Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe Starriott should have just called everything Elite 25, Elite50, Elite75, and Elite100 or something like Elite100Plus to designate the revenue requirement, at least in the interim. That might have ended some of the arguments and confusion.
Yes, trying to use existing names to determine future status will just confuse many. Taking the numbers from each account and adding them together to determine new status would be much more straight forward.
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes excellent idea. Also I was hoping they changed the name of PP to Diamond since Globalist was already taken by Hyatt.
Isn't Diamond taken by many more programs? I don't really care about the names, just very hard core definitions of what it takes to get there and nothing conflicting like current status since the earning requirements don't match. A common denominator such as a night is the same across all programs.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
What rules were there to play by? SPG Gold temporarily matched to old MR Gold, despite it being drastically easier to qualify as an SPG gold (10 stays or 25 nights) than Marriott's requirement for old Gold. It was always a temporary match. You're free to move your stay activity. If MR had grandfathered SPG Gold to the new platinum, then anyone who hit the 25 night criteria in MR would be angry because they would see the SPG elites being treated better. Then Marriott would give in and give them plat for the rest of the program year, and then suite upgrades (between SNAs and complimentary) would be impossible to get and the lounges would be ridiculously overcrowded.
Originally Posted by phltraveler

It was far easier to hit 25 nights in MR because the credit card gave you fifteen, plus an extra night for every $3,000 moved across the card - even with just the 15 base nights, a person only needs 10 butt-in-bed nights to hit 25 nights in legacy MR. This would greatly diminish the elite experience through the end of February 2019 at a minimum. Anyone with a credit card (15 nights) who booked one Marriott meeting (less than $100, 10 elite night credit) whether as a legitimate meeting or a way to game the system could buyup to 25 nights in legacy MR for less than $200 ($85 credit card annual fee 15 nights + less than $100 for one meeting 10 elite nights).

I can understand changing your stay patterns because you thought you were getting free breakfast and now effective August 1st, you won't unless you hit 50 nights in combined activity. I also agree with others in the thread that expecting some grace period is not unusual. However, I don't see a workable solution to this issue because you're going to end up with a larger number of ticked off MR elites if as little as 10 nights (10 one night stays) gets SPG elites new Plat come August first and meanwhile MR members have to stay 5x that (or 3.5x with 15 credit card nights). And then if Marriott caved and grandfathered the MR members in at 25 nights, then with credit card nights that's as little as 10 butt in bed nights, meaning the new plat tier through Feb 2019 would be absolutely massive.

The rules Marriott established; the published benefits at the time of booking. It's no different than booking a suite and then being later told that the room is not a suite but a standard room.

A reasonable solution would have been to make the changes for reservations made after a given date or changes effective end of program year (a la the airlines).

It's irrelevant to me that SPG Gold mapping to MR Gold may be unfair to others and more generous to others as that is not part of my decision making process. The discussion about fair vs unfair is for Marriott to determine the rules.
Marriott sets the rules and I simply play by them. Tell me what I can get for how much and I'll decide accordingly. For those MR or SPG elites that are/were ticked off for Marriott's overly generous gift to SPG Golds, they can change their stay patterns too.
phltraveler likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; May 11, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Troopers

The rules Marriott established; the published benefits at the time of booking. A reasonable solution would have been to make the changes for reservations made after a given date or changes effective end of program year (a la the airlines).

It's irrelevant to me that SPG Gold mapping to MR Gold may be unfair to others and more generous to others as that is not part of my decision making process. It is what is.
The discussion about fair vs unfair is for Marriott to determine the rules; I simply play by them. Tell me what I can get for how much and I'll decide accordingly. For those MR or SPG elites that are/were ticked off for Marriott's overly generous gift to SPG Golds, they can change their stay patterns too.
There are always winners and losers in any “fair” program change. Of course I hoped for best but I think the actual outcome is reasonable. It may be easier for Airlines to manage changes based on time of booking, it would be impossible for all the front desk staff since most benefits are subject to availability and require a person to deliver it. Unlike a few that can be hard coded in the system.

You should (and we all should) rebook your stays based on what’s best for you. That’s just the reality of this game. The only way to get better benefits is through increased competition.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
There are always winners and losers in any “fair” program change. Of course I hoped for best but I think the actual outcome is reasonable. It may be easier for Airlines to manage changes based on time of booking, it would be impossible for all the front desk staff since most benefits are subject to availability and require a person to deliver it. Unlike a few that can be hard coded in the system.
I understand the practicality of managing changes based on time of booking but that's Marriott problem to solve. If they can't solve the problem, then Marriott needs to offer a different reasonable solution that they can implement.

You should (and we all should) rebook your stays based on what’s best for you. That’s just the reality of this game. The only way to get better benefits is through increased competition.
Absolutely, and I was able to cancel a pre-paid non refundable reservation without penalty.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SP03

Issue easily managed, FDC has a list of benefits as stated in pre and post merger program, if booking was done before accounts merged (or simply 8/1) then legacy benefits are in play. If after, then new benefits are in play (although I do think if you you choose NOT to merge your accounts, then only the legacy benefits should apply). We basically have three programs (four if you count RC).
Old May 11, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The rules Marriott established; the published benefits at the time of booking. It's no different than booking a suite and then being later told that the room is not a suite but a standard room.
I'm going to say that it's slightly different while agreeing with the overwhelming majority of your point. Room is a room is a room on a ship or not. However, if you made a particular booking based on the benefits suite available, it could change your decision for valid reasons. I only stayed at certain SPG properties because Plat got free parking (vs. generally paid). Breakfast is a huge deal to me too.

Some people book a year out (I think the max under MR reservations is 350 days generally, but it depends on the property - they can make inventory available when they want).

I think current status impacts more people than past status (having a prior booking as Hertz GM at time of booking.... when I had president's club at the time of rental and got none of the benefits because status considered was status at time of reservation was infuriating for me).

A reasonable solution would have been to make the changes for reservations made after a given date or changes effective end of program year (a la the airlines).

Even then people might book on points. I do agree though, the midyear change is baffling. I think MR is doing it to split from a big bang approach (IT merger AND then rule changes) into stages (stage 1 is to unify the rewards IT and points, second stage is to merge accounts, third stage is to enforce new rules for elite qualification). It reduces the amount that can break at once (and the potential "worst case scenario" from an IT perspective). Or maybe just to thin the herd. Or both.

It's irrelevant to me that SPG Gold mapping to MR Gold may be unfair to others and more generous to others as that is not part of my decision making process. The discussion about fair vs unfair is for Marriott to determine the rules. Marriott sets the rules and I simply play by them. Tell me what I can get for how much and I'll decide accordingly. For those MR or SPG elites that are/were ticked off for Marriott's overly generous gift to SPG Golds, they can change their stay patterns too.
I totally agree. I had some bad service recently from a credit card company (they kept denying an extended warranty claim). When I involved the relevant state agency they refused to admit I was right and snidely remarked that they were paying the extended warranty benefit due to my "protracted claims process" while backhandedly mentioning on what a greedy person I was because "the benefit was offered for free".

Whether or not it's considered generous or not historically, you're free to measure your response and stay where it makes the most sense for you. I can't argue for any reason to do otherwise.

When my US Bank Cash+ visa was earning 5% cashback + $25 Visa Gift Card for every $100 I redeemed uncapped on rental car and hotel spend, I was clearing ~$200 a month in cashback. Eventually they limited that (killing some categories and capping it to $1500 in eligible spend per quarter) and I switched to an MR Visa because it was a better deal. I'm not mad at US Bank (they took a huge bath over that one), but when it stopped being the most rewarding card for my spend categories, I switched.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7

SPG plt (25 stays or 50 nights) will be new program plt
SPG plt (75 nights) will be new program plt premier
SPG plt 100 nights will be new program plt premier with ambassador
In honor of Mothers Day tomorrow and I have a few minutes right now I am going to try and clear this up one more time. If before Aug 1 2018 you have the current MR Gold status (no matter how attained) valid until Feb 28 2019 you will be mapped to the new Platinum 50 until Feb 28 2019 in Aug 2018 if they start the new tiers as planned. If you do not have the current MR Gold before Aug 1 2018 (assumed new tiers start date) you will need 50 nights to earn the new Platinum 50 this year and moving forward. Does this description make it clear?
Old May 12, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
In honor of Mothers Day tomorrow and I have a few minutes right now I am going to try and clear this up one more time. If before Aug 1 2018 you have the current MR Gold status (no matter how attained) valid until Feb 28 2019 you will be mapped to the new Platinum 50 until Feb 28 2019 in Aug 2018 if they start the new tiers as planned. If you do not have the current MR Gold before Aug 1 2018 (assumed new tiers start date) you will need 50 nights to earn the new Platinum 50 this year and moving forward. Does this description make it clear?
Your statement "have the current MR Gold status (no matter how attained)" is inaccurate. If you have MR Gold only by virtue of a status match from qualifying for SPG Gold, you will be Gold in the new program. The Lurker confirmed this on Tuesday. The non-US execs who claimed otherwise were incorrect. If your MR Gold was attained from anything that did not involve a status match from SPG you should be Plat50 in the new program.

ADDED: Here is the quote from members.Marriott and the chart referenced can be found here:
  • Existing Elite members will continue to be Elite and will achieve a new, but similar, tier level in August. Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching. See chart below for August status.
longtimeflyin likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 12, 2018 at 3:00 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... and let's not forget you have until the end of the year to obtain a higher MR status (regular or LT) with nights at MR properties. If you should earn a higher status under MPG rules then that should come into play once you merge your account(s) sometime after Aug 1.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
^ yep good point. I'm spg mapped to Mgold... but found my easy fix: booked a week vacation in SFLa at a residence inn early August which will get me to combined 50 almost problem solved ( might need one more stay? )

And, overall I think this'll be good! IMHO will set Marriott apart as only real loyalty as yes while will be less people qualifying since really will need to qualify those who do will actually get "benefits" as let's compare

IHG 75 nights or 75,000 points gets no breakfast no club and late checkout "subject to availability" likewise with room upgrades... meh

OR

Hilton 30 stays or 60 nights gets breakfast and late checkout "subject"... again meh but little better

vs

guaranteed 4pm checkout & breakfast/club with consistent room upgrades ( which I expect will get better)

No brainer and nice to meet you Marriott!!! OK yes, I'll admit it 4pm checkout on prior SPG for just 10 stays was really great really really great and I'd love to keep that, but it was a small footprint and I get it that need to give a little more of my loyalty to get 4pm throughout now huge footprint of hotels...

I do agree that it would have been better to do the swap at end of year as while it really won't effect me I technically will be loosing my 4pm benefits for W/Westins/Sheratons after August... I never earned that benefit for Marriott hotels and have used a few times before so I geuss that balancr it??? Again probably would've been better to do end of year...
But, I just don't get the complaining about loosing breakfast / club as if you were spg gold in old program you didn't have that benefit with gold so I geuss really complaining about benefit wanted as if had 50 in 2017 or get 50 in 2018 you do get the benefit!

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; May 13, 2018 at 12:23 am
Old May 14, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Your statement "have the current MR Gold status (no matter how attained)" is inaccurate. If you have MR Gold only by virtue of a status match from qualifying for SPG Gold, you will be Gold in the new program. The Lurker confirmed this on Tuesday. The non-US execs who claimed otherwise were incorrect. If your MR Gold was attained from anything that did not involve a status match from SPG you should be Plat50 in the new program.

ADDED: Here is the quote from members.Marriott and the chart referenced can be found here:
Not just non-US execs. Bob Behrens, the VP of Marriott Rewards, also told people that they would get Platinum as long as their accounts were matched (see the Frequent Miler blog). Flueck stated that Behrens was the go-to guy for those who had detailed questions on the program rollout.
The quote you reference was added several weeks after the announcement, specifically in order to clarify the contradictory information in the conversion table and the conflicting statements from various Marriott execs.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It was clear. The marketing materials were clear. A day after the April announcement the head of the loyalty program ran through examples in the TPG interview. The recent answer confirmed what was obvious from the start. If you look back at the posts, many people consistently pointed out the clarity from the start while there were a few SPG loyalists that created confusion out of clarity by engaging in some willful blindness and wishful thinking. I could say it is confusing whether rain is wet, but my statement hardly creates confusion of that obvious fact.

Although there is no evidence Marriott made any attempt to change this policy, even if they did, it was obviously shot down as wrong.
The marketing materials were not clear. There was a contradiction between the status conversion tables and ultimately they had to insert specific wording alongside the table to clarify the situation (as well as update the FAQ).

And even if it seems clear now, perhaps you can explain why Marriott is STILL sending out emails to Amex Plat holders, telling them they will have Platinum status from August through to January 2019.
This an email my partner received 2 days ago (May 12), in response to a query about whether she will retain lounge access in August (SPG Gold matched to Marriott Gold).

“Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

In August 2018 since your Marriott Rewards account is current Gold Elite status your account will be upgraded to Platinum Elite status through January 2019. In order to have the Platinum Elite status for the rest of 2019 you will need to have 50 nights on or before December 31, 2018 between your Marriott Rewards account and your SPG account.

So since your account will be moved to Platinum Elite status in August 2018 you will still have access to the lounge for your stays.”
All very clear!
Old May 14, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
All very clear!
FWIW, email reservation confirmations still contain the following:

"Enjoy these Gold Benefits* during your stay. Guaranteed lounge access for you and a guest. Free continental breakfast for member plus one guest daily."

*Benefits vary by brand and hotel. Please see full terms and conditions."

No mention of changes come Aug 1.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Yikes. Was coming to check (what I thought) was a simple question but see now that simple it is not....

Have SPG Lifetime Gold but <50 nights and looking at a Marriott holiday booking for a week in August. Lack of lounge access would push us to look at other options and based on this thread the answer to "will we have lounge access" seems to be yes/no/maybe.

Is there a definitively answer? (Reservation would be for Aug 9th for 9 or 10 days if that makes any difference).
Old May 15, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Technically no, your lounge access is per your status level at the time of the stay. Many hotels will allow you access if your status was downgraded after booking but there is no requirement to do so. Non-US hotels tend to be more lenient on this. Your best bet is to reach out to the hotel now to ask. IME, the hotel will often grant access, note your reservation and send a confirmation email. I know someone in that boat right now with a non-US historic Starwood hotel who got an email like that from the property manager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.