Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Endlessly repeating the same (likely false) claim doesn't make it any more true
Too hard to google? http://www.starwoodhotels.com/Media/...ENTS_HOTEL.pdf
I can provide multiple other links to the same date/statement but this one's straight from starwood's website.

It sounds like you weren't even aware of any lifetime SPG program until after the merger was announced.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
... and there was a time MR did not offer LT status, your point here? I don't think what is being "offered" comes close to matching what has been earned. Yes, if everyone only did the minimum required to make LTP status, then it may be close to fair. However, I think there are enough SPG LTPs that have exceeded what the typical MR LTP has done and yet there is no equivalent status possible due to arbitrary lines being set. Setting our status based upon the numbers in our accounts (even though even that's not complete in either program) is better than just going by the color of our card. Sounds pretty short-sighted and scares me that will the future of the MPG program.
Roger, the Marriott lifetime program's been around for a VERY LONG time. I switched from SPG to Marriott in 2003 due to the lifetime program and Marriott lifetime had been around for a while before I switched. At the time, the only hotel programs that offered lifetime status were Marriott and Hyatt.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Too hard to google? http://www.starwoodhotels.com/Media/...ENTS_HOTEL.pdf
I can provide multiple other links to the same date/statement but this one's straight from starwood's website.

It sounds like you weren't even aware of any lifetime SPG program until after the merger was announced.
I’ve done 800 nights with plenty before spring 2012. I am well aware of the SPG history. No need to keep posting it.

I am calling you out for your repeated insistence that basically by being a SPG loyal, one had zero care in the world about any LT benefits. You seem to think for yourself that LT status was the #1, 2, and 3 reasons for being a LT member and thus you abandoned SPG. Good for you. Of course the world is not black and white. While my SPG stays only predate the LT announcement by a couple years I’m sure it was a consideration for any SPG loyal with many more nights. I’m guessing most hoped and assumed LT benefits would come but the annual benefits were far better with SPG than Marriott and others (generally agreed as true).

So enough with ascribing your personal motivations on the long term SPG loyals as a whole as you seem to be an outlier.
X-ON and Canada101 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, we seem to be having the same repeated LT arguments being played out over multiple threads, and indeed multiple forums.

Please be mindful of all the FT members reading these threads for updates and information, and keep them clear of unnecessary repetition.

thanks
The mod team
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, we seem to be having the same repeated LT arguments being played out over multiple threads, and indeed multiple forums.

Please be mindful of all the FT members reading these threads for updates and information, and keep them clear of unnecessary repetition.

thanks
The mod team
FWIW the Marriott version of this thread was opened as a direct mirror of my thread started in this forum so...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
My spg number is the same as my SCI number with 7 digits. I started SCI earlier than Westin, so I chose to use SCI as my SPG account.

The spg nights shown in my account starts 1999, it does not include any Sheraton or Westin nights. My account clearly indicated that my Sheraton and Westin nights are not included, even though they were the reason I was made a Gold member in 1999, the first year of SPG.
I'm just going off my vague memory so take that with a grain of salt. I am pretty sure that Starwood sent me my pre-Starwood Sheraton and Westin numbers at some time. But I have no proof that they were part of Lifetime.

However, under my account now it states that I have 20 years of elite status. If Starwood began in 1999, shouldn't that be 19 years? Or are they counting my elite status with SCI and Westin?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm just going off my vague memory so take that with a grain of salt. I am pretty sure that Starwood sent me my pre-Starwood Sheraton and Westin numbers at some time. But I have no proof that they were part of Lifetime.

However, under my account now it states that I have 20 years of elite status. If Starwood began in 1999, shouldn't that be 19 years? Or are they counting my elite status with SCI and Westin?
If you already achieved elite in 2018 then that’s your 20th year.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I agree, any existing Starwood Lifetime Platinum should be gradfathered into LTPP.
Pitero likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

thanks
The mod team
Folks, the mod team are continuing to receive bad post reports of the nature “The poster appears to be keen to knock down those who disagree by constantly repeating the same point.”, so we’re now actively removing unnecessarily repetitious posts.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I agree, any existing Starwood Lifetime Platinum should be gradfathered into LTPP.
The solution is parity, not a different disparity. Program benefits can change from time to time, so which benefits are being offered at which level is not the issue. The issue is treating two groups with the same number of credited nights differently. Fairness would indicate the two groups should be treated the same.
  • Currently SPG requires 500 nights for LTP while MR requires 500 for LTG and 750 for LTP. (ignoring years and points to keep it simple and non-BIB ways to earn nights like ccs or credit for three nights in a single stay)
    • The current SPG LTP includes guests who would have met the criteria for what MR previously called LTG and LTP.
  • The current plan for the new program is for all SPG LTPs to be treated the same as MR LTGs.
    • For parity, most agree that SPG LTPs with 750+ nights should be treated the same as current MR LTPs who each have 750+ nights.
    • For parity, most agree that SPG LTPs with 500-749 nights should be treated the same as current MR LTG because each of them qualified with the same number of nights.
If you make ALL current SPG LTPs new program LTPPs you have the problem of treating those with 500-749 nights differently based on whether they came from SPG or MR, just shifting the shafting from SPG guest with over 750 nights to MR guests with 500-749. It is not fair in either direction or towards either group. How anyone can complain about the inequality towards SPG members with 750+ nights while advocating a solution where the same inequality is meted down on MR members with 500-749 nights does not make sense to me.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
  • Currently SPG requires 500 nights for LTP while MR requires 500 for LTG and 750 for LTP. (ignoring years and points to keep it simple and non-BIB ways to earn nights like ccs or credit for three nights in a single stay)
Let's be real though - Marriott made it very easy to game the system and get to 750 nights a lot quicker than it took Starwood folks to get to 500 nights...you forgot rollover nights and meeting rooms...so you can't just say "oh they cancel each other out"
travelswiss and spgplat21 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:51 pm

Let's be real though - Marriott made it very easy to game the system and get to 750 nights a lot quicker than it took Starwood folks to get to 500 nights...you forgot rollover nights and meeting rooms...so you can't just say "oh they cancel each other out"
The argument that the two groups should be treated the same is one that Marriott might listen to. Why anyone would intentionally antagonize the MR LTPs that are trying to be your allies makes no sense. Your thinking MR LTPs gamed the system belies that most of us earned our Marriott status by staying in hotels. Marriott has the data and knows this.

BTW, the three nights credit for one night was an SPG trick for racking up points quickly, not a Marriott trick.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The argument that the two groups should be treated the same is one that Marriott might listen to. Why anyone would intentionally antagonize the MR LTPs that are trying to be your allies makes no sense. Your thinking MR LTPs gamed the system belies that most of us earned our Marriott status by staying in hotels. Marriott has the data and knows this.

BTW, the three nights credit for one night was an SPG trick for racking up points quickly, not a Marriott trick.
It Is a far less practically useful "trick" than credit card and other nights for the vast majority of frequent guests in that it actually had costs and pretty limited practicality. I do know a couple of people who did this when booking their team members stays for business but that amounts to a very low proportion of SPG members I know.

The bottom line is this. I have no real beef with the Marriot allocation of status to MR LT members. However pretending apples are oranges and comparing them like for like does not work for many SPG members one reason would be that the property footprint was about a third that of Marriotts.

The key business issue for Marriott is to keep SPG loyalists onboard rather than to push them to defect elsewhere. As it happens I have stayed way more at Marriots in the last 18 months than I have at Starwoods as it has suited my stay patterns and I feel that I have been treated pretty well thus far. The MR loyalists only gain from all this so there is little real downside in treating the SPG loyalists well.

The terms of the merged programme though make me feel aggrieved and unlikely to stay in Marriotts going forward and I have top status in 2 other chains without having to do any matching (which would be an attractive option say for Hyatt too).

it would cost Marriott absolutely nothing to give me LTPP or at least a reasonable pathway to it based on combined stay and spend. It will cost them a lot to not give it to me in lost future revenue. If that is replicated across the LTP community (especially those of us demonstrably doing lots of Marriott stays) that is going to dent the value of the acquisition and would be a pretty silly business decision.
travelswiss likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Starwood folks gamed the system too - double credit cards, multi rooms, etc. My point is, it's being disingenuous to basically say "oh both sides were able to rack up similar non-BiB nights".

In my case, I got about 50 out of my LT total of 800+ vs. multi-rooms. I also forfeited an equivalent ~250 CC nights (had I spent the same w/the Marriott Visa), never got a rollover night, never got a meeting room. I wouldn't be surprised if this was more similar to other SPG Plats vs. more different.

I'm sure most Marriott LTPs got the majority of their nights in hotel beds too...but also seems like it wasn't too hard to make it in 5-6 years if one had a busy travel stretch.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:20 am

I'm sure most Marriott LTPs got the majority of their nights in hotel beds too...but also seems like it wasn't too hard to make it in 5-6 years if one had a busy travel stretch.
Which is a big reason why many of us staying 125-175 nights a year would choose Marriott. Why should that be penalized? Many chose the program without the years requirement because heavy travel made it the better choice. Is choosing to stay with Marriott 750 nights over five years less business than 500 night over ten? And remember, those who stay 150/year over five years usually don't suddenly stop staying in hotels. These ""loyalty" programs are not designed to reward guests, they are designed to drive business to the chain. MR became the largest of these hotel programs and Marriott became the largest chain of its type so the PTB must know what they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.