Wiki Posts
Search

Buying status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, SPG
Buying status?

Is it legal to sell SPG status like this guy on ebay is doing ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPG-Marriot...8AAOSwaLJbTjNX
How is this never removed? I've seen stuff like this on ebay for months now...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:39 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I don't even know how you can buy Plat status. I don't know any legit way to gift someone status.

Did the guy hack the system and so can just upgrade someone? Or if the whole thing a fraud...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Probably signs the buyer up for a Platinum challenge...
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Is it possible to buy or transfer SNA’s?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JinSda
Is it legal to sell SPG status like this guy on ebay is doing ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPG-Marriot...8AAOSwaLJbTjNX
How is this never removed? I've seen stuff like this on ebay for months now...
This is by no means "legal" and I see so many red flags with the ad (language, pricing, timing). There are many scams out there and the buyer needs to beware. There was one guy that was selling a write up how to use the programs to get status, something that was clearly available to anyone willing to do a bit of reading. I am sure if you ask Starwood, they will tell you it's not valid and may take efforts to shut it down. Unfortunately, it will probably pop up somewhere else quickly.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Is it possible to buy or transfer SNA’s?
No, SNAs require the member to be present. Now, will the property check? Maybe not. Will the "seller" request access to your CC? Expect a lot of bogus charges and since your volunteered your account info may not be covered as theft.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, SNAs require the member to be present. Now, will the property check? Maybe not. Will the "seller" request access to your CC? Expect a lot of bogus charges and since your volunteered your account info may not be covered as theft.
thank you for the info
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Watergate
Perhaps a shady hotel employee willing to process the check-in as if you were there?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:55 am

How are sellers actually doing this? Is it a challenge or what? :/

Another listing with 100+ sold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPG-Marriot...QAAOSwgFJa8jdw
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smithyr4
How are sellers actually doing this? Is it a challenge or what? :/

Another listing with 100+ sold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPG-Marriot...QAAOSwgFJa8jdw
There are many that will fall for such an offer. Also, keep in mind that 100+ sold could be fabricated too (buying their own product?). Now is the right time to be pulling this type of stunt as the MR staff is busy getting ready for the merge of the programs. Heaven only knows what will happen to accounts created through this process. MPG would have every right to shut them down and leave the member up the creek.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
My best guess is that they just mass-crack accounts, single out plat50’s who didn’t select their reward and then redeem the reward for guest gold pass on the cracked account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.