Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I can't wade through 450 prior message. What is the exact date when my AMEX purchases will convert to Marriott points at a 33% devaluation. As Amex points convert to SPG points convert to SPG points only at the end of a billing cycle, I want to stop all AMEX purchases when they will no longer earn 1 SPG point. I'll then cancel the card. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I can't wade through 450 prior message. What is the exact date when my AMEX purchases will convert to Marriott points at a 33% devaluation. As Amex points convert to SPG points convert to SPG points only at the end of a billing cycle, I want to stop all AMEX purchases when they will no longer earn 1 SPG point. I'll then cancel the card. Thanks for any advice.

This thread is worth reading to hear about everyone's strategies for optimizing non-category, non-bonus spend starting when the AMEX SPG card earnings are devalued.

The date you are looking for is AUGUST 1, 2018. Starting on this date, your SPG card spend will earn 2/3 of the previous value....2 Marriott points instead of the previous 3 Marriott points. All SPG points will be converted to Marriott points on this date.

Following extensive discussion and reaching out to both AMEX and SPG, I believe our current hypothesis is that, regardless of when your statement closes for the month, ALL eligible purchases made through 11:59:59pm on July 31, 2018 will earn SPG points under the old earning scheme (equivalent to 3 Marriott points). However, effective at 12:00:00am on August 1, 2018, the 33% devaluation will go into effect for all further purchases.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
I'm leaning heavily toward moving from SPG to Amex Everyday Preferred for my daily spend. The only thing I question is that my yearly grocery spend far exceeds 6K per year. Should I just suck it up, and switch to my CFU for groceries after I meet the 6K limit, or is there a better option that I'm missing? BTW, if I move everything to the Amex, I will easily meet the 30 transactions per month as well.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I think the value of being Gold in the new Starriott program is just not there - no lounge access, no breakfast, no 4 pm late check out, and having to bet for 2 pm late check out. I often have a hard time to tell the difference between an "enhanced" room and a regular room.

1.My current plan is still to keep the AMEX SPG for another year to see whether the free night certificate is worth anything to me, but have no plan to put any non-Starriott spend on it.
2.Put all bonus spends through CSR and Freedom. The UR points can be then be transferred to Hyatt or airlines.
3.Put the first $15,000 of non-bonus spend through my new AMEX Hilton Ascend card for a free weekend night certificate. That card gives me Hilton Gold automatically, which gives me breakfast and lounge access.
4. Use the remaining non-bonus spend to meet the spend requirements for other new credit cards that I will get in 2019.
LF72 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Following extensive discussion and reaching out to both AMEX and SPG, I believe our current hypothesis is that, regardless of when your statement closes for the month, ALL eligible purchases made through 11:59:59pm on July 31, 2018 will earn SPG points under the old earning scheme (equivalent to 3 Marriott points). However, effective at 12:00:00am on August 1, 2018, the 33% devaluation will go into effect for all further purchases.
Question about time zones, as I will be in Asia then: Is it 11:59 pm on July 31 in the zone where the card is used, or 11:59 pm on July 31 at Amex headquarters? And are you sure it's when the charge is incurred, or when it posts?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rfrost
Question about time zones, as I will be in Asia then: Is it 11:59 pm on July 31 in the zone where the card is used, or 11:59 pm on July 31 at Amex headquarters? And are you sure it's when the charge is incurred, or when it posts?
I think it's whatever the transaction date listed for the charge is, which would generally be based on the local time of the merchant. If you're thinking of any last big spending I wouldn't do it on July 30 or 31 though since there's occasionally a chance that a transaction date could come through later than the actual transaction for whatever reason (and for online spending many places will use a transaction date of when the purchase ships, not when it's ordered). For normal day-to-day spending you may have to settle with a couple of days of risking inefficient card use one way or the other...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think it's whatever the transaction date listed for the charge is, which would generally be based on the local time of the merchant. If you're thinking of any last big spending I wouldn't do it on July 30 or 31 though since there's occasionally a chance that a transaction date could come through later than the actual transaction for whatever reason (and for online spending many places will use a transaction date of when the purchase ships, not when it's ordered). For normal day-to-day spending you may have to settle with a couple of days of risking inefficient card use one way or the other...
Thanks. I am not planning huge last minute spend (I agree that would not be prudent), but will be incurring some charges on July 31 and August 1 (Japan time). I think I'll use the SPG Amex on July 31, but not on August 1.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I think the value of being Gold in the new Starriott program is just not there - no lounge access, no breakfast, no 4 pm late check out, and having to bet for 2 pm late check out. I often have a hard time to tell the difference between an "enhanced" room and a regular room.

1.My current plan is still to keep the AMEX SPG for another year to see whether the free night certificate is worth anything to me, but have no plan to put any non-Starriott spend on it.
2.Put all bonus spends through CSR and Freedom. The UR points can be then be transferred to Hyatt or airlines.
3.Put the first $15,000 of non-bonus spend through my new AMEX Hilton Ascend card for a free weekend night certificate. That card gives me Hilton Gold automatically, which gives me breakfast and lounge access.
4. Use the remaining non-bonus spend to meet the spend requirements for other new credit cards that I will get in 2019.
This sounds a lot like what I am doing, except I have CSP instead of CSR and I think I am going to cancel the SPG AMEX. I am also putting restaurants on the Ascend for now, but may or may not change once I hit $15k for the year. 6HH seams about equal to 2 UR to me.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unless your statment closes July 30 I don’t see why anyone would risk the decal by waiting until last minute to charge. Is the float really worth that much?
surfmonkey89 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Unless your statment closes July 30 I don’t see why anyone would risk the decal by waiting until last minute to charge. Is the float really worth that much?
I am not sure whether that implied question was for me, but if it was, it is not a question of float, but of logistics. There are some things I want to buy in Tokyo, but because of my arrival time there on July 31, I may not be able to buy them until the morning of August 1, hence my question.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
My plan for August:
- CSP for travel/dining.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards for non-bonus spend. The points are worth 2.9c apiece, and as an Acela-corridor resident I can spend them pretty quickly. Bank of America just brought back the 30,000-point signing bonus; after the first year, I might downgrade to the no-annual-fee version, since I won't really be using the bonus categories.
- Keep SPG in the sock drawer, to charge Marriott stays and the annual free night.
- I should wait a few months before another Chase application, so I'll consider Hyatt or CFU then.

I'll prepay some bills on the SPG card this weekend before bidding it adieu.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by rfrost
I am not sure whether that implied question was for me, but if it was, it is not a question of float, but of logistics. There are some things I want to buy in Tokyo, but because of my arrival time there on July 31, I may not be able to buy them until the morning of August 1, hence my question.
Makes sense. However, there's never a guarantee on the purchase or posting date, particularly when processed overseas. If you are satisfied with the possibility of earning 2 Marriott points instead of 3 per $1 then go for it. Personally I would take 1 Chase UR point > 2 Marriott points but it's your call.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
What about the Amex Blue Business Plus with 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar (on the first $50,000 in purchases each year)? That’s worth over 3.5% rebate.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by damon88
What about the Amex Blue Business Plus with 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar (on the first $50,000 in purchases each year)? That’s worth over 3.5% rebate.
Ding Ding!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Ding Ding!
That's good for airline but doesn't help much with hotel points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.