Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Goodbye, Gold guarantee 4pm late check out? Will miss you..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye, Gold guarantee 4pm late check out? Will miss you..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Before the change: "How dare you make me wait till 5pm to check in to the room I've paid for! This is an outrage!"

After the change: "How dare you take away my late checkout! This is an outrage!"
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:14 pm

Currently at resorts, if they offer late check-out for a fee, 4pm late check-out must be granted free of charge to SPG Gold or Plat.

I got 4pm once at Westin turtle Bay.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Before the change: "How dare you make me wait till 5pm to check in to the room I've paid for! This is an outrage!"

After the change: "How dare you take away my late checkout! This is an outrage!"
Point taken, yurtripper, but I feel that late check-outs, while great, were open to a lot of abuse.

A few times recently, I arrived at a Starwood hotel at 1 pm (informed hotel of early arrival well in advance) and was told that I had been upgraded to a suite but the Plats staying there were checking out only at 4 pm, so they would call me as soon as the suite was ready. OK fair enough, it's the other side of the coin so I worked in my temporary entry-level room, to allow the hotel some time to clean the suite out after the Plats left. No call. I call the reception at 5.30. Sorry sir, suite not ready, guests still there. Call again at 6.15? Same. Call again at 6.45? Guests finally out and we are cleaning the suite, we will call you when it's ready.

I only ended up getting my suite well after 7pm. In Asia, the problem is more acute because the service culture means that staff would never dare to evict a guest from their room or even dare to ask, especially if the guests were entitled DYKWIA Plat types.

If the only effect of this change is that management turns its attention to this issue, and actually starts to enforce the rules, then I'm all for it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OT, but in Asia I've seen late leaving hotel guests be charged for another night or at least 50% automatically when they checked out only a few (maybe ten) minutes late.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
It now seems that the SPG Gold to Starriott Gold downgrade will hit in August (Marriott has confirmed that there won't be a "taste of Platinum" through the SPG Gold -> Marriott Rewards Gold -> Starriott Platinum path) and we will be losing our late checkout guarantee even before the end of this program year. :-(
Old May 9, 2018, 2:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CKDGM
It now seems that the SPG Gold to Starriott Gold downgrade will hit in August (Marriott has confirmed that there won't be a "taste of Platinum" through the SPG Gold -> Marriott Rewards Gold -> Starriott Platinum path) and we will be losing our late checkout guarantee even before the end of this program year. :-(
And that is the part of the transition I'm finding fairly disingenuous... they are actually changing (for the worse) a key benefit in the middle of the year, which I'd argue at least some people relied on there being for the full 2018 calendar year when they qualified for SPG Gold in 2017. For the most part, trustworthy loyalty programs have in the past announced changes to benefits in advance, but have not implemented them until the following calendar year.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dw
And that is the part of the transition I'm finding fairly disingenuous... they are actually changing (for the worse) a key benefit in the middle of the year, which I'd argue at least some people relied on there being for the full 2018 calendar year when they qualified for SPG Gold in 2017. For the most part, trustworthy loyalty programs have in the past announced changes to benefits in advance, but have not implemented them until the following calendar year.
I think that comment makes the point. The trust is simply gone.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by khkchan
Currently at resorts, if they offer late check-out for a fee, 4pm late check-out must be granted free of charge to SPG Gold or Plat.

I got 4pm once at Westin turtle Bay.
how can I tell which hotel is resort or not. are hotels I Bali all consider resort?

I just checkin at fairfield legian and I was told they can only give me 2pm late check out. I thought this is a new benefit as platinum.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by lingua101
how can I tell which hotel is resort or not. are hotels I Bali all consider resort?

I just checkin at fairfield legian and I was told they can only give me 2pm late check out. I thought this is a new benefit as platinum.
OK it has sorted out
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by czj48
I think that comment makes the point. The trust is simply gone.
The “new”program will reflect Marriott’s size and reach, which comes from eliminating competitors who might try a bit harder to earn and keep your custom.

I guess the corporate retort is that your inflated points can now be used in many more locations that you would never consider visiting.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Allegedly a lawsuit is coming about the 4PM checkout - not for the regular SPG gold but Lifetime Gold. They can change their T&C at anytime and not honor the benefits for the subsequent year, but Lifetime status, since it's advertised, is a whole new animal.

Popcorn ready.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by neuro0
No more SPG for me too. I will stay at Hyatt if possible now since my Hyatt status will get me guaranteed 2pm check out.
Im LTG based in Asia and agreed with new Gold status are totally useless and sure Marriot will gift to any kind of credit card or Frequent-flyer programs members in the future. Am ready to move to Hilton or Accor when the time comes
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Allegedly a lawsuit is coming about the 4PM checkout - not for the regular SPG gold but Lifetime Gold. They can change their T&C at anytime and not honor the benefits for the subsequent year, but Lifetime status, since it's advertised, is a whole new animal.

Popcorn ready.
Except the benefits for Lifetime Gold is just Gold each year without having to requal, and the latter perks are still subject to change. I'm a bit surprised that the Gold late checkout is 2pm on availability and not guaranteed 2pm..
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yvr76
Except the benefits for Lifetime Gold is just Gold each year without having to requal, and the latter perks are still subject to change. I'm a bit surprised that the Gold late checkout is 2pm on availability and not guaranteed 2pm..
Yup and not to mention that the status was earned with SPG which is going to cease to exist.

And even Marriott Platinum had no guaranteed late checkout prior to the Starwood acquisition. So Gold in the new program is essentially getting the same late checkout benefit that MR Platinums had not too long ago.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The significant downgrade to "upon availability" sucks big time. Given that there are Platinum and many more levels above that, I can see how Starriott thinks Gold members are just plain old peasants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.