Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG had/has only LTG and LTP, where LTP is PlatMinus (the 25 stays version). There was never a lifetime version of Plat50, Plat75, or Ambassador/Plat100. So yes, SPG LTP was the second level from the bottom or the fourth level from the top (of the published status levels).

OTOH, Marriott's LTP was its top published level, as PP and the new private concierge level were never published statuses and never had officially announced criteria, although it's widely believed that PP always required several years at over 100 nights plus a revenue requirement, with the new concierge level (similar to SPG Ambassador) being a second higher unpublished level above PP offered on an experimental basis (possibly with a few reports of individuals without PP status included in the trial).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I have no skin in this game as I am soon to be LTP and then LTPP... I agree with some on here that any SPG LTP with 750 nights the equivalent of 2m points in just the SPG program should get grand fathered in to LTPP. I think it would be foolish to combine programs for LT status qualifications though (although I could be persuaded based on the remarks above to count both nights/points in both programs after the merger). As many have said, each program has shortcuts to status and with the SPG credit card getting 3x points (when converted) you could easily rack up 2m. I have one question though... Did SPG have a LTP 50 or LTP 75? or was it just base platinum? The reason I ask is that it seems to me that SPG had 5 levels of status and you could only reach the 2nd level for life? If SPG called it's levels silver, gold, plat, plat + (instead of Gold, Plat, Plat 50, plat 75, etc) would you still feel like you earned a level or two higher than what is being provided? I think Marriott's biggest mistake here was in making something unattainable in the future. It was SPG that didn't have a LT status above base plat...not marriott.
Even MR's highest LT status is Plat, no LTPP, just PP that could come or go as the numbers shifted (repeatedly hitting 100 nights a year did not assure you kept PP). But unlike MR, SPG offered rewards for going above and beyond and published what it took to earn those perks (Plat50, Plat75, and Plat100). What I see is a lot of effort to account for tier level and not so much for activity. Business is a numbers game, make more than you spend you win. Doing the same here should be the same. If you spent over 750 nights in both (not each), then LTPP is appropriate. Just because someone spent over 750 nights in MR properties does not mean they will bring in more money than someone that has over 1,000 between the two of them. Rewarding status based upon total earnings should be pretty simple.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:25 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I agree and have joined the facebook group
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
I agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Even MR's highest LT status is Plat, no LTPP
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not understand MR very good but the old MR Plat has the exact same benefits whether or not you earned it that year or had LTP. No distinction, unlike SPG plat 50, 75, 100. Marriott is changing some names but the old plat has the same requirements as Plat Pref in the new yet to be named program. This explains why those with MR LTG (me currently) or regularly earned gold are being matched to plat, because it is the same level just the name changed. It feels like MR is going out of its way to honor previous commitments to its LTP by matching LTP to LTPP (so they keep what was "promised" to them).

But unlike MR, SPG offered rewards for going above and beyond and published what it took to earn those perks (Plat50, Plat75, and Plat100). What I see is a lot of effort to account for tier level and not so much for activity.
Marriott published what it took to earn those perks...75 nights. Plat Pref wasn't published before, but we're not talking about LTPP in the old program (which isn't available then or now). With MR as a Plat I received all of the benefits of Silver, Gold and Platinum with the better benefit (like 4pm vs 2pm checkout) winning out. It seems disingenuous to try and draw a distinction that there is no difference in benefits between Plat and plat 75...

Business is a numbers game, make more than you spend you win. Doing the same here should be the same. If you spent over 750 nights in both (not each), then LTPP is appropriate. Just because someone spent over 750 nights in MR properties does not mean they will bring in more money than someone that has over 1,000 between the two of them. Rewarding status based upon total earnings should be pretty simple.
Here I'll just disagree because neither program envisioned a time when nights/points or years of elite status from multiple programs would be combined to merit someone LT status based on one programs individual qualifications. I can understand why you and others would want it. Frankly, adding my SPG and Marriott nights together would make me to LTP today. I just can't see how it makes business sense though. Like I said earlier, if an SPG member (not even LTP) has 750 SPG nights and the equivalent of 2m SPG points then MR should grandfather them in. It is the finality of the LTPP option that is what I think causes most of the frustration.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not understand MR very good but the old MR Plat has the exact same benefits whether or not you earned it that year or had LTP. No distinction, unlike SPG plat 50, 75, 100. Marriott is changing some names but the old plat has the same requirements as Plat Pref in the new yet to be named program. This explains why those with MR LTG (me currently) or regularly earned gold are being matched to plat, because it is the same level just the name changed. It feels like MR is going out of its way to honor previous commitments to its LTP by matching LTP to LTPP (so they keep what was "promised" to them).

Marriott published what it took to earn those perks...75 nights. Plat Pref wasn't published before, but we're not talking about LTPP in the old program (which isn't available then or now). With MR as a Plat I received all of the benefits of Silver, Gold and Platinum with the better benefit (like 4pm vs 2pm checkout) winning out. It seems disingenuous to try and draw a distinction that there is no difference in benefits between Plat and plat 75...

Here I'll just disagree because neither program envisioned a time when nights/points or years of elite status from multiple programs would be combined to merit someone LT status based on one programs individual qualifications. I can understand why you and others would want it. Frankly, adding my SPG and Marriott nights together would make me to LTP today. I just can't see how it makes business sense though. Like I said earlier, if an SPG member (not even LTP) has 750 SPG nights and the equivalent of 2m SPG points then MR should grandfather them in. It is the finality of the LTPP option that is what I think causes most of the frustration.
My responses were based upon the current programs and pointing out some of the disparities with doing a name match. Whereas if they did a numbers match and break the "if you were this then you will be that" conundrum it appears many are in. That way they could even apply some statistics to the numbers and level out some of the tiers so they don't get too weighted down in a tier. But, like with all these discussions, it is an exercise in futility given MR isn't going to see much, if any of this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I agree
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
But, like with all these discussions, it is an exercise in futility given MR isn't going to see much, if any of this.
I am sure somebody at MAR is tasked with monitoring the reaction to the merger, on social media and elsewhere. Whether that information makes it to somebody that matters is of course a different story.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I agree. Know my SPG Ambo is looking at this per our conversation.

Last edited by NWAsilvELITE; Apr 22, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I agree, as others have pointed out, if SPG LTP has >750 combined SPG and MR nights. This is about being fair, on par with MR LTP requirements.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CIT85
I agree, as others have pointed out, if SPG LTP has >750 combined SPG and MR nights. This is about being fair, on par with MR LTP requirements.
MR LPT has no requirement to have 10 years of Platinum right now to be grandfathered. What about SPG members who have > 750 nights, and far more than the 2 million equivalent points (after the 3:1 ratio), but just short of 10 platinum years? If they're going to do something, they should treat SPG members to the same requirements of being grandfathered.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Curiously, given that Spg points can be earned up to 3 rooms per booking, does the nights booked for other people included in the count of lifetime night count? If so I understand why Marriott does not want 750 nighters LTPP, as it could be just 250 nights for 3 rooms.
Marriott also allowed 15 nights / year with their credit cards. In the US, you could do this with the AMEX SPG card (5 nights), although this was never made available to other countries (Canada etc.) Both had different ways of getting additional room nights.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Curiously, given that Spg points can be earned up to 3 rooms per booking, does the nights booked for other people included in the count of lifetime night count? If so I understand why Marriott does not want 750 nighters LTPP, as it could be just 250 nights for 3 rooms.
how many of these 750 marriott nights have been earned via the chase marriott card or by booking meeting rooms????if spg allowed nights to be credited for upto 3 rooms then marriott allowed nights to be credited by other means as well....so in my opinion this argument doesn't hold....

give those with over 750 spg nights the same status as those with over 750 marriott nights....this would be the most fair thing to do....

in fact, marriott has a great opportunity here to get the loyalty of even those spg lifetime members who are between 500-750 nights....i don't think there would be more than a few hundred members who are in this boat....giving them the higher status would be a great goodwill gesture that will ensure they don't move to any other brand....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
I agree
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yvr76
MR LPT has no requirement to have 10 years of Platinum right now to be grandfathered. What about SPG members who have > 750 nights, and far more than the 2 million equivalent points (after the 3:1 ratio), but just short of 10 platinum years? If they're going to do something, they should treat SPG members to the same requirements of being grandfathered.
This is me...I am not expecting to be anything more than my current LT Gold come 8/1, and then LTP at some point next year. Anything above that is a bonus.

It is what it is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.