Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Regardless of the various arguments on whether SPG Golds were ever really "entitled" to Marriott Gold benefits, etc., etc... one thing is clear: SPG Golds will be losing a benefit mid-year, which is guaranteed 4 pm checkout.

It’s been clarified as of today. Starwood Lurker also just posted a clarification here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29734454-post980.html
Lifetime and Elite Status Updates
Since our announcement last month, we’ve been listening to member feedback and have a few updates and clarifications to share.

LIFETIME

Based on member response, we’re adding more flexibility for Lifetime Platinum Premier qualification. Now, SPG and Rewards members who achieve 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into that Lifetime tier, which starting in 2019 will no longer be available to earn. Rewards members can also qualify under the current criteria (750 nights + 2M points) through year end.

As we shared previously, members can also qualify for all other Lifetime tiers through both the new criteria on an ongoing basis and under the current criteria through December 31, 2018. And remember, we’ll combine lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August.

AUGUST ELITE STATUS

We’ve also received some questions regarding status in the new program for members who status matched to receive elite in both SPG and Rewards. In August, nights earned (vs. linked status) will determine Elite status in the new program. For example, a SPG Gold member (10 stays/25 nights) who status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Gold Elite (25 nights) in the new program, whereas a Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) will be mapped to Platinum Elite (50 nights).

The below FAQs hopefully provide even more detail, and have now been added to members.marriott.com. Please be sure to let us know what other questions we can help answer.

Additional FAQs

Can I earn Lifetime status under the legacy requirements (active prior to August 2018) for Lifetime Elite status in Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG? If so, when will I be notified of my Lifetime Elite status?

Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

If I will not be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, will I have the ability to earn into this level in 2018?

Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

How are years at tenure calculated for Legacy MR and RCR members?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)

Question: Does this mean that SPG Gold who is given the elite status from Amex Plat or an airline program with 0 or less than 5 qualifying nights will get matched to... nothing (ie basic)?...
Answer: I'm told "No" –if you have the card and get Gold today…you will be mapped to the NEW Gold tier. So, if you have the AMEX Plat/Centurion card that gives you Gold today…you’ll still get Gold status – just with the newly-defined post August 2018 benefits.
Print Wikipost

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

The issue for me is that I’ve got several stays booked for the fall at Marriotts and chose them bc I got lounge access with breakfast. If I won’t have that, then Marriott should give better notice than three months.
They have stated existing earnings will continue through the end of the year. I don't see any reason to expect on-site benefits will to. However, I'm also sure there will be some rouge properties that will say the old program died 8/1. Understand, according to the T&Cs, changes DO NOT require any prior notice. Yes, it would be nice, but not required. If your confirmation states any benefits you have to have, make sure to save/print a copy as it exists NOW as what is in their system can change, again, without notice.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I doubt confirmation email contains any information about elite benefits

from all my stays, hotel give me the benefit according to my status at check in.

It would be difficult to extend benefit as per status on booking as one could book a stay up to 1 year later
i wont be surprised if the poster get reduced benefit but as i said ... this is not normal condition so it might be different
Old May 1, 2018, 5:31 pm

I couldn't read through the rest but I actually earned my SPG stays for 50 night Plat and now I get lumped in with people that just paid an AF? Awesome.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:45 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alanslegal
The answer to this thread is extremely relevant for myself as I have at least two bookings in mid August - whilst two stays might be peanuts to some of your road warrior Platinum and above elites, to me it is a significant and big deal. Why? As a current SPG Gold who then matched to Marriott Gold, this means I have breakfast included in this status as of right now. So when I booked there was this benefit in place, and (after I have booked and) come August 1, that benefit is taken away. Bait and Switch? Kind of, that's for sure.

If I end up Gold come August 1, so be it and that's how Marriott wants to roll, but let me know as early as possible so I can make alternative hotel arrangements if it does not suit my situation. For now, my August bookings, there are two Hiltons and a Conrad that I can easily move my booking too if I lose my breakfast entitlement. Again, its peanuts in the scheme of things but lots of peanuts (from me and anyone else out there) becomes a lot - that's the big deal.
Whilst I was focusing on Marriott's changes where I had two booking and potential loss of breakfast due to new Gold Status benefits; I totally forgot that I also have 2 SPG stays in the first week of August, one at the W Amsterdam, the next W London. Now I lose my guaranteed 4pm check out come August 1. W's are my hotel of choice so lucky I won't be switching any of those stays over.

So current SPG hotel bookings as a SPG LTG come August 1, you lose 4pm check up! *mad*
Old May 2, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by coltonatx
SPG Golds by nights do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
SPG Golds by Amex Plat do NOT deserve the same treatment as someone staying 50+ nights at Marriott or Starwood.
End of the story. People are cyring because someone might be taking your freebie away.
As of 2019 they won't, so I wouldn't let it raise your blood pressure too much.

And I can't help noticing that an awful lot more people seem to be upset by the notion of Amex Plat's possibly getting something they 'do NOT deserve' while people seem less fussed about residents of one particular country being able to get 15 elite night credits in Marriott just from holding the right credit card.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Whilst I was focusing on Marriott's changes where I had two booking and potential loss of breakfast due to new Gold Status benefits; I totally forgot that I also have 2 SPG stays in the first week of August, one at the W Amsterdam, the next W London. Now I lose my guaranteed 4pm check out come August 1. W's are my hotel of choice so lucky I won't be switching any of those stays over.

So current SPG hotel bookings as a SPG LTG come August 1, you lose 4pm check up! *mad*
It's too soon to say whether you will lose those benefits come August 1st, so I wouldn't lose hope or do anything drastic just yet. Ignore people who say they already know for sure what will happen to SPG Golds on this date.
Colin likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yurtripper
It's too soon to say whether you will lose those benefits come August 1st, so I wouldn't lose hope or do anything drastic just yet. Ignore people who say they already know for sure what will happen to SPG Golds on this date.
My understanding is that SPG LTGs on August 1st will still be SPG Gold and get all of the SPG Gold benefits during the remainder of this year at Starwood hotels. If someone is nervous, they probably should avoid combining the accounts right away in August.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Maybe you could look into the Marriott platinum challenge to get Platinum status. It only requires 9 stays.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by evotion
I couldn't read through the rest but I actually earned my SPG stays for 50 night Plat and now I get lumped in with people that just paid an AF? Awesome.
No, you're still good.

Before you could pay an AF, get SPG Gold, and then convert that to MR Gold. For clarification, until the programs merge, MR Gold is effectively the SPG Platinum for MR properties.

Because of this I'm arguing that the changes bring a lot of value to Marriott status holders as the 50+ night level will be held by fewer people.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
No, you're still good.

Before you could pay an AF, get SPG Gold, and then convert that to MR Gold. For clarification, until the programs merge, MR Gold is effectively the SPG Platinum for MR properties.

Because of this I'm arguing that the changes bring a lot of value to Marriott status holders as the 50+ night level will be held by fewer people.
The lounges are probably going to be a lot emptier with the Amex credit cards and SPG Golds no longer able to match to old MR Gold and breakfast + Lounge access. Less contention for upgrades too as the new Gold Status is ineligible for suite upgrades.

Only way to get MR Plat via automatic credit card spend will be $75K spend on either the new SPG Luxury visa or existing Ritz Carlton Visa ($450 annual fee).
Of course, unless they change rewarding events (10 Marriott nights elite credit for every meeting room booked), you could just "buy" Platinum for $500 or less (15 elite night credit annually on the lower credit cards @ $95 annual fee, 4 meetings @ $100 each = 40 nights for $400, $95 + $400 = $495 for 55 nights), which would make the credit card spend to get Platinum seem absolutely not worth it...
Old May 2, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Plat
duplicate
Old May 2, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Plat
this really had been handeled horribly. transition with 3 months notice mid year without clearly defined benefits post merger. luckily i didnt have marriott/spg stays booked post 8/1, but i need to book hotels soon for august. the uncertainty is certainly costing them my business.
the hyatt changes, as bad as they were, were at least handled with transparency and fairness.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

From my read, as of August 1st there will be three programs, MR, SPG, and MPG. As long as you keep your MR & SPG accounts opened, you should expect the benefits as they are stated and I would push back if any property tries to say otherwise. At some point after August 1, we will be asked to merge our accounts and the legacy accounts will cease to exist. At that time the new benefits should kick in. If you are pushing for a status bump under one of the legacy programs then you will want to stay on that/those programs until your goal is reached. If you want to shoot for a new status in the MPG program, then merging will be needed. I can only imagine the mess they will make for us and themselves if they try to keep all three open/active for everyone at the same time. Lots of details need to ironed out still. Pay attention to the releases and decide what is best for you.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
From my read, as of August 1st there will be three programs, MR, SPG, and MPG. As long as you keep your MR & SPG accounts opened, you should expect the benefits as they are stated and I would push back if any property tries to say otherwise. At some point after August 1, we will be asked to merge our accounts and the legacy accounts will cease to exist. At that time the new benefits should kick in. If you are pushing for a status bump under one of the legacy programs then you will want to stay on that/those programs until your goal is reached. If you want to shoot for a new status in the MPG program, then merging will be needed. I can only imagine the mess they will make for us and themselves if they try to keep all three open/active for everyone at the same time. Lots of details need to ironed out still. Pay attention to the releases and decide what is best for you.
This is how I read it also. Which is why I am pushing to hit my Marriott lifetime target by August 1. Actually I am stretching to reach it by July 15 so that I am clearly grandfathered before the first wave of changes.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
This is how I read it also. Which is why I am pushing to hit my Marriott lifetime target by August 1. Actually I am stretching to reach it by July 15 so that I am clearly grandfathered before the first wave of changes.
Wise if you can do it. Unclear if they will just use your status as of some date in August and not consider any activity after that to determine who gets MPG LTPP. Still way too many questions.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.