically in cities and I can venture, but the bulk of my stay will be at legacy Marriott properties

I'll only be sleeping there, but generally not much bothers my ability to sleep. 20+ years in the military, I can sleep standing up at a rock concert if I need to.
Murphy's law....when I am by myself for 2 nights, I get the Presidential suite. When I am with my wife for a week, I get a standard room!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.