Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is it make sense that get more SPG points right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex SPG,CSR,Amex PGR,

just want to know that should I get more SPG points right now since it will convert to Marriott point later. thanks
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What do you mean by "get more points"?

Getting more points is always a good thing. Buying them is almost always a bad thing.

If you have a choice between a Marriott stay and an SPG stay, all else being equal, multiply the SPG points you will earn by 3 and take whichever one has a higher number.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
What do you mean by "get more points"?

Getting more points is always a good thing. Buying them is almost always a bad thing.

If you have a choice between a Marriott stay and an SPG stay, all else being equal, multiply the SPG points you will earn by 3 and take whichever one has a higher number.
I think the OP is simply wondering if the strategy of racking up Starpoints now, prior to the merged program one-time 3x conversion, is a good one. Perhaps the OP is wondering if the 3x conversion makes it truly equal (or more/less advantageous) and thus racking up of points now would be moot.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
3:1 conversion has been in place for over a year and a half, so 3:1 is no different that 3:1 has been for quite some time.

Maybe it's because I earn everything through stays, but I've never had a "should I earn points now or not". If you stay, you earn them, if you don't you don't. I'[ve never had the ability to just decide if I want points now or not.

"Truly equal" and "should I do it now" just make me ask - compared to what?

OP, can you provide any more clarity on what you are asking and what your choices/options are?

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 17, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I’m womdering the same thing. My AF is due and I’m not even sure I’ll bother trying for a retention. I plan to switch to the AMEX BBP card for all my spend and am not sure if I need to just do it now or try to rack up SPG points before the conversion or what.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Would converting Starpoints to airline miles be better to do now vs. after August or does it make a difference?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Would converting Starpoints to airline miles be better to do now vs. after August or does it make a difference?
no difference... BUT you might want to look into Marriott's Nights and Flights. You may end up getting a better value through there...

ie, Transfer 90k SPG --> Alaska will net u 110k miles.
Transfer 90k SPG --> 270k Marriott --> Nights and Flights, 7 day certificate for cat 1-5 hotel + 120k Alaska Miles.
Wisdom and tfong007 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is close to a lifetime status level, then points could well make a difference, depending on the situation and the exact rules/timing that may impact the OP's situation. There's no easy answer in this case at this time.
Wisdom and travelpye like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4
no difference... BUT you might want to look into Marriott's Nights and Flights. You may end up getting a better value through there...

ie, Transfer 90k SPG --> Alaska will net u 110k miles.
Transfer 90k SPG --> 270k Marriott --> Nights and Flights, 7 day certificate for cat 1-5 hotel + 120k Alaska Miles.
Thank you. I've made it to LTP with Marriott and Platinum with SPG. I've booked a lot more things with Starpoints so I'll have to learn about the Nights and Flights. So far that sounds like a good option. Is it possible you use points and upgrade to first class on the flights?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm personally thinking heavily about buying 30,000 Starpoints while they are on sale.

I can buy 30,000 Starpoints for $683 which will transfer to 90,000 points in the new program. On the SPG side, that would cover one night in a top-tier category 7 hotel (assuming it's not in peak redemption period). I often use 30,000 Starpoints for rooms that would cost over 1,000 a night on a paid rate, so buying the points on sale is a pretty good savings even before factoring in the added points from the conversion to the new program. Then, in the new program, the value is even better, since from August-December 2018, the max standard redemption for top-tier hotels will be 60,000 points, making the original 30k purchased Starpoints cover a full night in a category 7 property while still having 30,000 points left over.

We're essentially getting access to any hotel in the existing SPG and Marriott system (excluding all-suite properties) for 20,000 points from August-December 2018 (before they implement peak pricing and an 8th category). This is a great, rare, discount that I want to take advantage of while I can!
EuropeanPete and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:30 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Wisdom; Apr 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: misquote
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Problem buying the points is too many hotels fall into the 10,000 a night range. Hard to get value with those hotels and its so hard finding something in the 3000-4000 range.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by svo242
We're essentially getting access to any hotel in the existing SPG and Marriott system (excluding all-suite properties) for 20,000 points from August-December 2018 (before they implement peak pricing and an 8th category). This is a great, rare, discount that I want to take advantage of while I can!
This is very concisely put, thank you. I've not had a chance to really think things through in detail, but it looks like I should plan in a 5-night award stay in Q4 of this year somewhere a bit special.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
OP, until we see which properties fall into the new award charts they announced it would be hard to say. This assumes you solely redeem Starpoints for free stays. If you redeem them via airline transfers then the answer is yes, as that program remains and is effectively unchanged.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you think Marriott will take August as an opportunity to devalue Starpoints/Marriott Rewards points or not. Or will they try their best to leave them equal. No one knows. My personal opinion is that they will not differ much more than the normal devaluation that occurs each year in March. Only this time, we will get two minor devaluations this year... we had one in March and will now get one in August. While that sounds bad... it isn't necessarily. There are some properties that still offer excellent redemption value and others that, now, do not. Or at least less so. Of course, if I'm wrong and they take the opportunity to devalue by 1/3 for example, then in hindsight it wouldn't have been prudent to collect add'l Starpoints.

Personally I'm going to continue to collect them through July 31 (or the announcement of the property charts). It's only 3 months of spend/earnings and shouldn't be a material waste if it proves they devalue dramatically (which again, I find unlikely). Perhaps more a 5%-10% deval via property creep into higher tiers.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is very concisely put, thank you. I've not had a chance to really think things through in detail, but it looks like I should plan in a 5-night award stay in Q4 of this year somewhere a bit special.
Can I ask a question I am sure is answered already? I book a 5 night stay at Wailea Maui every March and I booked that stay already for 2019. Is my rate of 160,000 for 5 nights locked in or will it be repriced in August to the new chart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.