Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Program, Endless Inspiration – Preview August Redemption Rates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:54 pm

Top end properties seem to be the deal to be had in August. We just have to see if these properties will release standard rooms to the public, otherwise these aren't really a bargain if you have to pay extra with cash.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Massive jump for -- going from current Cat 3 to Cat 5. This is a rather old hotel ...The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun from 21,000 to 35,000 (+14,000)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bgriff
I'll be curious to see what is happening with more Cat 5 hotels in particular. The NY and Paris charts suggest that a lot of current Cat 5s are going up to the 50K points level, which is quite a painful jump and devaluation. But those are also unusually expensive cities, and maybe some of those hotels were marginal being placed in SPG Cat 5 already. There are a lot of "nicest SPG hotel in town" places in cheaper cities like, say, the Nines in Portland. If those places also tend to jump up to 50K points, then the value for upper-mid-range properties is going to be pretty bad in general. What's happening in Mexico City looks more promising by contrast--the overpriced SPG Cat 6 St Regis is coming down to 50K while the appropriately priced Cat 5 W is remaining about the same, at 35K.

It's nice to see the Westins in NY coming down to 50K, which feels totally appropriate to me, but I had hoped perhaps more SPG Cat 6s would fall in price than seems to actually be the case. It will be interesting to see what happens with London, for example. To judge by NY I'd guess the Great Northern will fall to 50K and everything else will stay 60K or higher. Like NY that's not terribly attractive.

There will be some bargains at certain spots on the chart, but it feels like overall these new Marriott points are worth maybe like 0.6-0.7 cents each in general use, which is definitely less than Marriott points were often worth before. And even still some of the 60K points hotels are somewhat often available for less than $360-$420 per night.

This will even out somewhat for points earned on hotel stays thanks to the higher earning rate, but it's going to be nearly impossible to justify using an SPG/Marriott credit card for non-bonus spend.
Agreed. This is a clear overall devaluation on average making Marriott points worth less than .9 cents each... although it doesn't appear at a glance to be as low as .6. The good news is that from Aug 1 - Dec 31 - the very high end hotels will be on award sale. Get em while they're hot! Sadly, next year the sale is over and we'll be left with Marriott points worth less than .9 cents each. Will need to do a deeper analysis to get into the actual $ amount.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Lots of key omissions from the new chart, like London.

Yes, there are some values here but there are also a lot of average properties bumped to category 6-7, like 50,000 points for most of the average New York properties.

And, as expected, many of the Paris properties are category 7. I'm guessing that will be London, too. Yes, the excellent Renaissance Paris Republique is category 5 and, thus, 5,000 points less per night under the new chart, but if everyone redeems there it will undoubtably be a category 6 or 7 hotel by 2020.

So, yes, by 2020, I expect all of the nice hotels in the big cities and big destinations to be category 7 or 8.

Who cares if the new Marriott program is more "rich" when the points are worth less? Oh yeah, then there are the resort fees and destination fees that have spread well beyond beach properties.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I think the smoke and mirrors decreases we are seeing on the top end for the remainder of the year is getting people excited but the overall implementation looks like it will be a devaluation and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Looks like no one will ever redeem points at the Sheraton TS NYC again. With the new resort fee type fee and the14k increase they will likely see a huge drop off in redemptions. I'm struggling to see why they think the Sheraton TS NYC should be the same price as the Westin TS. I think they were the same price for a while with SPG but that changed...likely due to the rates and the drop off in redemptions.

Paris is being hit as IMHO only the hotels no one will want will see a decrease.

Marriott starting to show their true colors and this is only the beginning! If this is indicative of what is to come for all hotels I will take my business elsewhere and stay with MR/SPG only when it is the best option and I can use my LTP benefits.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Lots of key omissions from the new chart, like London.
ICYMI, this is an example chart, of 5 illustrative redemption destinations. So really not surprising there are “lots of key omissions”. @:-)
Horace and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by RafKa
Also, will these be bookable for 365 days in advance at Cat 7, or only for stays between Aug-Dec 2018?
I thought Marriott only did 350 days or some such? And then half the hotels don't load inventory for six months anyway?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

I'm a typical low Cat user but stay 4-5 times a week. I pay for my nights plus for meals. When the tourists have gone people like me are what keep off the beaten track hotels ticking over till the season picks up. If the price or Category of the hotels we stay at rise yet again this year then we will stop booking with Marriott in the low season.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kyanar
I thought Marriott only did 350 days or some such? And then half the hotels don't load inventory for six months anyway?
My bad: I couldn't remember if it was 365 or 350.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Curious if anyone with history from the current Marriott program can shed more light on how categories have typically been set there? I don't know if it was ever stated officially, but my impression was always that SPG set categories strictly on average daily room rate.

If Marriott puts more of a finger on the scale, charging more for disproportionately popular redemption destinations or other similar adjustments, that would be good to know and could help set parameters for how to use these new points. For example, like how redeeming frequent flyer miles to go to Hawaii is often a disproportionately bad deal because so many people want to use miles to get there, if Marriott does a similar thing with hotels in Paris, then perhaps you just stay elsewhere or pay cash in Paris, but continue to use points in Berlin and Amsterdam, or wherever.

It's hard to say from this limited set but it also seems like there might be some "value-based adjustments" going on. For example, it's hard to explain the huge jump in the Westin Grand Cayman rates (especially since SPG could have just made that hotel a Cat 6 if 60K points was the right price for it) unless Marriott is making a judgement about certain brands or types/quality levels of hotels being forced into certain category levels.

By contrast the jump at the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees is pretty easy to explain and seems not unreasonable: that hotel is a good deal in the current program because the current Marriott award chart doesn't have a high enough category for it. The NY Marriott Marquis was left off the list but it seems likely to make a similar jump, and other top Marriott Cat 9 properties will likely do the same.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
only the hotels no one will want will see a decrease.
I don't save my points to redeem at a limited-service property nor do I suspect most members.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
ICYMI, this is an example chart, of 5 illustrative redemption destinations. So really not surprising there are “lots of key omissions”. @:-)
Yeah, as if the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic is really illustrative. I'd guess that 90% of folks redeeming points in the Dominican Republic go to a beach property, not a city center hotel in the capital. So yes, it's dropping a category but it's not truly illustrative. A better example would have better properties in the U.S. Virgin Islands, including the Marriott on St. Thomas, which is supposedly the number one property for points redemption by Marriott's American customers.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kyanar
50 weeks. If you go out and look at the calendar on marriott.com you can see how far out you may book. At midnight Saturday Eastern time they release the next week of inventory.

All but very few hotels release their inventory on this schedule. The main exception being some conference hotels who may hold back inventory for both sale and redemption while they finalize pending contracts; an example being JW Marriott Orlando who a number of years ago wouldn't release inventory until about 10 months out. Then when these conference hotels do release inventory, there may well be blocks of dates that are unavailable because they are booked (sold out) for conferences or other events or contracts are pending. The only people that would be able to get PAID rooms would be PP or PPA in the new program with their 48 hour guarantee. Many years ago I actually encountered this at JW Marriott Orlando so I stayed at the RC right next door as I didn't want to be among the conference geeks.

If you want and example of available inventory from conference bookings look at the JW Marriott Phoenix for March 2019 using the flexible date search for 1 night. Someone was complaining about being unable to book a 6 award night stay at this hotel, and it was because of the blocks of conference bookings, or potential bookings, taking all inventory on various dates throughout the month.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
This looks fairly reasonable the real question to me is how broadly "peak times" is applied starting next year.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Curious if anyone with history from the current Marriott program can shed more light on how categories have typically been set there? I don't know if it was ever stated officially, but my impression was always that SPG set categories strictly on average daily room rate.

If Marriott puts more of a finger on the scale, charging more for disproportionately popular redemption destinations or other similar adjustments, that would be good to know and could help set parameters for how to use these new points. For example, like how redeeming frequent flyer miles to go to Hawaii is often a disproportionately bad deal because so many people want to use miles to get there, if Marriott does a similar thing with hotels in Paris, then perhaps you just stay elsewhere or pay cash in Paris, but continue to use points in Berlin and Amsterdam, or wherever.

It's hard to say from this limited set but it also seems like there might be some "value-based adjustments" going on. For example, it's hard to explain the huge jump in the Westin Grand Cayman rates (especially since SPG could have just made that hotel a Cat 6 if 60K points was the right price for it) unless Marriott is making a judgement about certain brands or types/quality levels of hotels being forced into certain category levels.
To my knowledge, Marriott has never been transparent about categories. If I recall, Flueck kind of dodged the question of whether properties can demand Marriott put them in a higher category. It's very opaque. However, the general consensus seems to be that the more people who redeem points at a property the higher classification the hotel will have for points redemption.

So, even the Paris Renaissance Republique, which remains an excellent value under the new chart, is unlikely to remain priced lower than other Paris hotels if everyone who was going to redeem points at the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees now redeems points at the Paris Renaissance Republique.

By contrast the jump at the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees is pretty easy to explain and seems not unreasonable: that hotel is a good deal in the current program because the current Marriott award chart doesn't have a high enough category for it. The NY Marriott Marquis was left off the list but it seems likely to make a similar jump, and other top Marriott Cat 9 properties will likely do the same.
Yes, the Paris Marriott Champs Elysees is in a location that most tourists wants to be, but there's no way the quality of the hotel, its service and the amenities are on par with the The Westin Paris--Vendôme, W Paris--Opera or probably any of the Design properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.