Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Question: SPG redemption change after Aug. 1???

Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi all,

Pardon me for asking this dumb question but I need the answer somewhat urgently. (At work so can’t shift through 3000+ pages in the sticky post regarding merger).

Some kind FTers in a different thread suggest that Gritti Palace (cat 7) will need a lot LESS SPG points for redemption after Aug. 1 this year.

I am quite confused as to why.

I need to book a room at the hotel for November. Should I book now or wait? It’s our dream vacation and we absolutely cannot risk not having the inventory when August comes. Can we book a room under C&P this month and change it to full points redemption (if the full points required are a lot less than current regime) under the same reservation #?

Please advise and thank you all.

Again My apologies if this is a stupid question and there’s an obvious answer else where.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
No one knows for sure how many points a given hotel will cost after 8/1. So unless the reservation would be non-cancellable, I'd recommend booking the room now, and then if it's available in August for cheaper, cancel and book again at the new rate.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Here's the explanation that another poster gave to a similar question:
Originally Posted by Preacher7

b/c on aug 1, all ritz and spg properties will be merged into the Marriott category system, even the uber-lux properties that currently charge a ton of points. Since Marriott properties max out at 60K ppn, this will be awesome, until early 2019 when they revise their charts for peak and off-peak pricing, maxing out at 100K ppn.
60K MR works out to only 20K SPG, which is less than the SPG site currently wants for that property.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

There is absolutely nothing that would lead to the expectation that you will be able to change a C&P into a FNA reservation — you can’t do it now under the current terms of the program, unlesse FNA are already available for booking.

So, book now and maybe cancel later in august if there is availability.

I can not see how the Gritti, the Danieli and the sort will not be going way down in points cost come August.

The new top category will be cat. 7 for 60000 MPG points per night, that’s just 20000 Starpoints, about 60% of what those hotels currently cost.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

There is absolutely nothing that would lead to the expectation that you will be able to change a C&P into a FNA reservation — you can’t do it now under the current terms of the program, unlesse FNA are already available for booking.

So, book now and maybe cancel later in august if there is availability.

I can not see how the Gritti, the Danieli and the sort will not be going way down in points cost come August.

The new top category will be cat. 7 for 60000 MPG points per night, that’s just 20000 Starpoints, about 60% of what those hotels currently cost.
The room I’m looking at now can be booked either for full points (30k a night) or C+P (15k and 275 USD). So I want to book C+P now, and after August 1, assuming there is still availability of the same room for full points redemption - change my reservation from C+P to full points redemption (eg at 60K Marriot Points per night).

Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Will all these hotels release "standard rooms" for points only redemption post Aug 1st? I can imagine many not releasing points only rooms.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I read that if you have a reservation and it drops in points in August you can contact CS and have the points difference refunded.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do you have enough points to reserve both? That would be simple solution.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CPRich
Do you have enough points to reserve both? That would be simple solution.
Also, keep in mind MR currently allows you to book a point stay without having the points, so IF that holds going forward, you can book the second rez and then cancel the first to get your points back to cover the second. There will probably be a lot of little details like this that may not survive the merger and we may not find out via an announcement.

To the OP, if it's an important trip, book it NOW if you can. There are no guarantees the property will play nice if they think they will loose (eg. not load point rooms).
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
You cannot change C+P into FNA. You will have to cancel one and make a new reservation for another.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Also, keep in mind MR currently allows you to book a point stay without having the points
How can we do this? When I try to book a hotel and I do not have enough points in my account, it does not book.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
How can we do this? When I try to book a hotel and I do not have enough points in my account, it does not book.
On the booking page, right under the picture of the room there should be the following boxed text in red: "Additional points required: With Points Advance, you can wait to earn the points you need and redeem them before you stay.". And at the very bottom of the page, there is a "book now" button. Press it and assuming you have all the CC info filled in correctly, you will have a reservation.

Note that you do have to be logged into your account to make any award reservation. If you are still having problems with the online tool, you can call MR and a reservations agent can make the award reservation for you as well.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Also, keep in mind MR currently allows you to book a point stay without having the points, so IF that holds going forward, you can book the second rez and then cancel the first to get your points back to cover the second. There will probably be a lot of little details like this that may not survive the merger and we may not find out via an announcement.

To the OP, if it's an important trip, book it NOW if you can. There are no guarantees the property will play nice if they think they will loose (eg. not load point rooms).

Thanks!! That’s a great tip. We do not have enough to book two rooms- only enough for C+P. We could transfer from Amex but been told that’s awful value.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, keep in mind MR currently allows you to book a point stay without having the points
Originally Posted by hhoope01
On the booking page, right under the picture of the room there should be the following boxed text in red: "Additional points required: With Points Advance, you can wait to earn the points you need and redeem them before you stay."
Just keep in mind that Gritti Palace is an SPG property, so none of this helps OP.

For further info/discussions on MR program points advance, there are plenty of threads on the MR forum with guidance.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, if you "absolutely cannot risk not having the inventory when August comes", then book it now in whatever currency you want to use. Don't assume it will be cheaper, don't assume you can convert reservations, etc.

All these may happen, but the future is a somewhat fuzzy unknown. Signs are that you will have options, but don't bet a "must have" on it. Especially when whatever you book now can always be cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.