Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Stays no longer relevant - best strategy for "road warriors"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stays no longer relevant - best strategy for "road warriors"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Hilton HONORS is the only major hotel loyalty program where you can get top elite status with 30 stays. This should be relatively easy to obtain if your stays are 1 night stays. Then choose a second and third loyalty program that suits the cities you visit the most. World of Hyatt still offer 2pm check-out for the lower (10 night/yr) and mid-level (30 night/yr) elites. Even at the new Marriott Gold (25 night/.yr), you can get 2pm late checkout. It depends on what is important to you. Late check-out is important to some and breakfast and/or lounge benefits may be more important for others.
Be careful. The new Marriott Gold 2 pm checkout is based on availability, not guaranteed. Some hotels claim that late checkouts are never available. Plus, having to ask the morning of departure (and wake up early to call the front desk as soon as the morning shift arrives) to maximize the chance can be extremely inconvenient.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Talking

Originally Posted by swiss_global
...<<<snipped>>>...Any I ideas what will be the best strategy?
Instead of being promiscuous by sleeping around in the beds of various hotel partners, how about a monogamous relationship with your one favorite hotel partner
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Instead of being promiscuous by sleeping around in the beds of various hotel partners, how about a monogamous relationship with your one favorite hotel partner
Not always an option as not all chains are in all locations. I was on the "road" for over two years solid. I picked based upon proximity of where I wanted to be and cost. Got me top tier in four programs! Was nice to have options no matter where you go.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Are any credit cards available to you? Any cards that you can get from Switzerland that will grant status at the chains you seek?
No, there are unfortunately no credit cards that grant status is Switzerland (and afaik most other countries in Europe).

Well, as I stated in post #8, my travel includes not only big cities, where all chains are present, but also some secondary destinations, where often only a small selection - which varies - is present. And as I also said, I have no influence on the destinations ... I quick analysis showed my top three cities are London (all major chains present), Berne (Accor only) and Bogotá (all chains except Hyatt present, but not necessarily in convenient locations).

Last edited by swiss_global; Apr 22, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Surely the regular AmEx Plat card is available in Switzerland? IIRC it (check details for the Swiss version) currently gives SPG Gold and Hilton Gold, so you would at least get mid-level status for freein those chains, although we don't know about Starriott in the future. I've done pretty well getting late checkouts and upgrades as Hilton Gold.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Exactly.

And then when there is no Stariott hotel where you need it, you have a one-night stand with whoever looks the prettiest. Maintaining a number of wives / steady partners is just exhausting.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Surely the regular AmEx Plat card is available in Switzerland? IIRC it (check details for the Swiss version) currently gives SPG Gold and Hilton Gold, so you would at least get mid-level status for freein those chains, although we don't know about Starriott in the future. I've done pretty well getting late checkouts and upgrades as Hilton Gold.
The Amex Plat is available, but no hotel related benefits are listed for the Swiss version ... (and despite fewer benefits then fee is CHF 850/USD 950 as compared to the US version which comes with more benefits at USD 550)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Book with virtuoso/fhr/visa luxury collection?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Book with virtuoso/fhr/visa luxury collection?
There's LHW too, but all of these focus on luxury properties in major locations, so they probably wouldn't work well for the OP's business travel.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:54 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Hilton HONORS is the only major hotel loyalty program where you can get top elite status with 30 stays. .
That should be one of your targets, while making Marriott the other. Then buy the Ibis business card to give you gold for Accor, that should cover most locales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.