Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:28 pm

Everyone that was just bumped to the new Platinum should remain until Jan 2019. It is in 2019 that 2018 SPG Gold will not keep the new Platinum which I think is what is and had a few months ago caused the confusion.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
My data point fwiw;-
SPG LTG who linked many months ago to Marriott Gold, with very little SPG stays YTD and no stays at Marriot YTD ..... remained Marriott Gold.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:25 am

Gold Lifetime qualification under existing SPG criteria.

I currently stand at 244 nights / 8 years status in SPG (55 nights / 5 yrs status in MR). For rest of '18, current plan is to stay at least another 5 nights (4 of which are reward nights) at legacy SPG properties and 5 paid nights at legacy M properties. Goal is to reach LT Gold under existing SPG criteria before Dec 31, 2018.

two Q (I did a search of the forum but could not find a clear answer):

- To qualify under existing SPG criteria until end of '18 for LFG (250 nights / 5 yrs status), do I need to stay at SPG-legacy properties or will nights at legacy M properties also count ? If the former, I need 1 more SPG legacy property night (np).
- Should I hold off combining accounts until I fulfill the SPG criteria for LFG ? If yes, I assume the nights in M properties would not count to reach the 250 nights requirement (if they count at all, see Q1)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Only SPG brands count and no it doesn’t matter when you combine the accounts.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:01 am

thx !
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
My status was platinum a few hours ago, but now shows gold
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Suite upgrades

Anyone having issues trying to use their suite upgrades ? Ive tried to apply them to an upcoming stay but I keep getting booted out of the website to the login page.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Enigma368
My status was platinum a few hours ago, but now shows gold
Same here. It was too good to be true.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
I have no idea how the new status count: From the beginning of 2018 to now, I have 53 nights at SPG hotels (52 paid + 1 award), and the new system is showing me there is only 33 nights this year

Also, I believe I've just achieved Lifetime Gold (see below), but the website didn't mention about it.

Your lifetime statistics
Nights: 270
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 5
Years as Gold or Platinum: 5
Years as Platinum: 3
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nfldflyer
Anyone having issues trying to use their suite upgrades ? Ive tried to apply them to an upcoming stay but I keep getting booted out of the website to the login page.
Same issue
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fakeman
I have no idea how the new status count: From the beginning of 2018 to now, I have 53 nights at SPG hotels (52 paid + 1 award), and the new system is showing me there is only 33 nights this year
Did you do 20 of those nights between 7/18-8/18? Because no SPG stays are showing for "us" during that time period (been widely reported).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Did you do 20 of those nights between 7/18-8/18? Because no SPG stays are showing for "us" during that time period (been widely reported).
Oh yes, I stayed most of July, and checked out at 3 Aug, so this is a known system bug?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakeman
Oh yes, I stayed most of July, and checked out at 3 Aug, so this is a known system bug?
Yes. Another poster said it should be showing up by Thu or Fri.

I for one will not be combining until all my SPG info is updated...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by alanslegal
My data point fwiw;-
SPG LTG who linked many months ago to Marriott Gold, with very little SPG stays YTD and no stays at Marriot YTD ..... remained Marriott Gold.
Linking did not trigger your accounts to be combined. All linking bought us was the ability to get status matched until they merged the program and to move points back and forth. With the merge, you now have two accounts, one under your MR number and another for SPG with a new number. Once you combine your accounts you will have one account with numbers from both. There are still issues with getting the data corrected so expect some anomalies at first.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I wish this thread header to be updated. It's been proven that one can make platinum after August 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.