Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Luxury AMEX vs. Hilton Aspire AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Luxury AMEX vs. Hilton Aspire AMEX

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by christianj
Actually with the Amex EDP you can get more HH points for grocery spend than you can with any HH cards. $1 grocery spend on EDP = 3 x 1.5 = 4.5 Amex points = 9 Hilton Honors points (vs 6 with the HH card directly).
I am not very familiar with membership rewards. Is that how it really works? My reading of the terms and conditions led me to believe you would get 3.5 AmEx points per dollar (for the first $6,000, assuming 30+ purchases per month). 1 pt for the purchase, an extra .5 pts for the 30 per month bonus, and 2 extra pts for grocery.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pinniped
As for grocery/gas/restaurant, I will confess that I've never really optimized around bonus categories. I have enough travel/restaurant spending that I should probably factor that in this summer as I overhaul what's in my wallet.
Yeah, just when I though I had a pretty good plan, SPG goes and changes the game. It is all very confusing. My wife has trouble remembering which card to use when, and we only have 3, albeit one changes bonus categories every 3 months.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I am not very familiar with membership rewards. Is that how it really works? My reading of the terms and conditions led me to believe you would get 3.5 AmEx points per dollar (for the first $6,000, assuming 30+ purchases per month). 1 pt for the purchase, an extra .5 pts for the 30 per month bonus, and 2 extra pts for grocery.
If you do the 30 transactions a month you get the 50% bonus! The bonus applied to the 3 Amex points per $1 at grocery stores gives you 4.5 Amex Membership Rewards points (3 x 1.5). If you transfer Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors the transfer rate is 1 to 2 so essentially 4.5 to 9. It does only apply to the first $6000 in spend but that equates to 18,000 extra Hilton Honors points for the same spend if you use the EDP and spend that much on groceries. Hope that explains it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.