Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LAX
Why? If the restrictions do not apply until August 26, why does it matter that I have a Ritz or Marriott card now if I intent to apply between August 1 and 25? Unless Amex drags its feet and won't approve until on or after 26.

LAX
I don't believe the cards will be available for application until August 26.

UPDATE: I just completed a chat session with Amex. The representative stated the Amex SPG Luxury Card would be available beginning August 9, 2018. So, it looks like your plan may work!

Last edited by controller1; Jul 28, 2018 at 12:14 pm Reason: Provide information from Amex
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by controller1
The restrictions on the SPG luxury card state you cannot have had one of the previous Ritz-Carlton or Marriott cards in the past 30 days (Ritz-Carlton) or 90 days (Marriott). Even if the restrictions do not begin until August 26 it is already too late if you have any of those cards today.
The SPG luxury restriction is if you have OPENED a Marriott CC in the last 90 days or gotten any bonus (upgrade or opening) in the last 24 months. So basically long term Marriott CC holders can still get the SPG Luxury.
Also, if SPG Luxury is released before Aug 26 (all rumors so far) then there is a small window where these restrictions may not apply. Amex has now put into a system where they tell you up front if you're not eligible for a bonus, so hopefully that will be in place. Not sure if this (which seems to be one of the first of its kind where the credit card company is reaching back to their partner, in this case Marriott/SPG, records) will be a real time feed where they will be able to tell you upfront.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pitflyer
The SPG luxury restriction is if you have OPENED a Marriott CC in the last 90 days or gotten any bonus (upgrade or opening) in the last 24 months. So basically long term Marriott CC holders can still get the SPG Luxury.
Also, if SPG Luxury is released before Aug 26 (all rumors so far) then there is a small window where these restrictions may not apply. Amex has now put into a system where they tell you up front if you're not eligible for a bonus, so hopefully that will be in place. Not sure if this (which seems to be one of the first of its kind where the credit card company is reaching back to their partner, in this case Marriott/SPG, records) will be a real time feed where they will be able to tell you upfront.
Correct as far as Marriott CC but not for Ritz-Carlton CC. Also see my update that shows Amex told me they will begin offering the SPG Luxury card on August 9.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:14 pm

Correct as far as Marriott CC but not for Ritz-Carlton CC. Also see my update that shows Amex told me they will begin offering the SPG Luxury card on August 9.
The 8/9 date used to appear in the faq on the spgpromos site. Now it just says August. I’m not sure I’d count on that date.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have much everyday spend on my SPG Amex (usually around $1100/month). I think I have two main choices:

1. Keep using SPG for every day spend. It's one of my oldest accounts (since 2004). The annual free night will be nice.
2. Cancel SPG Amex and get a CFU for everyday spend. I already have a CSR that Mr. Gfunk and I put shared expenses on, so I can use it in conjunction with that.

I don't travel for work much anymore, so any travel benefits from the card would be for personal travel.

What do people think?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I don't have much everyday spend on my SPG Amex (usually around $1100/month). I think I have two main choices:

1. Keep using SPG for every day spend. It's one of my oldest accounts (since 2004). The annual free night will be nice.
2. Cancel SPG Amex and get a CFU for everyday spend. I already have a CSR that Mr. Gfunk and I put shared expenses on, so I can use it in conjunction with that.

I don't travel for work much anymore, so any travel benefits from the card would be for personal travel.

What do people think?
Unless you really want the Marriott points, I would go with the CFU. No annual fee and every dollar spent is worth a minimum of 2.25 cents in travel with the CSR, and you can often do much better than that.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:45 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I don't believe the cards will be available for application until August 26.

UPDATE: I just completed a chat session with Amex. The representative stated the Amex SPG Luxury Card would be available beginning August 9, 2018. So, it looks like your plan may work!
I wonder if the August 26 date will specifically be tied to the application date, or whether it might be tied to the date the bonus is earned, which would be at least a month after August 9.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

What do people think?
If you value the annual free night enough to justify the annual fee, then there is no reason you need to cancel your SPG Amex even if you shift all your spend to the CFU/CSR, especially since keeping the SPG Amex would have credit report benefits.
Explore SE Asia likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you value the annual free night enough to justify the annual fee, then there is no reason you need to cancel your SPG Amex even if you shift all your spend to the CFU/CSR, especially since keeping the SPG Amex would have credit report benefits.
Thanks for the input. I never really thought about the hit to my credit. I was planning to get rid of the SPG personal card as my wife has recently been complaining that we have too many cards. Unfortunately, we have had the Starwood Amex for so long it's the only card number she has memorized!

A question: won't it be going away next year any way?

I think I'll keep the SPG personal Amex for now. I don't see the luxury card or the basic Marriott in my future.

Starting today, my cards look like this:

CSR: Everyday spend, travel and restaurants, Priority Pass when overseas
SPG Business: Gas, Wireless, Marriott hotels
SPG Personal: nothing (except when my wife has a brain cramp), bonus only
Citi American Elite Executive card: Admiral's Club, extra elite mileage, free bag, priority boarding,American purchases (maybe CSR is better??)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ckelly14

A question: won't it be going away next year any way?

I think I'll keep the SPG personal Amex for now. I don't see the luxury card or the basic Marriott in my future.
Amex/Starwood has announced that the current holders of the SPG Amex will be allowed to continue to hold that card. There will be no new applications taken for the card.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Amex/Starwood has announced that the current holders of the SPG Amex will be allowed to continue to hold that card. There will be no new applications taken for the card.
Wow, I mean it is getting heavily devalued and I guess we should have known this was coming... but still shocking to just know that it is being officialy retired.

I have to suspect that was one of THE most popular credit cards out there (based on the number of even non-flyer talk-esque friends that carried it) and so it really is the end of an era...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KParks
Wow, I mean it is getting heavily devalued and I guess we should have known this was coming... but still shocking to just know that it is being officialy retired.

I have to suspect that was one of THE most popular credit cards out there (based on the number of even non-flyer talk-esque friends that carried it) and so it really is the end of an era...
You will still be able to apply for an SPG Amex. But, it will be the SPG Luxury Amex ($450 annual fee) because that was the deal that Marriott worked out with the two banks issuing co-branded credit card products. Under the terms of the agreement, Amex will issue ultra-premium consumer cards, and Chase gets to issue the mainstream and premium consumer cards. (I guess both banks get to issue small business cards!)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do people think?
It occurs to me I could also:

3. Cancel the SPG Amex and get a Chase Marriott Visa. For the same annual fee I'd also get 100,000 points and the same MR earnings, annual free night, status, etc.

I'm sitting on 215,000 UR points and maybe 30,000 MR points, so part of me feels like I should go with the CFU anyway to maximize UR points and consolidate all earnings with UR, while keeping the SPG Amex for the annual free night and for use at Marriotts. I am at about 1/24 for new accounts, so I should be able to get any card I want. I just have always liked Starriott for some reason. It seems the consensus here is still keep the SPG for Marriotts and use CFU for everything else? What other options should I consider? Am I really over thinking this?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
How do you know the 2 new points/$ is starting today? Will amex start showing .667 points/$ until August 18?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:25 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
First bill to pay and not sure which way to go. I am almost inclined to keep going with SPG out of habit but know that is not the right way to go. Choices are CSR, Amex Plat, and AAexec or citi DoubleCash. My thought is they are hoping the majority do not have "flyer talk mentality" and will continue charging as usual at the devalued rate.

If I want another card the Bof A premium card with the booster for status seems to be the best bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.