Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Troopers
To add more confusion, Frequent Miler attended the announcement and asked VP of MR Bob Behrens:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...-announcement/
The head of the program who created the new rules is on a released video explaining in detail at least twice that an SPG Gold will become Gold in the new program regardless of any Marriott Status Match. He explains why the decision was made and walks through the very example of a present SPG Gold with Marriott Status Match. If you choose to believe some blogger who says he talked to some Marriott employee who did not set the program parameters that is your prerogative but don't expect that you will be Plat come Aug 1. Marriott might change the rule, unlikely, but as the program stands now the sole arbiter who set the rules states status will be determined by present earned status regardless of any status match.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
They need to clarify this in official terms on their (Marriott's and SPG's) websites. Period.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO as a general observation, the blogs and press have done a horrible job of covering this overall announcement in terms of especially the summaries as well as the analysis. I've noticed lots of places where the reported "facts" are simply wrong in that they make an incorrect statement that clearly contradicts the material on the members website.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Everyone needs to go to the source and read it carefully, including footnotes and links. Don't believe what you read elsewhere, with the exception of what our Starwood Lurker(s) post on FT in response to some of the detailed questions not directly covered on the new website.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sound like Marriott realigns these comp benefit based on the night requirement.

I am a SPG Gold through AMEX Platinum, so I will remain as a Gold (the status level equivalent to 25 nights). Sure.

I am also a Marriott Gold through UA, but based on everything I read/watch so far, I should be elevated to Marriott Platinum (the status level equivalent to 50 nights).

So in the new program - I will be Gold and Platinum? This will be interesting...

Why don't I simply get a Platinum Premier instead
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gold + Platinum = Bronze? Brass?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by garykung
So in the new program - I will be Gold and Platinum? This will be interesting...
This is addressed in the Q&A video. If you have status in both programs the higher or the two will honored, although matched status from one program to the other will not be considered. In that case, the status earned originally will be considered, not the matched status.
Horace and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Why does this need a thread??
Given how this thread and the ensuing discussions turned out...it speaks for itself.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Why does this need a thread? The levels in the new program are basically the same levels SPG uses now so the conversion is easy. Why would somebody that only qualified for Gold with SPG think they are entitled to Platinum status?
Because it isn't tat easy
SPG Gold > new Gold
Marriott Gold > new Platinum
and as SGP Gold = Marriott Gold (match) right now it should be
SPG Gold = Marriott Gold > new Platinum
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Because it isn't tat easy
SPG Gold > new Gold
Marriott Gold > new Platinum
and as SGP Gold = Marriott Gold (match) right now it should be
SPG Gold = Marriott Gold > new Platinum
Except the head of the Marriott SVP in charge of the program has made it very clear in the tape release yesterday that it does not work that way.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Except the head of the Marriott SVP in charge of the program has made it very clear in the tape release yesterday that it does not work that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkgZWlfaEIg
Exactly. It is very simple. Either way they will be Gold. The partnership details with UA will be updated to match to Gold in the new program which will eliminate any question. They are not going to give away Platinum to a random UA person that hasn't done enough nights to qualify for Platinum and why would they? That would make absolutely no sense.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by CJKatl
When we reconvened at a Rag’n’Bone Man private gig last night (as you do) Marriott’s European VP of loyalty confirmed that any Amex Platinum member who has matched their SPG Gold to Marriott Gold will become ‘Merged Scheme’ Platinum until the end of 2018.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...ing-yesterday/
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
When we reconvened at a Rag’n’Bone Man private gig last night (as you do) Marriott’s European VP of loyalty confirmed that any Amex Platinum member who has matched their SPG Gold to Marriott Gold will become ‘Merged Scheme’ Platinum until the end of 2018.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...ing-yesterday/
I believe this to be correct except to say Dec 31 2018 minimum. Probably until Feb 28 2019
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Why does this need a thread? The levels in the new program are basically the same levels SPG uses now so the conversion is easy. Why would somebody that only qualified for Gold with SPG think they are entitled to Platinum status?
I found the argument that
SPG Gold = matched MR Gold to equal new MR Plat to be a weak argument due to it being based on matched MR status. I could perhaps see allowing them to have a 'taste of Plat' by making them new MR Plat through the end of 2018 but not into 2019.

I find the argument from senior LT SPG Plats to be given MR LTPPE much more compelling. I expect this issue to be fixed in favor of them by making LTPPE an attainable status in the future, especially after one's two accounts (MR and SPG) are merged. For those angry over this sleight, I suggest patience and a well written note or two to corporate.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

They are not going to give away Platinum to a random UA person that hasn't done enough nights to qualify for Platinum and why would they? That would make absolutely no sense.
Except that they did. Marriott previously and continue to give away status of 50 nights (old Gold/new Platinum) to a random UA person.

In addition, per the official MR twiiter account yesterday: a random UA person can still expect same benefits and rewards (emphasis added).

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:26 pm

Dear Marriott, please clarify and update website accordingly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.