Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Same here, legacy SPG account says Gold, legacy Marriott account says Platinum. I have no reason to initiate a merge of these accounts myself (I only have about 10,000 points, not looking to redeem right now), so hopefully I can keep the accounts separate until next year. If I actually retain Platinum for a few months, I may switch over some stays to Marriott

Also, does the new status year start January 1 or January 31?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Well I got downgraded. Was Marriott Platinum beforehand (via Marriott, not SPG) and so was expecting Plat Premier. My account just shows Platinum, as if I was Marriott Gold beforehand.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I was LTG in both programs before, now I am Platinum Premier on my MR account and Platinum on me SPG account. The accounts were linked so there may be some fallout from that. I expect once I combine my accounts and they do the year-end sweep, I will move to LTPP. Hang in there and see if you actually get the higher benefits before that accounts are corrected.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:35 pm

Pretty disappointing that I was already Plat with SPG and I’m still just a Marriot Plat. Now I get bunched in with everyone that has gold from Amex. There goes my upgrades.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
If you earn SPG plat this year through legacy stays... will you be plat premier next year with Marriott
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Westin
If you earn SPG plat this year through legacy stays... will you be plat premier next year with Marriott
are they only doing that at the end of the year? If I’ve apready qualified it will not show this year? I have some stays planned for this year and PP would be helpful.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by evotion

are they only doing that at the end of the year? If I’ve apready qualified it will not show this year? I have some stays planned for this year and PP would be helpful.
Found more info, you need 75 spg nights to get PP for next year
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:00 pm

That’s so disappointing. Why do Golds get bumped to Platinum and those who are already Plat through stays are acrewed over?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I was LTG with SPG linked with MR got MR GLD now then both my MR and SPG account showed PLT, now after I manage to merge the accounts still PLT... according to the LT # in the merged accounts I have 9 years as PLT since I will definitely do at least 50 nights this year I hope to become LTPP after 1st Jan.... We will see....
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
Same here, I’m Platinum now but my partner - in the same situation - is Gold.

By the way, I only see Platinum Elite on the Marriott app, but I see Gold on the SPG one.

What will happen when I combine the accounts?
When you combine you will be on your way to Lifetime Silver.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That’s so disappointing. Why do Golds get bumped to Platinum and those who are already Plat through stays are acrewed over?
Because MR Gold took 50 nights, and Plat is the new 50 night level

If you got to Plat through stays, you aren't over 50 nights most likely anyways, so you are Plat oo
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Because MR Gold took 50 nights, and Plat is the new 50 night level

If you got to Plat through stays, you aren't over 50 nights most likely anyways, so you are Plat oo
i think my disapleasure lies in the fact that some Amex Plat members who received SPG gold also got platinum.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
The majority of this thread is discussing the fact that SPG Golds will NOT become Plat in the new program. However it appears some are currently showing that, but likely in error.

If you achieved SPG Plat through stays (and less than 50 nights), be happy that it will get you Plat for now, because next year you’ll need 50 nights to qualify for Plat.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:39 pm

I nailed 53 so far this year. Still shooting for the 75 mark.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

i think my disapleasure lies in the fact that some Amex Plat members who received SPG gold also got platinum.
Note to you and anyone else - don't trust anything you see on the site right now. Whether it is good (like me apparently being Ambassador through 2020 apparently) or bad (like me having $0 spend on my 43 SPG stays this year)...none of it is really real at the moment. Give it some time.

The only thing we know is, if you get LT status in a level, you'll get the annual status in that level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.