Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lets talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Lets talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Okay, so now I'm thinking of doing the following:

- upgrade the SPG Amex personal to the SPG Luxury card when the upgrade becomes available - and be sure to stay at an SPG/Marriott property once a year to offset the annual fee with the $300 hotel credit, plus free night
- upgrade the MR Chase to the new MR Premier Plus (worth it for only $10 more per year)
- ditch the SPG Business before August 1 - no reason to pay annual fee after Sheraton lounge benefit goes away
- keep AMEX Plat - I love the Uber credit and Centurion/PP lounges and 5x points on airfare

SPEND:
- SPG Luxury - for SPG/Marriott stays (6x points) and Restaurants (3x points; hopefully broadly includes fast food, Starbucks, etc.)
- AMEX Plat - for airline tickets (5x points)
- MR Premier Plus Visa - for merchants that do not take AMEX

(Ironically, both the SPG Luxury and MR Premier Plus will earn the same 6x at SPG and Marriott properties, so it no longer will matter which card one uses at these properties to maximize points....correct?)

But I still have not solved the problem of....NON-bonus, NON-category spend. I'm still looking at a 33% devaluation in points regardless of which of the above I use. Everyone seems to be saying the CSR. But I'm not sure I want to have THREE high-annual fee cards...
osotoc likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ESpen36

- upgrade the SPG Amex personal to the SPG Luxury card when the upgrade becomes available - and be sure to stay at an SPG/Marriott property once a year to offset the annual fee with the $300 hotel credit, plus free night
- upgrade the MR Chase to the new MR Premier Plus (worth it for only $10 more per year)
- ditch the SPG Business before August 1 - no reason to pay annual fee after Sheraton lounge benefit goes away
- keep AMEX Plat - I love the Uber credit and Centurion/PP lounges and 5x points on airfare

SPEND:
- SPG Luxury - for SPG/Marriott stays (6x points) and Restaurants (3x points; hopefully broadly includes fast food, Starbucks, etc.)

(Ironically, both the SPG Luxury and MR Premier Plus will earn the same 6x at SPG and Marriott properties, so it no longer will matter which card one uses at these properties to maximize points....correct?)

But I still have not solved the problem of....NON-bonus, NON-category spend. I'm still looking at a 33% devaluation in points regardless of which of the above I use. Everyone seems to be saying the CSR. But I'm not sure I want to have THREE high-annual fee cards...
Highest travel rewards card for non-bonus, non-category spend is the US Bank Radisson visa coming in at ~2.5 cents per (2.5%). Of course you generally want to redeem in Europe or abroad so if that isn't a possibility may not be a good option for your everyday spender.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist

SPEND:

I would consider ditching the SPG Luxury card and replacing it with CSR. This solves your problem of 3 high fee cards, and replaces the 6 points you'll get at SPG/Marriott with 3 UR points, which are worth a minimum of 4.5%. That is pretty much a wash. You will get the same 3 points (4.5%+) for restaurants and for all other travel, considerably better than SPG Luxury giving 3 new Marriott points for restaurants and direct booked flights only.

I am ditching the SPG Amex, keeping CSR, and added the Amazon Prime Chase card (5% back at Amazon and Whole Foods where together my spend is significant). I will use CSR for everything but Amazon/WH, so will get 4.5%+ on travel and restaurants, 5% on Amazon/WF, and 1.5%+ on everything else with just 2 cards (only one high fee). I may keep a no-fee Amex (probably the Biz Plus) for cases where Amex is the only card accepted.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Wondering whats going to happen to Canadian Amex SPG. Not sure if I will keep it.

whats more interesting to me is how Amex Plat will treat the merger. SPG Gold with Amex Plat has always been a great benefit. What now??
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:44 pm

I am based in Taiwan with several US-issued credit cards. I have been wondering what to do when the August 1st comes around.

Currently, I have the AMEX SPG Biz version and use it for any non-bonus spend when I'm traveling internationally. I use my Citi Prestige for bonus spend. Citi's transfer partners are very useful for people living in Asia: BR, CX, SQ, etc. I've gotten quite a few good trips with this combination of card usage. As of now, I am inclined to use Citi Prestige for future non-bonus spend, due to the 1:1 transfer ratio when I travel internationally. It's a step back from pre-August-1st 1.25:1 ratio with the AMEX SPG Biz card, but at least it's better than the post-August-1st 0.825:1 (assuming the transfer bonus stays). I will keep the AMEX SPG Biz card for my hotel stays and the new one night free certificate. I will probably be using my AMEX Blue Biz+ for my non-bonus spend domestically (in the US).

Last edited by fuigo; Apr 29, 2018 at 5:49 pm Reason: Adding information
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:50 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

SPEND:

For restaurant and travel spend the CSR transfers to Marriott three points to three points so I think that may be the best card for that category. I am looking for some thing more than the CSR for my other spend. Leaning towards the fancy BofA card.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
SPG Amex member since 2002 ... not sure now

The SPG Amex has been the best travel card in the business, as evidenced by the unfortunate fact that it will not continue without a devaluation.

It really does not surprise me given how lucrative the SPG Amex was, but now Im not sure which direction to go after 16 years.

The luxury card seems appealing but it would be nice if the earn was at least getting the 4 points/$ like the business card on its category spend.

This is the one negative change to the combined program - pretty much everything else is fine if not better.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by abk
For restaurant and travel spend the CSR transfers to Marriott three points to three points so I think that may be the best card for that category. I am looking for some thing more than the CSR for my other spend. Leaning towards the fancy BofA card.

Good point. If CSR earns 3x points broadly on travel and dining, and those points transfer to Marriott at 1:1 ratio, then earning is functionally equivalent to the old SPG cards (1 SPG = 3 MR). Unless I'm missing something! (and unless Marriott and Chase discontinue the transfer program, which I'm sure they can at any time without notice)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:47 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Good point. If CSR earns 3x points broadly on travel and dining, and those points transfer to Marriott at 1:1 ratio, then earning is functionally equivalent to the old SPG cards (1 SPG = 3 MR). Unless I'm missing something! (and unless Marriott and Chase discontinue the transfer program, which I'm sure they can at any time without notice)
Ironically it is also the best card to use if you want to transfer miles to Southwest.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:01 am

For those of us with the SPG BUSINESS card, how about changing to the Capital One Saark Cash 2%.? Isn’t that worth more than UR points CSR redeeming at 1.5 on the UR platform?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by redmaple9
For those of us with the SPG BUSINESS card, how about changing to the Capital One Saark Cash 2%.? Isnt that worth more than UR points CSR redeeming at 1.5 on the UR platform?
2% cash back is probably better than 1x spending on CSR; it may or may not be better than CFU (No AF; 1.5x on everything; CFU UR pts xfer to CSR). If you use UR pts for Hyatt you should be getting close to 2%/pt, so 3%/$ on all spend using CFU. I also use these for Southwest - my last redemption was just over 1.6 cents/pt cash value (so pts earned on CFU @1.5x yields 1.5x1.6 = 2.4 cents/$) but the key here for me is that Southwest flights booked with pts are fully refundable, so the value to me can be notably more than 2.4%.

I am now planning on splitting my non-bonus spend between CFU (when I want UR) and AMEX Blue Biz Plus (when I want AMEX MR. BBP earns 2x MR on all spend up to $50K; I also have AMEX Biz Plat, so buying alrline tix via AMEX Travel gets me a floor of 3%.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

This is probably a dumb questions... but I would love some feedback from someone familiar with the Ultimate Rewards Program. I just applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card to get the annual 3% bonus on all purchases. My initial plan was to just hold the card for a year and then upgrade to the CSR card which costs $450 per year in order to transfer my points to the UR program. However, I am worried now that Chase is going to get rid of the option to transfer points according to rumors.

So my question is, can I get the CSP card at $95 instead of the CSR card for $450 just for the ability to transfer points on a monthly basis to mitigate my risk? I will still upgrade to the CSR card after a year to get access to the 3x points on travel and dining. However, are there downsides to trying the CSP card first? Will by points transfer at a lower rate? Or is the transfer rate the same? If all is the same, then my thought was why not save $355 for the first year since the CFU card basically will do the same as the CSR card for free for the first year.

Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited by digimon; Apr 30, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
iS

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I have no intention of cancelling my Amex SPG as I'll still get a free night.
i got the AMEX SPG card last fall with the intent of just churning it for the sign-up bonus. With the changes, it seems beneficial to keep the card when it renews, but not using it for anything except direct spend on SPG and Marriott hotels. As I see it, for just under a $100 annual fee going forward, I get

1. A free night (I dont recall any restrictions to low category properties, but correct me if im wrong.)

2. Silver status (whatever that is worth)

in summary, it sounds like my Amex SPG card gets kept, but joins my Chase Visa IHG Hotel in the sock drawer.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by digimon
However, are there downsides to trying the CSP card first? ...Any insight would be helpful.
I believe once you get the CSP, you are precluded from getting the CSR bonus within two years after you get the CSP bonus. You may be able to do a PC.

CSR offer terms: "The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. If you are an existing Sapphire customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products"

Last edited by EdofFX; Apr 30, 2018 at 12:30 pm Reason: Clarify further
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
If you still travel you may want to keep the card... you will receive a 35,000 free night cert in August. That should still have a value >$95
SO, this is 35K "MARRIOTT" points after Aug 1, so the equivalent of 11,666 SPG points as of today as I read it. That's not particularly compelling for a $95 AF. A Hilton free weekend night is more valuable to me for a similar annual fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.