Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I agree, especially for those of us SPG LTP's who are over 750 nights. Or whatever you want to do to make it equivalent to the Marriott LTP's who will become LTPP's. EQUAL RIGHTS!

Sorry I never signed up for facebook, but you have my support.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
lol.

I agree with stimpy, i.e. those who have more than 750 SPG nights (however earned?) and 670k SPG points you deserve it.

Otherwise...

(In my heart of course I'd prefer 1000 SPG nights and 1m SPG points, like many of the Marriott LTP, now LTPP)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
i agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Curiously, given that Spg points can be earned up to 3 rooms per booking, does the nights booked for other people included in the count of lifetime night count? If so I understand why Marriott does not want 750 nighters LTPP, as it could be just 250 nights for 3 rooms.
Well at least you paid (or someone did) $ to the hotel to receive the night credit, not different from big wallet spending, but yes I agree the alternative cost for the time spent in the hotel room would be different i.e. one third under a linear assumption. But now we are really going down a rabbit hole; yes I agree from a pure academic perspective the definition of a qualifying LT night is different between MR and SPG but my view is that for all practical purposes we should equate one LT SPG night with one LT MR night. Anything else will just lead to an endless debate about 3 rooms per booking credit, roll-over nights etc. which I think from a business perspective at this point in this MR-SPG saga is not very interesting.

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 22, 2018 at 6:28 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I agree, and an exception should be made to allow combined nights, at least earnings post-merger announcement. We were promised that programs would align from the start, asked to combine our accounts, and encouraged to try portfolio brands on the other side. In my own case, I have well over 600 nights on the SPG side, and will easily surpass 750 combined nights across both.

I had joined the 750+ FB group, but was without warning removed from the group this morning after I made a friendly post to advocate that the requirement be 750+ combined nights, but not 750 SPG-only. If such a distinction is going to be made, then a similar requirement should be made of the MR side that they must have earned 10 years of Platinum to also be grandfathered as LTPP. But that's not what I'm advocating, because it would not be reasonable. Those on the MR side were already told they would be grandfathered, and they deserve to be.

So do the SPGs who earned LTP in our program by hard earned nights in hotels and 10+ years of status, requiring well over 50% of the entirety of the SPG program as Platinum! If not an immediate honoring of this basic premise by granting of LTPP, then a reasonable pathway to get there in short order. Any less would be, at least in my own mind, and without hyperbole, unforgivable.

This is the time to stand together as loyal, dedicated and valuable customers, not to provide opportunities to divide and conquer. I continue to believe that Marriott is a good company that will do the right (and business-savvy) thing and look out for the SPG LTP.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jrothenb
I agree, and an exception should be made to allow combined nights, at least earnings post-merger announcement. We were promised that programs would align from the start, asked to combine our accounts, and encouraged to try portfolio brands on the other side. In my own case, I have well over 600 nights on the SPG side, and will easily surpass 750 combined nights across both.

I had joined the 750+ FB group, but was without warning removed from the group this morning after I made a friendly post to advocate that the requirement be 750+ combined nights, but not 750 SPG-only. If such a distinction is going to be made, then a similar requirement should be made of the MR side that they must have earned 10 years of Platinum to also be grandfathered as LTPP. But that's not what I'm advocating, because it would not be reasonable. Those on the MR side were already told they would be grandfathered, and they deserve to be.

So do the SPGs who earned LTP in our program by hard earned nights in hotels and 10+ years of status, requiring well over 50% of the entirety of the SPG program as Platinum! If not an immediate honoring of this basic premise by granting of LTPP, then a reasonable pathway to get there in short order. Any less would be, at least in my own mind, and without hyperbole, unforgivable.

This is the time to stand together as loyal, dedicated and valuable customers, not to provide opportunities to divide and conquer. I continue to believe that Marriott is a good company that will do the right (and business-savvy) thing and look out for the SPG LTP.
I think that the absolute best possible outcome we can hope for, which can be a remote possibility anyway , is a LT status match program from SPG to MR. That is SPG LT PLT can match their accounts nights and implied MR points against the LT MR PLT thresholds, the LT SPG GLD will equivalently be matched against the LT MR Gold thresholds. Probably this would run from 1st Aug to end of Dec. This would hopefully not anger too many on the MR side. The question is do MR have the appetite for such an endeavor, wonder if they have migrated the account history from SPG if that has been done it might be a little easier.

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 22, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I agree that 750+ nights SPG LTPs should be LTPPs. I can see the case for combining it from both programs - but I think it would be justifiable to require 750 nights in one program. A 2 million (equivalent) point requirement makes sense too, though I don't think it would have been hard to get there with 750 nights. I am fairly certain I had 2 million SPG points by now.

I don't have a Facebook account - didn't like their data mining and deleted my account in 2011 - would otherwise join the group
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Curiously, given that Spg points can be earned up to 3 rooms per booking, does the nights booked for other people included in the count of lifetime night count? If so I understand why Marriott does not want 750 nighters LTPP, as it could be just 250 nights for 3 rooms.
Yes, all nights credited to the account are included. Just like MR members could have done 75 meetings rooms for 10 nights each, so with judicious spend MR LTP could be had without ever spending a night in a room.

We need to move away from working from tier names and go with the numbers. Add the nights, spend, years, etc. and then dish out the tiers. MR Plat is not the same as SPG Plat, and definitely not the LP tiers.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Spg, Aeroplan
I agree

I agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Same as Flying_Geek, I don't use Facebook ( but fully support those efforts).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:39 am

For clarity I agree, (though being LTG 750+, just because I am getting the short end of the stick no point that others should)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: a
i agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by yeunganson
So it's not only the 750 nights that should get the MR LTPP or else it would be US heavy. You need to be tentitive to those non-US based members that really went out of their way to stay at Starwood in locations with far fewer of them AND made it to Lifetime Status.
Agree 100% (Europe based LTP here)
Football Fan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
I have no skin in this game as I am soon to be LTP and then LTPP... I agree with some on here that any SPG LTP with 750 nights the equivalent of 2m points in just the SPG program should get grand fathered in to LTPP. I think it would be foolish to combine programs for LT status qualifications though (although I could be persuaded based on the remarks above to count both nights/points in both programs after the merger). As many have said, each program has shortcuts to status and with the SPG credit card getting 3x points (when converted) you could easily rack up 2m. I have one question though... Did SPG have a LTP 50 or LTP 75? or was it just base platinum? The reason I ask is that it seems to me that SPG had 5 levels of status and you could only reach the 2nd level for life? If SPG called it's levels silver, gold, plat, plat + (instead of Gold, Plat, Plat 50, plat 75, etc) would you still feel like you earned a level or two higher than what is being provided? I think Marriott's biggest mistake here was in making something unattainable in the future. It was SPG that didn't have a LT status above base plat...not marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.