New AMEX sign-up deals revealed and it is VERY bad

Old Apr 19, 18, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, AA Gold, SWA A+, *W Plat, Hyatt Exp, MR Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, CC Gold
New AMEX sign-up deals revealed and it is VERY bad

Here's a link to the first blogger I saw post about this:

https://runningwithmiles.boardingare...323.1428926485

It was fun while it lasted! Earning down...laughable sign-up!

I wonder if Amex is being forced to offer a $ credit vs bonus points under the new credit card deals....possibly giving Chase the exclusive to offer a points bonus.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 19, 18 at 5:34 am
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:22 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, SPG & Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Here's a link to the first blogger I saw post about this:

https://runningwithmiles.boardingare...323.1428926485

It was fun while it lasted! Earning down...laughable sign-up!

I wonder if Amex is being forced to offer a $ credit vs bonus points under the new credit card deals....possibly giving Chase the exclusive to offer a points bonus.
Why not copy and paste the details below the link for those of us who don't want to go to every random bloggers page?
izzik, Grog, jpdx and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, AA Gold, SWA A+, *W Plat, Hyatt Exp, MR Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post

Why not copy and paste the details below the link for those of us who don't want to go to every random bloggers page?
I thought we were not allowed to do this according to the T&C of Flyertalk. Am I wrong?
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Copyright laws and FT rules.

Plus simple respect for others who put in the effort.
MSPeconomist and JackE like this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Awesome. Yet another thread complaining about the new Amex cards.
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I thought FT rules were pretty clear that you should include a synopsis of the article/webpage, not the whole thing.
Grog and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Why do you keep posting with this blog link? I see it's in another thread.
Are you affiliated with the blog (or are you the blogger)?
Old Apr 19, 18, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik View Post
Why do you keep posting with this blog link? I see it's in another thread.
Are you affiliated with the blog (or are you the blogger)?
No! If I was I would put it in my post as the FT rules state! I saw it and since everyone is in an uproar about the credit card reduced earnings I thought it might be useful. And AGAIN...I thought posting the link was the right way to do it according to the rules! If it's that big of a darn deal have a Mod merge or delete whatever makes you happy! I give up!
Old Apr 19, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG-Platinum, Hyatt-Diamond, AA-Platinum
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I have a strong suspicion that was all part of the negotiation with Chase and Amex and the only way Chase would allow Amex to stay in the Marriott CC game. Chase will be able to offer 100K sign-up bonuses on their new cards immediately so they can lure as many SPG Amex folks over as possible, while Amex will be limited for a certain period as to the bonus they can offer. Hopefully its just a short term issue, because there will be little other reason for new customers to get the SPG Amex.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
I have a strong suspicion that was all part of the negotiation with Chase and Amex and the only way Chase would allow Amex to stay in the Marriott CC game. Chase will be able to offer 100K sign-up bonuses on their new cards immediately so they can lure as many SPG Amex folks over as possible, while Amex will be limited for a certain period as to the bonus they can offer. Hopefully its just a short term issue, because there will be little other reason for new customers to get the SPG Amex.
My guess is the only good bonus for Amex will be on the luxury card and maybe a change later to this business card.
Old Apr 19, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I see two possibilities in my mind.
1. They are doing this now to avoid confusion. What bonus points would I be getting? The current starpoints? The new program points? Does it matter when I apply and complete my spending (before or after Aug 1)?
2. They will be phasing this card out.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Oh no, Amex wants cardholders who aren't interested in churning free nights and only putting the min spend on the card!! Quelle horreaur.

Okay, sarcastic tone not withstanding, Amex has made their position abundantly clear based on their actions - they only want cardholders who will use cards. That will probably mean lower cardholder numbers for them, but that's the direction they want to go. How many people on FT and these billion points blogs all talk about putting their cards "on ice", "in the sock drawer", etc. once the min spend is done? What good is that for SPG or Amex?
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Oh no, Amex wants cardholders who aren't interested in churning free nights and only putting the min spend on the card!! Quelle horreaur.

Okay, sarcastic tone not withstanding, Amex has made their position abundantly clear based on their actions - they only want cardholders who will use cards. That will probably mean lower cardholder numbers for them, but that's the direction they want to go. How many people on FT and these billion points blogs all talk about putting their cards "on ice", "in the sock drawer", etc. once the min spend is done? What good is that for SPG or Amex?
That's fine, but why would anyone sign up for this card instead of the Chase card?
Old Apr 19, 18, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
That's fine, but why would anyone sign up for this card instead of the Chase card?
Probably nobody until the airline points transfers are announced. Also people who Chase won't give cards to because of their 5/24 rule, or people like me who never bank with Chase.

But the other question to be asked is how many signup bonuses will Chase give out to members who don't plan on spending on the card?
Old Apr 19, 18, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Probably nobody until the airline points transfers are announced. Also people who Chase won't give cards to because of their 5/24 rule, or people like me who never bank with Chase.

But the other question to be asked is how many signup bonuses will Chase give out to members who don't plan on spending on the card?
I don't know, but probably a similar number to the current Marriott card. Or the Southwest card. Or the United card. Or the Hyatt card. It obviously works for Chase or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Search this Thread