Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by paolo64

Not from my perspective: 165% of the points required for MR LTP, as starpoints, ie very similar to what others report. No CC, just nights and incidentals. And that's pretty much mid-range SPGs...Sheratons, Westins, Le Meridiens ( a few Alofts, ST R, etc etc etc)

Of course you're multiplying your SPG points x3. Plus you have been able to get points for meals and incidentals. Again, different programs so different methods of accruing points.

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
I, a low 500ish SPG LTP, exceeded 2MM MR points eqv without credit card point dopage. The 750s with cards will easily have exceeded 2MM SPG points!
Walk us through the math here. 670K starpoints / 500 nights = 1,340 starpoints/night. Divided by 3 starpoints/dollar spent = $440/night average spend. Do you consider yourself normal? That's several standard deviations above the average ADR.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by inflight_irish
Marriott has definitely taken SPG members for granted. How is it fair that I will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.

Unless Marriott revises its policy, I will be moving my business elsewhere.
Make sure you have your options fully researched. Good luck for wherever you end up.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by dannybhoy

140 card-derived nights over 7 years? That would have brought me almost within range of LTP750. Maybe even hit LTP750 since I might have been incentivised to stay 75 nights a year over those 7 years!
How long have you been with SPG? it's been less than 7 years since they started LT status so LT status obviously wasn't important to you until now.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by itsallgood

Of course you're multiplying your SPG points x3. Plus you have been able to get points for meals and incidentals. Again, different programs so different methods of accruing points.

Walk us through the math here. 670K starpoints / 500 nights = 1,340 starpoints/night. Divided by 3 starpoints/dollar spent = $440/night average spend. Do you consider yourself normal? That's several standard deviations above the average ADR.
I'm sure my average spend will be less startling once I deduct the various promo bonuses. In any case, that's life outside "Pulaski, Tennessee; Brandon, Mississippi; Pork Bend, Utah; Wampum, Pennsylvania" USA. You can pay US$130 easy for a weekend night in a third rate 4 Points in some parts of the world. Actually, I don't consider my circumstance normal - after all, my primary residence in my own country is in public housing!
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
As I posted in the merged program thread: I exchanged some messages with Marriott on Twitter over the weekend expressing disappointment in the lifetime mappings for legacy SPG members. Yesterday evening, I received the following message:

"Stay tuned, [name]! There will be more details to come on this soon."
So, take that for what it's worth.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:35 am

No petition for Marriott PLT who stayed over 100 night but didn’t spend $20K for ambassador status yet SPG members will receive it without the $20K requirement for 2019.

There wasn’t a petition when Marriott PLT’s didn’t get SNA when Marriott/SPG recognized each others status last year.

No petition when SPG Gold’s received breakfast & lounge access at Marriott Hotels and yet Marriott Golds didn’t at Starwood Hotels.

Seems like Marriott members are the ones who have been shafted more than once but you don’t see them starting petitions.
slowly and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by imverge
Seems like Marriott members are the ones who have been shafted more than once but you don’t see them starting petitions.
Maybe because their benefits have been enhanced across the board once Starwood/SPG came into the mix?
- 4pm check-out
- SNAs
- Better / firmer suite upgrade language
- Breakfast at more properties
- Ability to get Your 24 / Ambassador

Along with an amazing new set of highly desirable places one would love to use points on for vacations & nice stays.
X-ON, Score8, clarkef and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:33 am

They didn't enhance the benefits of all the things I listed vs. what SPG members got immediately! And there was no petition started!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by imverge
They didn't enhance the benefits of all the things I listed vs. what SPG members got immediately! And there was no petition started!
There's also no petition among SPG loyals to ask for 15 nights + 1 night per $3K spend for our own qualifying for this year

No petition among SPG loyals to get better suite access in Marriott properties & breakfasts at Resorts/R-Cs over the past couple years

No petition among SPG loyals to have our Your24 benefits honored at Marriott properties

The petition is to deal with a lifetime of hotel nights spent in the high hundreds, of recognition of hundreds of thousands of $ spent, etc. Just a bit different.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by itsallgood
You think that 2MM points is easy? Put a pen to paper and do some calculations. Marriott's credit card has always been rated poorly as a credit card for everyday spend; conversely, SPG's credit card has always been rated at/near the top for everyday spend.
I just requested my master statement from SPG and after taking out all the noise, I earned 2,536,184 points and had 636 nights over 11 years. And just counting stay earnings I was at 652K points. So even if I just charged the stays and nothing else on the credit card, I would have been over the 2MM points requirement. Even just including the sign-up bonus would have pushed me over the edge. I actually think it would be very difficult to have 750 nights at SPG as a platinum member and not get to the 2M point equivalent under SPG. I'd be curious to know if any SPG member that has looked into it has 750 nights and didn't meet the 2MM point equivalent.

So yes, after putting pen to paper, I do think the 2MM points requirement is significantly easier than the 10 year requirement. That said, l still think both are hard and should have been rewarded equally in the new program.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
I completely understand why everyone is pissed about not getting LTPP. If I were in your shoes I would be livid also. This highlights why if possible try to make status in two chains.

But I understand why Marriott is rewarding its own members over the incoming Starwood folks.

Look at it this way, you stayed 800 nights at a Starwood property. When looking at the stays up until 2016, you were essentially staying at a Marriott Competitor. You could have chosen to stay at Marriott but you didn’t you stayed at a competing hotel. Nothing wrong with that there is great reasons for doing that.

If Marriott was to be truly fair, they should count SPG stays after 2016 with Marriott stays and then give status off that. In 2016 SPG was no longer a competitor.

Anyone who has been in the game enough to be sniffing at the LTPP mark has been around for a long time. That means they were going to a competitor for service for a long time, thus Marriott didn’t feel the need to reward them long-term. Thus I can see why Marriott isn’t rewarding the legacy Starwood folks with LTPP, whereas they are recognizing Marriott faithful’s.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
As I posted in the merged program thread: I exchanged some messages with Marriott on Twitter over the weekend expressing disappointment in the lifetime mappings for legacy SPG members. Yesterday evening, I received the following message:

So, take that for what it's worth.
It would be nice to believe that there might be some re-thinking going on. If there is then they need to get on with it and make some decisions/announcements; if not, they need to say so, clearly and quickly. For many people stay patterns will vary as a consequence of the changes, and those plans can't be on hold forever.
Canada101 and PanAmWT like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by TomBrady
I completely understand why everyone is pissed about not getting LTPP. If I were in your shoes I would be livid also. This highlights why if possible try to make status in two chains.

But I understand why Marriott is rewarding its own members over the incoming Starwood folks.

Look at it this way, you stayed 800 nights at a Starwood property. When looking at the stays up until 2016, you were essentially staying at a Marriott Competitor. You could have chosen to stay at Marriott but you didn’t you stayed at a competing hotel. Nothing wrong with that there is great reasons for doing that.

If Marriott was to be truly fair, they should count SPG stays after 2016 with Marriott stays and then give status off that. In 2016 SPG was no longer a competitor.

Anyone who has been in the game enough to be sniffing at the LTPP mark has been around for a long time. That means they were going to a competitor for service for a long time, thus Marriott didn’t feel the need to reward them long-term. Thus I can see why Marriott isn’t rewarding the legacy Starwood folks with LTPP, whereas they are recognizing Marriott faithful’s.
I completely agree with your point but Marriott did not say that at all. In fact, Marriott said the exact opposite despite the repeated questions about what would happen to LT status from many SPG members.

Marriott repeatedly said that LT status would be respected when both MR and SPG merged without any mention whatsoever that Marriott would treat its own LTPs differently from SPG members even if those SPG members hit the same milestones (750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points). That's where, I believe, there is some disaffect among SPG LT members. For years, both MR and SPG members were told that to achieve the highest LT tier, certain conditions had to be met and after meeting those, Marriott assured SPG LT members that their LT status would be transferred to the new, merged program. It was only after the announcement that it became clear that a new top tier would be created and SPG LTPs need not apply (or more accurately, could not apply).
paolo64 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Canada101
I completely agree with your point but Marriott did not say that at all. In fact, Marriott said the exact opposite despite the repeated questions about what would happen to LT status from many SPG members.

Marriott repeatedly said that LT status would be respected when both MR and SPG merged without any mention whatsoever that Marriott would treat its own LTPs differently from SPG members even if those SPG members hit the same milestones (750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points). That's where, I believe, there is some disaffect among SPG LT members. For years, both MR and SPG members were told that to achieve the highest LT tier, certain conditions had to be met and after meeting those, Marriott assured SPG LT members that their LT status would be transferred to the new, merged program. It was only after the announcement that it became clear that a new top tier would be created and SPG LTPs need not apply (or more accurately, could not apply).

To be fair, Marriott did honor the SPG LT members. They are being brought in at the highest level that is possible to achieve (LTP). Marriott just gave those who were loyal to Marriott for a long time a grandfather clause into the LTPP, Like i've said previously, rewarding those who didn't go to a competitor for years. No one who had lifetime status before the merger is losing it.

Like I said previosuly, SPG LTP's should be asking for the 2016 stays onward to be combined with marriott stays for LTPP. Because at that point you weren't choosing a competitor.

However I totally get your vitriol on the subject. I've been hitting 120+ nights a year at Marriott for 7 years now. Been a Platinum Premier for the last 3 years. If say hyatt were to buy marriott and then drop me a level, I would be pissed beyond belief also. I would get why they did it, but it wouldn't stop me from complaining also.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by TomBrady

I don't think that's Marriotts logic. remember, they use loyalty to drive business. in your example, someone continued to stay at SPG well past the max lifetime status they offered. marriott assumes this person stays loyal to a chain and llifetime status is not their motivator (if it was, they woudl have left SPG long before). so there's no business reason to give more of these types of people lifetime status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.