Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 9:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Same position, will be cancelling two Marriott reservations in August, moving myself to a nearby Conrad property.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:15 pm

I have some stays planned for late August. Great to get some clarification. Now I can book accordingly.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ducky9
I have some stays planned for late August. Great to get some clarification. Now I can book accordingly.
Not that Marriott will care but I’ve got 8 nights booked for later in the year that I’ll now probably have to move to Hilton or Shangri-La where my status will get me free breakfast and late checkout.

i understand why they’ve done it but leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth to do it mid year with relatively little notice.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy

Not that Marriott will care but I’ve got 8 nights booked for later in the year that I’ll now probably have to move to Hilton or Shangri-La where my status will get me free breakfast and late checkout.

i understand why they’ve done it but leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth to do it mid year with relatively little notice.
Yup I actually started trip planning once I heard about the merging, and how I may get free brekkie and nice upgrade later this year. Our annual big vacation is in November and got Christmas trip too. Like I said, 36 nights in total but now you bet I’m going to move all the paid JW Marriott and W nights to Hyatt and Hilton. I will keep my Ritz and St Regis bookings since those are on points.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Yep, another cancelling here for stays in September and October given the removal of benefits. I didn't expect to keep the Marriott Gold benefits long term given I'm not a big stayer, but taking the benefits away mid-year is harsh.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
same here switching my post august stays to hilton..
Old May 10, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Same here. I’ve got 4 stays coming up Aug through Oct and will cancel in favor of Hilton. I think the change is fair but not with only three months notice. They should at minimum honor the status at the time of booking.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
We've all heard the arguments for and against this issue many times now, but I have to say I'm surprised that Marriott didn't think it was worth preserving the goodwill of SPG Golds by allowing them to maintain benefits till year end, especially as they've decided to do an about turn and show mercy for SPG LTPs (w/ 750 nights). With the SPG LTPs the original wording specifically precluded them from LTPP, but with the SPG Golds the situation was ambiguous (they've now added a specific disclaimer to the website to remove the ambiguity).

People might argue that SPG Golds were being gifted lounge access and breakfast as part of the pre-merger linkage but they will now be losing a key defined benefit of their original status - guaranteed 4PM checkout - during the middle of the year.

So showing mercy and goodwill to SPG LTPs while taking away a key benefit from Golds seems a strange way of doing things. It's not the downgrade from next year I'm troubled by - it's nuking benefits mid-year at SPG properties.
Disclaimer: Marriott Plat (matched to SPG) so no skin in this game,
Old May 10, 2018, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's too bad that it would be too complicated and inconsistent to give SPG Golds the guaranteed 4 pm checkout on existing reservations through the end of the year. It's been hard enough to convince hotels to train their front desk staff that this is a guaranteed elite benefit.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's too bad that it would be too complicated and inconsistent to give SPG Golds the guaranteed 4 pm checkout on existing reservations through the end of the year. It's been hard enough to convince hotels to train their front desk staff that this is a guaranteed elite benefit.
I agree consistency in the old program was hard enough, but since the properties have visibility to when the booking occured, simply stating those before August 1st get the benefit should be easy enough. Yes, we may need to push back if denied, but that is the fate of a program member.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've also got some Sheraton reservations that I made months ago for Aug-Nov with the assumption I'd get lounge access with my SPG Amex Biz card. I'm going to cancel those, too, and move over to Hilton.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Starwood side has definitely been better than the Marriott side, since the 4 pm benefit has been around for so long... but I’m curious to see how this is going to play out once we move to 2 pm, subject to availability.

Before the merger, when Marriott elites supposedly had “priority late checkout” but subject to availability, it was frequently a challenge at US properties, and frequently even a checkout time of 1 pm was made to seem generous by full service properties. Many select service properties would just flat out deny it.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yurtripper
We've all heard the arguments for and against this issue many times now, but I have to say I'm surprised that Marriott didn't think it was worth preserving the goodwill of SPG Golds by allowing them to maintain benefits till year end, especially as they've decided to do an about turn and show mercy for SPG LTPs (w/ 750 nights). With the SPG LTPs the original wording specifically precluded them from LTPP, but with the SPG Golds the situation was ambiguous (they've now added a specific disclaimer to the website to remove the ambiguity).

People might argue that SPG Golds were being gifted lounge access and breakfast as part of the pre-merger linkage but they will now be losing a key defined benefit of their original status - guaranteed 4PM checkout - during the middle of the year.

So showing mercy and goodwill to SPG LTPs while taking away a key benefit from Golds seems a strange way of doing things. It's not the downgrade from next year I'm troubled by - it's nuking benefits mid-year at SPG properties.
Disclaimer: Marriott Plat (matched to SPG) so no skin in this game,
I don’t really understand what the goodwill will generate. The people have very clearly stated that they will move stays away from Marriott after August 1 because breakfast is no longer included. Won’t this happen next year if they had extended benefits for a couple of months? The people who make these comments here will not stay at Marriott despite not getting breakfast (when free breakfast is available else) because of good will.

As someone with Amex platinum, Am I happy with this change? No. But I will continue to make decisions based how the best value at the time. I expect the companies do the same
Old May 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SP03
I don’t really understand what the goodwill will generate. The people have very clearly stated that they will move stays away from Marriott after August 1 because breakfast is no longer included. Won’t this happen next year if they had extended benefits for a couple of months? The people who make these comments here will not stay at Marriott despite not getting breakfast (when free breakfast is available else) because of good will.

As someone with Amex platinum, Am I happy with this change? No. But I will continue to make decisions based how the best value at the time. I expect the companies do the same

Perhaps it doesn't generate goodwill but rather, it doesn't leave a sour taste in people's mouth. Marriott moved the goal posts mid game after I made purchasing decisions based on rules that they set...so that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Had Marriott played by the rules (SPG Gold > new Marriottt Plat through program calendar year), I would consider a Marriott stay over another property all things being equal. But they didn't so I rather pay someone else's mortgage (that doesn't implement poor customer policies).
Old May 10, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Clearly Marriott thinks that the value proposition of saving money from taking away Gold benefits (i.e. breakfast) outweighs the loss in hotel bookings during that interim period - that's their business decision. However, what makes people stay loyal to a certain chain are those goodwill gestures when they provide nicer than expected upgrades or give their members the benefit of the doubt in these situations. Even though this issue is a relatively small and obscure part of their rewards program, it shows that Marriott does not care for my business so I have no reason to prioritize Marriott in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.