Starriot Ambassador level

Old May 3, 2018, 4:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is a critical question that we might not know the answer to for a while. Is new Starriott Platinum really equal to Marriott Platinum, or more comparable with SPG Gold? They were not the same - One was essentially top tier, the other was mid tier. This will make as large a difference as all the other things we've been discussing. My own suspicion is that Marriott might have calculated that they can have a real "top tier" at just 50 nights because it's what the Starwood programme already had (even easier - 25 stays) and because they're limiting credit card nights. The fact that there are 3 real levels and then 3 levels of Platinum suggests to me the differences inside Platinum might be smaller than the differences between Platinum and other tiers. We have no actual evidence on this yet, so let's wait and see.
Top tier at 50 nights, that would create even more competition for suite upgrades. Counting the 15 credit card nights for some people, that means people with only 35 nights would get the same priority for suite upgrades than people spending $20k USD on 100+ nights (and some of them, 150+ nights with low ADR). It would be a massive pool of people fighting for a limited number of suites and I would not be very optimistic about upgrades. If that's how they elect to handle upgrades, then I would argue that we would be better off to stop at about 50 nights with Starriott (35 with credit card), and reach top tier with 1 or 2 other hotel programs rather than push for 100 nights (and for some people, push for 150+ nights to reach $20k if their ADR is low).

I would be surprised if that's what they did. But as you said, we don't know yet. It would be useful to know before 2019 starts in order to plan where to stay accordingly. For me, the odds of suite upgrades are quite important in the choice of hotel program.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
would be interesting to know about the upgrade priority

Current situation is quite confusing as tier name is now different (PLT vs PP) yet the benefit description is exactly the same
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:39 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
An interesting data point. I just reached Ambassador level yesterday for the first time. Today I checked into a Marriott and the FDC thanked me for being “Platinum Premiere” and asked me with a laugh if I “live at hotels.”

I was at this same hotel last month and they thanked me for being Platinum. I don’t know much about Marriott and have only recently begun staying at them.

Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by damon88
An interesting data point. I just reached Ambassador level yesterday for the first time. Today I checked into a Marriott and the FDC thanked me for being “Platinum Premiere” and asked me with a laugh if I “live at hotels.”

I was at this same hotel last month and they thanked me for being Platinum. I don’t know much about Marriott and have only recently begun staying at them.

You reached Ambassador on Starwood and they recognized it at a Marriott? I didn't think Marriott allowed you to "reach" Ambassador, more that it was a discretionary appointment...

There is clearly some distance still to go on the integration. Even for very large ($20,000+) hotel stay requests, my Starwood Ambassador is still not able to help with Marriott.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

You reached Ambassador on Starwood and they recognized it at a Marriott? I didn't think Marriott allowed you to "reach" Ambassador, more that it was a discretionary appointment...

There is clearly some distance still to go on the integration. Even for very large ($20,000+) hotel stay requests, my Starwood Ambassador is still not able to help with Marriott.
He was thanked for being PP. Not as an Ambassador level guest.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by supatight80
He was thanked for being PP. Not as an Ambassador level guest.
Well yes, but the implication was that he wasn't Platinum Premier with Marriott, or I doubt he would have started with "I just made Ambassador" or said that he hadn't stayed at Marriotts very often.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In the Marriott world, there are codes in the reservation that the FD sees (and engaged GM/Rooms Managers get reports for). A Platinum is a P6, a Plat Premier is an X4, and those of us who have an ambassador also have an M0. No one here on the SPG side seems to know whether the FD at an SPG property sees the difference between Plat/Plat50/Plat75/Plat100.

In my past 200 stays at Marriotts, only one time has someone noted that I have an Ambassador. I'd say they get the Plat Premier right 30-50 percent of the time. Other than perhaps one or two people in this forum, I haven't seen anyone report that they are regularly seeing their SPG Ambassador proactively (without any request) contact properties to arrange something special.

I don't believe, however that the current integration links an SPG100 to anything other than a Marriott Plat. At least I haven't seen anyone report that.

And for the poster above who decided to do a mattress run to reach SPG100 last year, I'm curious what additional benefits came from the ambassador relative to the cost of those 10 nights.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Well yes, but the implication was that he wasn't Platinum Premier with Marriott, or I doubt he would have started with "I just made Ambassador" or said that he hadn't stayed at Marriotts very often.
Yes- it seemed really strange to me (I’m a she btw) because AFAIK I am not PP. The FDC may have misspoken - she probably meant Platinum. But she did stare at my details on the screen for a while and make the comment about “living at hotels” which makes no sense at Marriott since I only have 20 nights YTD including 15 from my CC. It *seemed* as if she could see more than Marriott.

(I should have asked her )
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Yes- it seemed really strange to me (I’m a she btw) because AFAIK I am not PP. The FDC may have misspoken - she probably meant Platinum. But she did stare at my details on the screen for a while and make the comment about “living at hotels” which makes no sense at Marriott since I only have 20 nights YTD including 15 from my CC. It *seemed* as if she could see more than Marriott.

(I should have asked her )
If you're PP, you can see it on your MR account as well as on the MR elite card. You also *should* have received a gift in about March.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're PP, you can see it on your MR account as well as on the MR elite card. You also *should* have received a gift in about March.
So that means the FDC erred. I would say it’s a preview of the time when I achieve the actual status in August except that from reports it is not something FDCs typically note.

Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

So that means the FDC erred. I would say it’s a preview of the time when I achieve the actual status in August except that from reports it is not something FDCs typically note.

Or ... an early indication that some information has started to be carried over in the integration!

And the FDC is supposed to note PP but for reasons I don't understand, they often don't know an X4 is different than a P6.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I would assume so. Apparently MR never considered people for PP until they had at least several years of 100+ nights and it's extremely unlikely that they would give someone PP by mistake. Moreover, in the interim period of the Starriott merger, higher levels of SPG Plat including Ambassador were not matched to PP upon linking accounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.