Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[Extended] Save 35% when you purchase 5,000+ Starpoints, 19 Apr - 20 Jul 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Extended] Save 35% when you purchase 5,000+ Starpoints, 19 Apr - 20 Jul 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lovetotravel
The extra point/$ shows up as a separate entry. I will show up on your SPG account, not on Amex statement. Check your SPG activity to see if it shows up separately.
Thanks!

Would you know how long this may take to appear?

I actually hadn't checked my AMEX statement yet, but had noticed it from earning activities on my SPG app. Normally, my base SPG AMEX spend total and the additional one point AMEX/SPG bonus are exactly the same, as I only use the card for SPG/Marriott hotel stays + F&B in respective properties. This past statement period - it is off exactly $682.50 (well, $683 based on rounding) from 30K points purchase at 35% off between base and bonus.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any update on the SPG Amex bonus point front? Need to snag mine but if it's not coding for the 2x will throw it on my CSR for the extra 342 UR instead of putting it on the SPG
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I rarely buy points unless I need a few to fill out a large award but it seems like there might be some limited opportunities here due the temporary reductions for top SPG properties in 2nd half of 2018 from 30k->20k per night. So what is the over/under?

30k points = $682.50 x 2 (spouse) = $1365-> 60k points Add 20k from existing balance = 80k points which come August 1st -> 5 nights (4+1) at Cat 7 properties. Add value of 20k to 60k and the total cost for the 5 night Cat 7 award is $1706.

So this makes sense only if you need at least 5 nights and can find a room that would normally cost >$341/nt including tax (I'm not factoring the points you would earn from the stay/spend).

Hmmm, I'm thinking there are some St. Regis properties that probably fit the bill, plus the usual high cost locations such as NYC, Venice, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Addendum: Interesting, the link is down @midnight PDT, hopefully just maintenance
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:51 am

Questions

hi, i have some questions and wondered if anyone can advise please;

1) I’m based in the U.K, if I purchase points will I be charged in US $ if I pay with a visa debit?

2) any idea how quickly points are added to your balance?

many thanks
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Hmmm, I'm thinking there are some St. Regis properties that probably fit the bill, plus the usual high cost locations such as NYC, Venice, etc.

Any other suggestions?
Schloss Fuschl
W Paris
Greek isles properties?
W Maldives

probably mostly St. Regis, Chatwal, etc., other than that.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:42 am

30k points = $682.50 x 2 (spouse)
Note it seems at least in some instances the internal transfer process has slowed down. I am past the five days promised to process on an internal transfer and I have seen others reporting the same. Time is getting short so if you are going to do this I would start it sooner rather than later. I did another transfer earlier this year and that was 3-days even with submitted proof of same address. I am sure they are slammed right now.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Milliemorris
hi, i have some questions and wondered if anyone can advise please;

2) any idea how quickly points are added to your balance?

Generally it is very nearly instant in my experience but I had one that took 24-48 hours once.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:10 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I rarely buy points unless I need a few to fill out a large award but it seems like there might be some limited opportunities here due the temporary reductions for top SPG properties in 2nd half of 2018 from 30k->20k per night. So what is the over/under?

30k points = $682.50 x 2 (spouse) = $1365-> 60k points Add 20k from existing balance = 80k points which come August 1st -> 5 nights (4+1) at Cat 7 properties. Add value of 20k to 60k and the total cost for the 5 night Cat 7 award is $1706.

So this makes sense only if you need at least 5 nights and can find a room that would normally cost >$341/nt including tax (I'm not factoring the points you would earn from the stay/spend).

Any other suggestions?

Addendum: Interesting, the link is down @midnight PDT, hopefully just maintenance

We thought our 5 night point stay at the St Regis Aspen a couple of summers ago was one of our best redemptions.

They upgraded us to a 1 Bedroom Suite that sells for over $1100/night, but even the basic rooms start at over $600.

Aspen in the summer was wonderful- we definitely will return.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
points.com interface seems to be working again, and the SPG points posted overnight. ^

I am seeing peak season award night inventory @ 20k (currently30k) SPG or almost 10 cent/point at some stellar properties - hopefully still available next month after the conversion to Marriott.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Duke787
Any update on the SPG Amex bonus point front? Need to snag mine but if it's not coding for the 2x will throw it on my CSR for the extra 342 UR instead of putting it on the SPG
I only earned 1x.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Milliemorris
1) I’m based in the U.K, if I purchase points will I be charged in US $ if I pay with a visa debit?
Yes, you will be billed in USD, which will then be converted to GBP at the prevailing rate.

Recent political and economic events have (from a U.K. perspective) depressed the exchange rate, so for U.K. purchasers this isn’t as good a deal as it would have been a few months (or years) ago.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:07 am

Thanks for the responses.

In case anyone else has the same questions, points showed almost instantly and I was able to make my booking straight away. The transaction went through in US$ which my credit card co then transferred to sterling.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:40 am

Hi, has anyone be able to successfully purchase points from points.com recently? My puchase checkout always failed with invalid credit card information, even though I tried different credit cards. I also called the credit card company, and they mentioned that there was not authorization issue, and I can see the pending charge in my credit account. There is no points.com customer service number that I can reach out. Any suggestions here? Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Originally Posted by zhaofl
Hi, has anyone be able to successfully purchase points from points.com recently? My puchase checkout always failed with invalid credit card information, even though I tried different credit cards.
Just purchased 10,000 Starpoints successfully around 15 minutes ago. No problem at all.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad
Just purchased 10,000 Starpoints successfully around 15 minutes ago. No problem at all.
Thank you for the information. Will try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.