Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by paolo64
There is nothing remotely DYKWIA about it. Nobody is asking for anything better than someone else or for something undeserved but rather for equity. Marriott decided to offer one group of loyal members a bonus rate 50% higher than that offered to another group ( one that has been at least equally loyal over a long period of time).

We'll have to agree to disagree on both of those points.
SPG LT members have been loyal to SPG. Marriott LT members have been loyal to Marriott. There's been a lot of barking on this forum how SPG members were going to defect from the Marriott family after the two companies are fully merged - that's not exactly what I'd call loyal to Marriott.

The point about the SPG LT program being relatively recent is completely irrelevant;

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I left SPG in 2003 after researching LT status among hotel programs. There were two choices: Marriott and Hyatt. I chose to go to Marriott, abandoning multiple years as SPG Plat with 300+ hotel nights.
SPG is new to this LT status scheme - they started LT status on Feb 1, 2012. So up until Feb 1 2012, LT status was of no importance for SPG members. Now, only six years later, it's a huge problem that SPG members aren't getting offered LTPPE? That argument doesn't hold much water.

It's just a very dumb decision , given that it appears to be deliberate policy rather than an oversight.

No it was based on how many nights were required to attain each LT status. The cutover maps out perfectly with annual nights required. 75+, 50-74, 25-49, 10-24. It was done extremely logically. The fact of the matter is that SPG only required 50 nights to achieve Plat. Marriott required 75 nights. It's very easy to understand how this decision was reached.

I doubt that this slight will lead to a mass exodus of SPG LTPs; but the fact that people are seriously looking at alternatives is an indication of the level of disappointment and should be a matter of concern for Marriott. They shouldn't have taken this group for granted.
Marriott has not taken SPG members for granted. Marriott has been very generous with the cutover.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by tods27
This is the main reason why I have 707 nights at Marriott properties, but don't have any LT status with them. I did benefit (for nights) from a year on a project where they used Marriott's long term apartment service (can't remember the name) where I got credit for nights, but no points accumulation. Even under the reduced point scheme (2,000,000 instead of 3,000,000) in MR, you almost have to have the MR Credit card and spend heavily to make LT status.

As someone who's dabbled with LT status with Hyatt, Marriott, and SPG, I can tell you that Marriott's LT status used to be extremely difficult.
12 yrs as a MR member.
At least one year at the LT level.
1000 nights
3MM points

Even with the changes, 2MM points isn't easy to accomplish without quite a bit of spend. The LT point accumulation's usually the highest hurdle for MR LT status unless you've got RC/JW Marriott expense account where you can stay at the most expensive properties in the portfolio.

OTOH, SPG LT status was the easiest to hit between the four main LT programs (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, SPG). It only required 10 stays and 5 yrs as Gold/Plat for LT Gold and 25 stays and 10 yrs as Plat for LT Plat. Even after I stopped travelling on OPM, I could hit SPG Plat on stays and the credit card.

We can all tell stories of how difficult it was to achieve status in one program vice another, but having done both for two decades, my experience is that I could achieve Plat with SPG easier than with Marriott. YMMV.

I had hoped that they would do a UA/CO type thing where they recalculated all the numbers then doled out the appropriate status. In that case (which I have posted about before), there was only a couple discrepancies (counting certain partner flights and some status bonuses) that they had the data to recalculate them. I was hoping for simply counting my lifetime points in SPG and adding them to my MR points in the hope of getting me to LTG (MR level). Now, I'm going to benefit (at least I think) from the new program in that I am expecting to qualify for LTP based on a bunch of years as MR Plat. I'm not exactly sure yet as I can't remember exactly what years I was MR Plat, but it was at least 8 and I have 1 SPG Plat year (and then there's the whole "Will they count MR Gold years towards the new LTP level" question).

Forget about the SPG points. The announcement of how LT status will be calculated in the future should be a clear signal to everyone that points won't matter anymore unless you're going for LTPPE status from the MR side. And they're extremely unlikely to calculate SPG earned points into that calculation because it would require a LOT of time to make those calculations. OTOH, calculating years as an elite is a very easy calculation and is what will be used going forward.

Personally, I like the idea of calculating the nights in SPG and then using the 750 night bogey to grandfather an SPG LTP to LTPP. I would not like to see them use combined MR and SPG nights. I think that it would need to be solely based on SPG nights. I would also like to see them just do this and not make a big announcement about it. The people who are affected would know, and anyone else doesn't need to know.
Marriott's always been very transparent. They won't quietly give LTPPE solely based on SPG nights. If they decide to do it, they'll be very clear about it and will communicate it to everyone. However, the more I look at this issue, the less likely I see it as something that will happen. While I've found Marriott to be very fair and ethical, the reason why I don't see SPG-only members being grandfathered into LTPPE is that the logic Marriott used in deciding LT tiers was based on annual night requirements - if they back off of that position, things get rather squishy and there will be more groups demanding carveouts for their 'special circumstances'.
phltraveler likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by itsallgood

Even with the changes, 2MM points isn't easy to accomplish without quite a bit of spend. The LT point accumulation's usually the highest hurdle for MR LT status unless you've got RC/JW Marriott expense account where you can stay at the most expensive properties in the portfolio.

OTOH, SPG LT status was the easiest to hit between the four main LT programs (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, SPG). It only required 10 stays and 5 yrs as Gold/Plat for LT Gold and 25 stays and 10 yrs as Plat for LT Plat. Even after I stopped travelling on OPM, I could hit SPG Plat on stays and the credit card.

We can all tell stories of how difficult it was to achieve status in one program vice another, but having done both for two decades, my experience is that I could achieve Plat with SPG easier than with Marriott. YMMV.
That's not how SPG lifetime status works, but I agree that would be easier if that's how it worked. In addition to the night requirements that you left out, it should also be noted that the credit card nights did not count for the night requirements, but could help hit the years of status requirement.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
That's not how SPG lifetime status works, but I agree that would be easier if that's how it worked. In addition to the night requirements that you left out, it should also be noted that the credit card nights did not count for the night requirements, but could help hit the years of status requirement.
Pardon me; I left out the 250/500 nights. I don't think many are tripped up by not hitting the number of nights ... I have SPG LT Gold, 517 SPG nights, and 8 or 9 years as Plat. It wouldn't have taken much more to hit LT Plat.

That doesn't change the fact that SPG is/was the easiest of the 4 LT programs to achieve.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Pardon me; I left out the 250/500 nights. I don't think many are tripped up by not hitting the number of nights ... I have SPG LT Gold, 517 SPG nights, and 8 or 9 years as Plat. It wouldn't have taken much more to hit LT Plat.

That doesn't change the fact that SPG is/was the easiest of the 4 LT programs to achieve.
I will agree with you that Hyatt's is much more difficult, and I don't know enough about Hilton's to opine, but I do think Marriott's is easier than SPGs for a number of reasons, especially for someone that frequents flyertalk. Almost every aspect of it can be gamed pretty easily.

With the nights credit from the Marriott credit card, SPG's more limited footprint and less room for gaming on nights, I think the nights piece is a wash. So I think it comes down to whether you view the 2MM points or 10 years as harder. I think the 2MM is easier to achieve, especially for US members, but I acknowledge that there's a good argument that the 2MM points is harder, especially for people outside the US that may not have credit card access and for people that have to charge travel expenses to a company credit card. But to say either is easier as a matter of fact is silly.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I will agree with you that Hyatt's is much more difficult, and I don't know enough about Hilton's to opine, but I do think Marriott's is easier than SPGs for a number of reasons, especially for someone that frequents flyertalk. Almost every aspect of it can be gamed pretty easily.

With the nights credit from the Marriott credit card, SPG's more limited footprint and less room for gaming on nights, I think the nights piece is a wash. So I think it comes down to whether you view the 2MM points or 10 years as harder. I think the 2MM is easier to achieve, especially for US members, but I acknowledge that there's a good argument that the 2MM points is harder, especially for people outside the US that may not have credit card access and for people that have to charge travel expenses to a company credit card. But to say either is easier as a matter of fact is silly.
You think that 2MM points is easy? Put a pen to paper and do some calculations. Marriott's credit card has always been rated poorly as a credit card for everyday spend; conversely, SPG's credit card has always been rated at/near the top for everyday spend.

As far as gaming goes, look on this forum on how many people have hotel hopped daily to get SPG Plat. I've done it. It takes a bit of work but it's very easy. You could play 'stays to top status' game with Hyatt, Hilton, and SPG. Marriott only accepted annual nights for status, not stays so not much hotel hopping with that program - although there have been a few who would do it for the extra welcome amenity.

I do, however, find this sense of outrage over gaming hotel programs pretty humorous. That's been one of Flyertalk's historical main purposes - to disseminate techniques to gain higher status through exploiting various shortcuts. Besides, almost all of the stays/nights we're talking about have been on OPM and most FTers rarely open their wallets to pay for hotel nights. the OPM game stopped for me in 2010 so everything's done on my money - and yes, I will exploit as many shortcuts as possible.

Finally, I will state unequivocally that it's much easier to attain top status with SPG through shortcuts than Marriott. Since you seem to indicate that you've never taken any of these shortcuts, you don't understand just how easy it is to get SPG Plat. A few years ago, I alternated nights between two Sheratons across the street from each other in NYC - one is now deflagged, but I did the same game a few years ago ping ponging between the Sheraton, Westin, and Aloft. Not hard at all.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
You think that 2MM points is easy? Put a pen to paper and do some calculations. Marriott's credit card has always been rated poorly as a credit card for everyday spend; conversely, SPG's credit card has always been rated at/near the top for everyday spend.
Finally, I will state unequivocally that it's much easier to attain top status with SPG through shortcuts than Marriott. Since you seem to indicate that you've never taken any of these shortcuts, you don't understand just how easy it is to get SPG Plat. A few years ago, I alternated nights between two Sheratons across the street from each other in NYC - one is now deflagged, but I did the same game a few years ago ping ponging between the Sheraton, Westin, and Aloft. Not hard at all.
I would have to agree that SPG LT is easier to attain than MR LT (discounting the people who may game the system in either program). As itsallgood noted, the points requirement on MR made it significantly harder for most people. For my SPG LTG, I used the SPG Amex to flesh out the status years that I needed (although, I'm still confused how I got to 300 nights and didn't have 5 years as SPG Gold/Platinum). On the MR side I was almost at Plat level nights, but didn't have enough points for LTS.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:07 pm

I would have to agree that SPG LT is easier to attain than MR LT (discounting the people who may game the system in either program). As itsallgood noted, the points requirement on MR made it significantly harder for most people. For my SPG LTG, I used the SPG Amex to flesh out the status years that I needed (although, I'm still confused how I got to 300 nights and didn't have 5 years as SPG Gold/Platinum). On the MR side I was almost at Plat level nights, but didn't have enough points for LTS.
Not from my perspective: 165% of the points required for MR LTP, as starpoints, ie very similar to what others report. No CC, just nights and incidentals. And that's pretty much mid-range SPGs...Sheratons, Westins, Le Meridiens ( a few Alofts, ST R, etc etc etc)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
A number of SPG LTPs have calculated from our Master Statements that we have exceeded the 2MM MR points equivalent. That includes me who has only 528 SPG lifetime nights and who as non-US has no recourse to the points doping from co-branded cards!

Much has been said about how easy it is to attain annual SPG Gold or Plat through stays (10 or 25). But one forgets that doing so, especially at the bare minimum of 1-night stays, would result in taking 25 years to reach Lifetime Gold or 20 years to reach Lifetime Plat!

And since the intro of higher SPG Plat50/75/100, Plat lite 25 was good only for breakfast and room upgrades (suite upgrades without SNAs were at least for me noticeably tougher even as Plat50). An easy path to annual SPG Plat status but the benefits are more limited and terribly inefficient as a way to lifetime status.

Yes SPG allows credit for multiple (3?) rooms. But at least that requires butts in beds. Nothing like Marriott’s 15 nights for credit card plus 1 night per 3k spend, AND let’s not even talk about the 10 nights per meeting room booking! With the credit card and just 1 meeting room booking per year, an MR member needs the same number of 50 nights for Plat as an SPG member. And the MR can still claim 1 night per 3k credit card spend... Worse if thd member was so inclined, he/she could complete 50 nights by booking another 5 meeting rooms. A basic meeting room for 1-2hrs is what $200-300? And valued as 10 nights?

But it’s probably because of all these freebie/cheapo MR night giveways that Marriott needed to impose a points threshold for lifetime status.

Still, even at 50 points earning nights a year, surely an MR Plat could still hit 2MM MR points at the end of 10 years?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dannybhoy

A number of SPG LTPs have calculated from our Master Statements that we have exceeded the 2MM MR points equivalent. That includes me who has only 528 SPG lifetime nights and who as non-US has no recourse to the points doping from co-branded cards!

Much has been said about how easy it is to attain annual SPG Gold or Plat through stays (10 or 25). But one forgets that doing so, especially at the bare minimum of 1-night stays, would result in taking 25 years to reach Lifetime Gold or 20 years to reach Lifetime Plat!

And since the intro of higher SPG Plat50/75/100, Plat lite 25 was good only for breakfast and room upgrades (suite upgrades without SNAs were at least for me noticeably tougher even as Plat50). An easy path to annual SPG Plat status but the benefits are more limited and terribly inefficient as a way to lifetime status.

Yes SPG allows credit for multiple (3?) rooms. But at least that requires butts in beds. Nothing like Marriott’s 15 nights for credit card plus 1 night per 3k spend, AND let’s not even talk about the 10 nights per meeting room booking! With the credit card and just 1 meeting room booking per year, an MR member needs the same number of 50 nights for Plat as an SPG member. And the MR can still claim 1 night per 3k credit card spend... Worse if thd member was so inclined, he/she could complete 50 nights by booking another 5 meeting rooms. A basic meeting room for 1-2hrs is what $200-300? And valued as 10 nights?

But it’s probably because of all these freebie/cheapo MR night giveways that Marriott needed to impose a points threshold for lifetime status.

Still, even at 50 points earning nights a year, surely an MR Plat could still hit 2MM MR points at the end of 10 years?
I can tell you I've have the Marriott card for a few years. So that's 7 X 15 nights. And I use is for all my Marriott purchases which have probably average 15000 a year for the past seven years (its higher the past few years). So that's another 35 nights. I had some rollovers the past few years as I've been staying 100 nights a year on average during the roll over period. So lets say that's another 150 nights. All together that's 250 nights or so ... of my 3000 nights. It's pretty inconsequential although it could be a boost for some people who were ill, had a child, and needed a little help maintaining status in a given year. On the SPG side, there are several people here who report already hitting their 100 nights because of the 3/1 room. I think I had a small meeting once -- where I had to have a meeting in a town with a courtyard as the only place at it was $300, plus another $75 for a coffee set up. Seriously, does anyone use their Marrioitt CC for any significant spend other than at Marriotts. There are two many better options out there.

While there are some of us on here who use the tools we've learned from FTers to get benefits from the programs, the credits cards on both sides, the occasional meetings, the 3/1 rooms, are really drops in the bucket. If Marriiott thought there was a lot of that, they wouldn't be doing much of this. Plus if you're getting status based on cards or meetings without staying at the hotel, who needs an ambassador!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I can tell you I've have the Marriott card for a few years. So that's 7 X 15 nights. And I use is for all my Marriott purchases which have probably average 15000 a year for the past seven years (its higher the past few years). So that's another 35 nights.
140 card-derived nights over 7 years? That would have brought me almost within range of LTP750. Maybe even hit LTP750 since I might have been incentivised to stay 75 nights a year over those 7 years!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
If anyone thinks that attaining 750 nights and 2MM MR points or attaining 500 nights and 10 years Platinum is easy, then they're just plain wrong. If anyone was clever enough to game the system to reach LT status then good for them but clearly the program rules allowed them to do so.

No one who designed either MR or SPG ever contemplated the need for those programs to ever merge so the fact that some members are now arguing as to which Plat status is bigger, badder or tougher is really a pointless and silly exercise. If Marriott decides that only its own LTPs are worthy of grandfathering into the new LTPPE then that's clearly a commercial decision that they've decided to take.

My sense is, ignoring the SPG LTP members who have also met the 750+ night status and the equivalent of 2MM MR points (666,667 SPG points) while also meeting the SPG LTP requirement of 10 nights Plat status would be commercially questionable but clearly I don't have access to the member information that Marriott does.

The SPG master statements provide fascinating information. Based on my own observations, I would venture to guess that most SPG LTPs with 750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points (plus the SPG LTP 10 years as Plat requirement) would have spent a minimum of USD100K over the course of their memberships (lets say that is about 11-12 years on average) and for those in North America, will have charged tens of thousands of dollars onto their affiliated SPG credit cards (which also yielded good revenue for Starwood).

All those facts combined would likely mean that an SPG LTP with 750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points has at least a similar commercial value/profile to Marriott as Marriott's own LTPs. In other words, I firmly believe that it would be hard to argue that a Marriott LTP is more important to Marriott's financial bottom line than an SPG LTP who has reached 750+ nights and earned the equivalent of 2MM MR points over the course of their members (while also hitting 10 years as a Plat member). If status isn't about a member's commercial value to a business, then I don't know what status purports to recognize.

If Marriott decides to grandfather one group and not the other, they will have done so with all the membership data available and affected members can then decide what commercial response they will pursue, if any.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Canada101
If anyone thinks that attaining 750 nights and 2MM MR points or attaining 500 nights and 10 years Platinum is easy, then they're just plain wrong. If anyone was clever enough to game the system to reach LT status then good for them but clearly the program rules allowed them to do so.

No one who designed either MR or SPG ever contemplated the need for those programs to ever merge so the fact that some members are now arguing as to which Plat status is bigger, badder or tougher is really a pointless and silly exercise. If Marriott decides that only its own LTPs are worthy of grandfathering into the new LTPPE then that's clearly a commercial decision that they've decided to take.

My sense is, ignoring the SPG LTP members who have also met the 750+ night status and the equivalent of 2MM MR points (666,667 SPG points) while also meeting the SPG LTP requirement of 10 nights Plat status would be commercially questionable but clearly I don't have access to the member information that Marriott does.

The SPG master statements provide fascinating information. Based on my own observations, I would venture to guess that most SPG LTPs with 750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points (plus the SPG LTP 10 years as Plat requirement) would have spent a minimum of USD100K over the course of their memberships (lets say that is about 11-12 years on average) and for those in North America, will have charged tens of thousands of dollars onto their affiliated SPG credit cards (which also yielded good revenue for Starwood).

All those facts combined would likely mean that an SPG LTP with 750+ nights and the equivalent of 2MM MR points has at least a similar commercial value/profile to Marriott as Marriott's own LTPs. In other words, I firmly believe that it would be hard to argue that a Marriott LTP is more important to Marriott's financial bottom line than an SPG LTP who has reached 750+ nights and earned the equivalent of 2MM MR points over the course of their members (while also hitting 10 years as a Plat member). If status isn't about a member's commercial value to a business, then I don't know what status purports to recognize.

If Marriott decides to grandfather one group and not the other, they will have done so with all the membership data available and affected members can then decide what commercial response they will pursue, if any.
I, a low 500ish SPG LTP, exceeded 2MM MR points eqv without credit card point dopage. The 750s with cards will easily have exceeded 2MM SPG points!
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We'll have to agree to disagree on both of those points.
SPG LT members have been loyal to SPG. Marriott LT members have been loyal to Marriott. There's been a lot of barking on this forum how SPG members were going to defect from the Marriott family after the two companies are fully merged - that's not exactly what I'd call loyal to Marriott.[/color]
[left]

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I left SPG in 2003 after researching LT status among hotel programs. There were two choices: Marriott and Hyatt. I chose to go to Marriott, abandoning multiple years as SPG Plat with 300+ hotel nights.
SPG is new to this LT status scheme - they started LT status on Feb 1, 2012. So up until Feb 1 2012, LT status was of no importance for SPG members. Now, only six years later, it's a huge problem that SPG members aren't getting offered LTPPE? That argument doesn't hold much water.

No it was based on how many nights were required to attain each LT status. The cutover maps out perfectly with annual nights required. 75+, 50-74, 25-49, 10-24. It was done extremely logically. The fact of the matter is that SPG only required 50 nights to achieve Plat. Marriott required 75 nights. It's very easy to understand how this decision was reached.

[color=#333333]

Marriott has not taken SPG members for granted. Marriott has been very generous with the cutover.
Marriott has definitely taken SPG members for granted. How is it fair that I will only receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status instead of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status when I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum member with (1) 879 SPG lifetime nights (actual nights), (2) $179,626 lifetime revenue spent at SPG properties, (3) 1.5 million Starpoints, (4) 112 lifetime nights with Marriott, and (5) 332,010 Marriott points.

Unless Marriott revises its policy, I will be moving my business elsewhere.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
***in your opinion*** (and frankly wrong for no shortage of travelers).

I would have made Marriott LTP in ~6 years had the same rules been used w/SPG. CC nights, rollover nights...quite easy. But I am now entering year 9 of Plat so not yet LTP.

I think most SPG folks are also amazed that the Marriott spend was only 2MM points...I doubled that (converted) w/650 paid nights, not even including a single AmEx point. $210 ADR, which is above average but not exactly StR/R-C territory on average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.